Share your recycling successes

Radian

15 hours ago, Kelvin said:

When I first met her she was removing stuff from a skip

One our site managers called me 'the skip inspector'.

That other MD I mentioned, also took to allowing a limited number of skips per project. He then found that site managers were hiring grab lorries instead....hardly buying into it. But he did spot this so it was stopped.

One of our managers got the message, but dealt with it by squashing down the contents with a digger. Good idea but again hadn't got the fundamental principle. He was rather good at recycling copper from a demo though....none of that in the skip.

Happy to pass on more tips on request....I got an award for it. Actually it was more for efficiency of design, but it is all waste whether dumped or used unnecessarily.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

One our site managers called me 'the skip inspector'.

That other MD I mentioned, also took to allowing a limited number of skips per project. He then found that site managers were hiring grab lorries instead....hardly buying into it. But he did spot this so it was stopped.

One of our managers got the message, but dealt with it by squashing down the contents with a digger. Good idea but again hadn't got the fundamental principle. He was rather good at recycling copper from a demo though....none of that in the skip.

Happy to pass on more tips on request....I got an award for it. Actually it was more for efficiency of design, but it is all waste whether dumped or used unnecessarily.

Yes more than happy to see more tips. 

Recycling:

We had to demolish 1/4 of the stone building, and rebuild in stick (kit as they call it locally).

The stone was crushed by the demo company, using the jaw basket on the excavator. It all went to make the very rough base of the new driveway for future parking/garage.

The roof timbers were cut apart and de-nailed. 20% unusable through worm or rot.

The rest was trimmed on the table saw to get rid of the surface worm-holes.

Then together with galv roofing salvaged from the courtyard roof, this was the result.

The cladding was bought locally at a very good price.

It will house the water tank, log store and, so they tell me, sauna!

image.thumb.png.1fce385876c39da0c55b2d8256d7639f.png

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Radian said:

One power tool I wish I had - a thicknesser. 

Me too, until I saw the damage a friend of the family did to his hand on one a couple of years back. It was only a small one too.

I still don't have any idea how he managed it.

5 minutes ago, markc said:

Thicknesser is pretty safe (bade is hidden under the roller feed), planer table on top is a different matter. 

He definitely said it was a thicknesser, but it does make more sense if he meant one of those open-top planers (which I know can be extremely dangerous). 

I didn't really want to go into the details given it had only happened days before. He was still in a lot of pain and concerned about long term damage. He ended being fine after a few months.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jack said:

He definitely said it was a thicknesser, but it does make more sense if he meant one of those open-top planers (which I know can be extremely dangerous). 

Usually Called: Planer Thicknesser and I have one somewhere, not sure quite when I last used it / only once on the build so far but I am expecting it to get work during the fit out.

4 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Usually Called: Planer Thicknesser and I have one somewhere, not sure quite when I last used it / only once on the build so far but I am expecting it to get work during the fit out.

Yes, I assumed he was using this sort of thing from his description of it (before the accident):

49917.jpg

But it may well have been one of these convertible types that can expose the blade:

90493.jpg

First I talked myself out of getting one. Then I mentioned it in this thread and changed my mind then @jack mentioned the accident so I changed my mind again. But they are a useful thing. I've got 26 lengths of batten to regularise for my picnic table top and marking each one and planing by hand is not appealing.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Radian said:

First I talked myself out of getting one. Then I mentioned it in this thread and changed my mind then @jack mentioned the accident so I changed my mind again. But they are a useful thing. I've got 26 lengths of batten to regularise for my picnic table top and marking each one and planing by hand is not appealing.

My feeling is that something like this is fine for a job like the one you're planning(/planing). You set it up once and carefully do the same thing over and over in a single session.

I think it's more when you're using something often enough to get complacent but not often enough to become experienced that you're more likely to have trouble, especially when every job is different to the last.

