Mini Stove > Cabin job.

zoothorn

3 hours ago, saveasteading said:

My bad question. I meant that glass/rock wool is fibres that are glued together where they touch. If it gets wet it stinks and falls apart. so maybe that would also fail in heat.

If it is compressed enough that wont matter. 

I have rockwool stuffed hard around an uninsulated pipe, perhaps 50 thick, then plasterboard and it only gets slightly warm so you should be fine, but keep an eye on the surrounding area for any sign of colour change.

3 hours ago, saveasteading said:

My bad question. I meant that glass/rock wool is fibres that are glued together where they touch. If it gets wet it stinks and falls apart. so maybe that would also fail in heat.

If it is compressed enough that wont matter. 

I have rockwool stuffed hard around an uninsulated pipe, perhaps 50 thick, then plasterboard and it only gets slightly warm so you should be fine, but keep an eye on the surrounding area for any sign of colour change.

Thanks understood SAS. I'll keep a close eye on colour change here: I can also undo the plate easily to check on the loft wool. If I find some rockwool offcut.. will replace it.

Thanks, zoot.

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

That’s only 200mm up from where the 2 sections join - not surprised it gets hot as at the join to the enamel the inner and outer skins are connected. 

Good point. Hopefully I'm being paranoid... but worth being super cautious being a timber cabin. Will keep a close eye on this area for first few fires. Get my workshop extinguisher in there until I'm confident, just to be safe.

Thanks Peter. zoot.

For it to be an issue you’ll need to get the stack above 350°C all the way up through the roof - it will be the felt that melts first ..!! Carry on as you are, but a small extinguisher is always a good plan .! Aldi have them in the centre aisle this week for £12

14 minutes ago, PeterW said:

For it to be an issue you’ll need to get the stack above 350°C all the way up through the roof - it will be the felt that melts first ..!! Carry on as you are, but a small extinguisher is always a good plan .! Aldi have them in the centre aisle this week for £12

Lidl had carbon monoxide alarms the other day.

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

That reply gives me confidence. And relax. I'm still putting my rad thermometre on next time tho. 

Dang, our Aldi has a very limited 'diy/ chaps' aisle.. barely anything sold tbh.

A mini 🧯 is a good idea though. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

I might have some "proper", green, Rockwool slab offcuts that would be suitable if you'd be happier with that. If so I'll post them. I know where you live! 😂

That would be terrific Onoff. Saves me scrabbling in skips like an aber hobo. Let me know the £postage. 

One last thing I'm considering, is putting in firebricks ( 2 sides, & the back ). Idea being to minimize the stove's output. It's a belter & I'm gonna cook in there as it is.

Usefully the 2 larger/ longer sides, lean outwards. So if I fashion a back.. then two correctly- cut sides can pop in to keep back in place.

Just an idea. But essentially I think I can say the job.. is complete! Great.

Thanks zoot.

45 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

That would be terrific Onoff. Saves me scrabbling in skips like an aber hobo. Let me know the £postage. 

How deep does the insulation layer need to be?

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

Where do you think I get most of my stuff? 😂

Haha. Well I have done so myself, occasionally!

I'd say I need a cox apple thickness, & about a snake long. Not a huage dog eating python, but about a 3 footer. Eg grass 🐍 snake.

Zoot.

23 hours ago, zoothorn said:

I'd say I need a cox apple thickness, & about a snake long. Not a huage dog eating python, but about a 3 footer. Eg grass 🐍 snake.

Well without proper measurements that ain't happening then.

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

Well without proper measurements that ain't happening then.

I had snakes on the mind, well got sloworms here.. lovely things. 🦎 Lizards tho not snakes.

3ft x 3"?

Thanks, zooter.

2 hours ago, zoothorn said:

I had snakes on the mind, well got sloworms here.. lovely things. 🦎 Lizards tho not snakes.

3ft x 3"?

Thanks, zooter.

