Where is the kWh price heading in 2022?

Some percentages..

1st April 2022 - The cap increase was £693 from £1,277 to £1,971 per year. 1971/1277 = 154% or a 54% increase.

1st October 2022 (predicted) - "Cornwall Insight expect that the energy price cap will increase from the current figure of £1,971 per year based on typical use, to £3,500". 3500/1971 = 178% or a 78% increase.

1st January 2023 (predicted) - Offgen say any predictions for next year are unreliable but If we take the £4200 figure in the media that's... 4200/3500 = 120% or a 20% increase.

Overall Jan 22 to Jan 23 the percentage change would be 1.54*1.78*1.2 or 4200/1277 = 328% or a 228% increase.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Temp said:

Some percentages..

1st April 2022 - The cap increase was £693 from £1,277 to £1,971 per year. 1971/1277 = 154% or a 54% increase.

1st October 2022 (predicted) - "Cornwall Insight expect that the energy price cap will increase from the current figure of £1,971 per year based on typical use, to £3,500". 3500/1971 = 178% or a 78% increase.

1st January 2023 (predicted) - Offgen say any predictions for next year are unreliable but If we take the £4200 figure in the media that's... 4200/3500 = 120% or a 20% increase.

Overall Jan 22 to Jan 23 the percentage change would be 1.54*1.78*1.2 or 4200/1277 = 328% or a 228% increase.

228%! Makes you want to cry.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Does your system 'island', or are you still reliant on the 50p a day grid connection?

This bit is confusing. I don’t think it can island - but ‘blackouts ‘ are currently rare for me .At the moment my ‘bill’ is just the wanky standing charge aka ‘admin ‘ etc. Bs . 
Can’t complain though .

12 months from now when ‘ off peak ‘ is 15p kw and peak 70p you lot are (expletive deleted)ed ! 😉

Edited by pocster

3 minutes ago, pocster said:

12 months from now when ‘ off peak ‘ is 15p kw and peak 70p you lot are (expletive deleted)ed

So will small time landlords.

When the electricity bill is the same as the rent, don't thinkk the rent will be paid.

Edited by SteamyTea

22 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

So will small time landlords.

When the electricity bill is the same as the rent, don't thinkk the rent will be paid.

Well there you go . Hmo for example 5 tenants . ‘ bills’ divided by 5 . Bad ; but not end of the world … 

3 hours ago, Temp said:

Some percentages..

It's worth remembering that the cap is on the price, and the £1971 etc is that applied to average usage for a 2.4 person household.

On 01/04/2022 at 17:03, ProDave said:

But that in room display is really just a toy, it is not the official meter (though some people think it is)

Talking of SSE, I have not yet received my FIT payment for the meter reading sent in January, and looking at other forums neither have a lot of other people.  Something about being taken over by ovo?

Email today about OVO taking over SSE fits and the changes and the expected delays for more processing while they hold onto monies…..

14 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yep - and it’s a big big big problem 

Ouch.

Talking to a New York based expat today, and he is expecting a 6k energy bill that he is paying out of the rent for his house in London.

If you are paying the bills, then I'd say that you should keep the £400 and the £150, to count against a bit of the blank cheque in possession of your tenants.

But ranting heads (ie TV company correspondents) on the TV are saying watch out for dodgy landlords who pay the bills trying to keep the refund. All of them - planks.

The only defence is an ultra-efficient house.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Ouch.

Talking to a New York based expat today, and he is expecting a 6k energy bill that he is paying out of the rent for his house in London.

If you are paying the bills, then I'd say that you should keep the £400 and the £150, to count against a bit of the blank cheque in possession of your tenants.

But ranting heads (ie TV company correspondents) on the TV are saying watch out for dodgy landlords who pay the bills trying to keep the refund. All of them - planks.

Average ( before rises hmo gas / electricity) bill 3k a year . From October 6k . I have 3 HMO’s like that . So 9k to find ( ignoring base rate increase !!! ) . Literally just increased some rents ( effectively bill part ) but hard to claw anything like 9k back ….

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

Ouch.

And the tenant uses a granny lead to charge the EV!

free fuel in the rent. Win win

4 hours ago, Marvin said:

Make me want to PV the lawn...

Might be better to plant it with a fast growing timber crop. That way it will store up the sun's energy for you during the summer so you can burn it the following winter. Cheapest battery I know of that actually does work. Worth the few years it'll shave off your life burning stuff in the home? Given the alternative of freezing or starving to death (not what will actually show on the death certificate but the ultimate cause nonetheless) then yes, I think so.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Radian said:

Might be better to plant it with a fast growing timber crop.

If plants convert 0.5% of the suns power into useful fuel, and I doubt in the UK they are that good. A square meter will give you about 50 kWh.m-2.y-1.

Probably only get half of that with timber combustion technology.

So 25 kWh.  So maybe a days worth of thermal energy.

A 200 W (about 1m2) module at 15° will knock out 5 kWh for the whole of December.

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Bloomberg predicting power shortages and possible blackouts this winter.     

When I was doing my post grad, I got accused of scaremongering about blackout.

Edited by SteamyTea

5 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

If plants convert 0.5% of the suns power into useful fuel, and I doubt in the UK they are that good. A square meter will give you about 50 kWh.m-2.y-1.

Probably only get half of that with timber combustion technology.

So 25 kWh.  So maybe a days worth of thermal energy.

A 200 W (about 1m2) module at 15° will knock out 5 kWh for the whole of December.

I seem to recall that a tonne of Willow provides around 4,000 Kwh so harvesting 12.5kg from trees planted one meter apart in a 80mpatch should just about get you through the winter.

15 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Makes me want to use even less.

And buy a thicker jacket.

Yes, indeed, but they also hammer up the standing charges so people like me who use little energy still get hit. I am 50p a day for electric standing charge! However, I am now playing a game, as they increase the costs, I find ways to reduce my imported electricity and keep my bill about the same.

I might need to speed up my off grid electrical system and tell them to come and take their meter away. Oh how I would enjoy that.

• Like 1