Took down a mezz level we built 12 years ago made from 2x6 when my parents moved business premises, about 30 pieces of 2x6 ranging from 3m-4.8m - ripped a lot of it down to 2x3 and used it to build a large garden shed/woodstore/tumble drier area/kids toy/general junk store complete with 11mm OSB sheathing and roof from saved sheets of OSB. I then clad the shed in the old T&G floorboards from our old sunroom, which I ripped the T&G off then used a propane torch to burn to create a shoshugibon treatment then oiled.

It is also 4 courses of concrete block off the concrete slab floor using the left overs from the build which I did to Scotland-proof the lower structure from the wet weather. My first solar array went on this shed so its got some pretty green credentials!

I still have 4 pieces of the 2x6 left that I was thinking of building a picnic table with. 

Edited by Carrerahill

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Planers were used a lot in the furniture industry.

This is how the 'old timers' ordered 5 pint of ale.

Part of the reason I'm wary about high-speed bladed power tools:

I have the makita planer /thicknesser and as shown above for quite a few years  and it’s a great bit of kit,  the thing I like most about it is the ability to put old rough timber through it and get lovely smooth dimensional timber out the far side…..  i put old pine from scrap furniture through and it comes out priceless, whiskey barrel lids are transformed and old sarking becomes usable for many jobs… run the finished wood through the router and you can make all sorts of lovely bits. I made this picture frame from off cuts of western red cedar cladding that I got out of a skip…..  the picture was a jigsaw that my 6 year old did and wanted to keep.

Many of my windows are framed in dressed wood that was nothing but scrap before it went through the planer 😁

91BB8411-502B-418F-9630-4E63C57AEC06.jpeg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Cpd said:

I made this picture frame from off cuts of western red cedar cladding that I got out of a skip…..

That's fantastic. I think I can see that you routed the outside edge but did you use the planer to put a shallow slope over most of the width? Can they do that? 

27 minutes ago, Radian said:

That's fantastic. I think I can see that you routed the outside edge but did you use the planer to put a shallow slope over most of the width? Can they do that? 

I did not put a slope on this one but have on others, you just have a piece of wood cut to the desired angle that acts as a sledge, you screw your good wood to the sledge and send it through. Obviously making sure the screws are below the planner depth…… yes routed the outside edge to fancy ut up a bit 😁

• Like 1

OK, that makes sense. Funny how it looks sloped in the photo. I've used the sledge trick to rip a long length or UPVC drainpipe into a pair of half round channels on a table saw before. Just screwed it to a piece of 2x4 and slid that along the fence of a table saw.

Two old metal filing cupboards left wedged into roof space by previous owner dragged out and turned into sturdy log store clad with a bit of left over featheredge and roof offcuts from temporary cat run when we moved in.  South facing and working a treat in the sunshine....

logstore - 1.jpeg

• Like 1

One year on and the cats have adjusted fine thanks. A bit more info below in case anyone facing similar dilemma when a house move combined with immediate building start.

They stayed in the run in the daytime (less stressful than being around all the demolition and early building work). After 6 weeks we took them round the plot on leads and by eight weeks they were settled to run free and now indifferent to any new tradesperson or power tool noise. No cat pictures but I thought it might be worth showing the cat run in case anyone else facing this - I built it in 900 x 1800 modules so when they were settled we moved it and clad in featheredge (leaving the chicken wire on) and added a pitched roof as an extra tool / material store and whilst garage demolished so we recycled the cat run too.

catrun - 1.jpeg

shed.jpg

• Like 2

I have recycled my old, rotten  red door, to a blue one.

More paint in the morning, and hopefully the drip bar will turn up.

Still needs a bit of threshold work, but it closes properly now.

Only taken me 15 years.

Resize_20220814_193758_8787.jpg

Resize_20220814_193759_9962.jpg

Resize_20220814_193800_0945.jpg

Resize_20220814_193801_1838.jpg

Edited by SteamyTea