Neighbors

So you have 2 plots.  you are about to build on one (closest to your neighbour by the sounds of things)  I have lost track of your plans for the second plot.

Your neighbour appears to be offering over the odds to buy the plot closest to them to leave you the plot furthest from them to build on.

Is it not at least worth discussing this with them?  it could offset some of your build costs?

18 minutes ago, ProDave said:

So you have 2 plots.  you are about to build on one (closest to your neighbour by the sounds of things)  I have lost track of your plans for the second plot.

Your neighbour appears to be offering over the odds to buy the plot closest to them to leave you the plot furthest from them to build on.

Is it not at least worth discussing this with them?  it could offset some of your build costs?

Yes we have two plots 

weve had a number of offers for the plots and 2.5 acre field which there stables back onto

She employed a planning consultant to stop us getting full planning 

The time to negotiate was then 

The field is the key 

I don't know the full story (apologies if it is on a different thread) and it appears you are frustrated with your neighbours for previous actions, some of which may be fully justified.

My only advice would be, don't cut your nose off to spite your face - neighbours can cause significant issues both during the build and whilst you're living there - I know I could do without that added stress. Maybe a 30 min conversation is worthwhile even if you end up with the same outcome as now - nothing to lose?

• Like 1

I see an upside to this.  If you could build on the plot furthest away from your neighbour, and sell the other plot and perhaps the paddock at the same financial gain if not more than selling the plot as a plot, then you also benefit from not having a neighbouring property built there.

I would be up for having that discussion.

An alternative might be to build on the furthest plot and keep the rest and see how much they would pay for a 50 year no build clause on the land?

15 minutes ago, ProDave said:

At the end of our road, someone got PP for a house on what was a paddock.  It went on the market as a building plot and building plot prices.  the other neighbour bought it just to stop anyone building on it.

Exactly 

When my mate applied for planning 

He would have take an offer as a field without planning 

Say 100k But the hung back thinking he would be refused 

Then when we bought all Tgey hung back thinking they would strip us building with the help of her planning consultant 

I received several calls from her asking to buy part of the field I said the neighbor at the other side had also asked and I’d give both first refusal if I chose to sell 

Then she came up with this 

We are conscious that paying over 300k for what she wants won’t remain grazing for long 

5 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

You mentioned that the time to negotiate was at a prior point, are you not in a stronger position now?

Let it lie for a few days for you to think it over.

The time to negotiate was when her planning consultant had us on the ropes with the flood zones 

It was looking like a refusal 

Planning wise we have got exactly what we wanted and now hold all the cards 

The road is being dug up on Tuesday for the water Conections B Regs next Wednesday Break ground in three weeks 

4 Brickies lined up for 4 weeks 

Bricks are and engineering bricks ordered 

TP ordered 

All this would have to be shelved 

Just now, nod said:

The time to negotiate was when her planning consultant had us on the ropes with the flood zones 

It was looking like a refusal 

Planning wise we have got exactly what we wanted and now hold all the cards 

The road is being dug up on Tuesday for the water Conections B Regs next Wednesday Break ground in three weeks 

4 Brickies lined up for 4 weeks 

Bricks are and engineering bricks ordered 

TP ordered 

All this would have to be shelved 

Can you quantify all of this cost, time and effort/hassle? And a bit extra for your troubles?

Another case of people think they own everything they can see. 

Alas they made it clear “business is business” when they objected to your planning. 

None the less, they’ve come back to the table in a reasonable manner.All you need to do is think of a price. You can’t loose really. 

• Like 1

Surely the value of the plot is greater now that you have planning and not beforehand when you thought they would win their appeal through the planning consultant.

I'm with others - there is nothing to lose in having the conversation and they may have extremely deep pockets.

Edited by Happy Valley

2 hours ago, Thedreamer said:

Can you quantify all of this cost, time and effort/hassle? And a bit extra for your troubles?

The problem is If we where offered 150 k over what we paid for the plot and half field 

We wouldn’t take it 

They seam to think NO is just a negotiating tactic

The plot and field Location are perfect for us The field was bought in order to future proof it for us against further development