Share your recycling successes

Radian

7 minutes ago, Radian said:

Looks like you made it into a flush panel? Very smart!

Had a bit of 5/8th marine ply to hand, nice and sturdy and allowed me to get the twist out, near enough.

Leaves a gap on the other side that I may fill with 3 layers of twin walk polycarbonate sheet. Should help the U-Value.

Working in getting the place a lot more airtight this year. Investigating the loft this coming week to see what I can do up there. I get a draft coming down the stud wall and out the electrical socket. So that must be making the whole walk colder than it should be.

Ply and PU adhesive are my best friends at the moment.

It is hard to make a house airtight when 100+ MPH winds are not unusual.

4 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Ply and PU adhesive are my best friends at the moment.

They've been good to me too. How does that expanding PU adhesive fare in the wet though? I've not had much experience of it in outdoor applications but just used it on my picnic table makeover. Will be overpainting though.

19 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Working in getting the place a lot more airtight this year. Investigating the loft this coming week to see what I can do up there. I get a draft coming down the stud wall and out the electrical socket. So that must be making the whole walk colder than it should be.

Yes common for me to unscrew a switch or socket in a house in winter to be greeted with icy cold air coming out of the box.

As a start, find everywhere cables go from the loft down into any wall and seal the holes.  but that is unlikely to be the only place the cold air is getting in.  If you have a suspended floor, you will find the same with cables going down under the ground floor.  Ditto for pipes and stack pipes in particular will likely run in great big non sealed boxed in compartments.

19 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Ditto for pipes and stack pipes in particular will likely run in great big non sealed boxed in compartments.

Now there is a thought, I had not thought of.

The boxed in downpipe joins the stud wall. Think it is easy to access from the loft.

Excellent.

I recycled all the rubble from the garage blown down by Storm Eunice. I filled the garage pit that I didn't want, and used the rest in the gabions I put up to support the rear wall of the garage. I faced the gabions with sandstone found in the garden.

BEFORE

Garage3.thumb.JPG.a0eda8d5adf31c7e848916d5796b6338.JPG

Pit5.thumb.JPG.fc1beb3ae2b35be0a6fc349d4700d9ab.JPG

AFTER

1709125931_Finishedgabions.thumb.JPG.3a27c1de32577d75a741cc2eb9c48edc.JPG

• Like 1

Pallets, insulation, VCL, cladding boards, sarking boards, breather paper, all left overs from build.  Only added roof sheeting.

Needed a shed to hold water borehole filters and pump control. And log store X2. So build this.

IMG_20220520_081740.jpg

9 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Pallets, insulation, VCL, cladding boards, sarking boards, breather paper, all left overs from build.  Only added roof sheeting.

Needed a shed to hold water borehole filters and pump control. And log store X2. So build this.

IMG_20220520_081740.jpg

Very good. Highwater quoted me almost £3k for a shed to put all the borehole gubbins in. 

I know ridiculous price for a 10’x8’ timber shed. My neighbour has one they put in 8 years ago and I had a look at it and it was in poor shape. All my borehole plant will go in the garage anyway. 

• 4 months later...