It must be me!

So you have this, what am I looking at? They're the boards the roof is made from and there's felt straight on top? We're looking up inside the cowl? 

You'd like a cylindrical bit of Rockwool 3' long and 3" in diameter you'll wrap around the silver pipe, between that and the wood?

22616ED8-5538-42DD-BCE9-C831A18CA374.jpeg.b40412d8e81e22f79c67732b13df683d.thumb.jpeg.81ebda0e75fd984071af024c71e1f6c0.jpeg

What diameter is the silver pipe and what slope is the roof angle?

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I can trump that.  I was out in the garden the other day and heard something splashing about in the burn.  It was an Otter.

Wow you lucky devil. I've never seen one. How fantastic. We have them 'apparantly' over the hill.. but spent ages watching for them/ nowt. Or should I say newt.

Anyway to bookend another fantastic job, with thanks again for all your patience & help chaps, with another zoot musical interlude. Thanks y'all. 

Zoot.

52 minutes ago, Onoff said:

It must be me!

So you have this, what am I looking at? They're the boards the roof is made from and there's felt straight on top? We're looking up inside the cowl? 

You'd like a cylindrical bit of Rockwool 3' long and 3" in diameter you'll wrap around the silver pipe, between that and the wood?

22616ED8-5538-42DD-BCE9-C831A18CA374.jpeg.b40412d8e81e22f79c67732b13df683d.thumb.jpeg.81ebda0e75fd984071af024c71e1f6c0.jpeg

What diameter is the silver pipe and what slope is the roof angle?

Your looking at me spout.

No seriously Onoff, just a 2 or 3ft x 3" bit of rockwool... is fine.

Is that ok? Thanks zh

• 4 months later...

@Onoff few pics as an update.

Had 3 fires so far. I lined inner stove walls & back with 30mm firebricks, even so no.1 was literally like a sauna, 34*C in cabin. no.2 I reduced wood to Max half the stove volume, 28*C still a bit hot. No.3 last night 26*C almost ideal.

So, it takes a tiny ammount of logs/ super efficient, & I know in coldest winter I can ramp it up a bit & keep warm. Battery lights, ipad with a downloaded 2 progs for a few hrs: warm, offgrid & offline, & free wood too (collected on walks). Every other evening minimum I'll be in here now, as Im far warmer than in house & far cheaper too- truly fantastic results.

F5E29AD1-6B62-4295-9A6E-F0F76BAB4D99.jpeg

CEF72DF2-68FB-436B-B936-847EF57467C6.jpeg

89BD82F0-3317-4AFC-AC52-9BD1FD310E92.jpeg

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Well clear one of your garages and you can do similar and “escape “ the world 🤷‍♂️

I only have the one garage.

Anyway, it's far too close to the house. If I had a stream I'd put the cabin the other side as SWMBO can't swim. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I only have the one garage.

Anyway, it's far too close to the house. If I had a stream I'd put the cabin the other side as SWMBO can't swim. 

Then you would have to build a bridge (on my list of projects to do)

@zoothorn is the Guitar okay in there all the time?  it will get cold when the stove is not on.  My acoustic goes out of tune on it's own in a constant temperature house, but I rarely play that much preferring the pretend Stratocaster.

54 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Then you would have to build a bridge (on my list of projects to do)

@zoothorn is the Guitar okay in there all the time?  it will get cold when the stove is not on.  My acoustic goes out of tune on it's own in a constant temperature house, but I rarely play that much preferring the pretend Stratocaster.

Good point, I moved my (albeit battered) Taylor indoors as temp differences are alarming. This tho: a £10 dusty gtr shop corner 'lemon', very rusty strings, tho it is a peach.

Thanks chaps, very proud of this project- once I nestle down in evenings I'm transported back to solo wild camping (with car) in NZ, just my video shot that day for company in evenings. I really make the best of, & relish the solitude thing. 

Zoot

• Like 1