Do you ever ask yourself?

Daily!

Actually several times a day at the moment. It took our window company 7 (yes SEVEN) attempts to send through a post survey contract that was accurate. They have though apologised and conceded it hasn't been their "finest hour". :/ 

Us too. Going round in circles looking at rainwater harvesting, makes your washing machine smelly, solar pv, cost versus payback term, Passive slab(kore/isoquick) or floating slab with insulation on top designed by PHPP/architect. What will provide our DHW, Sunamp or put gas in and just fit a gas combi boiler. Then do we have UFH, if so ASHP only or gas boiler and hope it works without buffer tank or do we need to fit one? MVHR, do we have an inline heater or GSHP loop BPC have started doing £1800. 

If we go eco who will design all the systems that will make them work together as most plumbers struggle to come up with the know how to make it all work efficiently. (gas combi looking good)

I have wanted to build my own house for years but there is a lot to be said for buying one already built!!

We are building to Passive levels but there comes a point when you end up spending so much on renewables/technology that you end up begrudging the whole idea of parting with your well earned money.

How did everybody else make all their decisions and what did you base your decisions on? 

Every day in every way I just get more consumed with the idea that this mountain is higher than it was yesterday - can that happen I ask and  decide that the world of self build is not subject to geological laws. I think that @jack said that we probably spend too much time thinking weras we few, we happy few, want the most optonal outcome and thinking is just part of achieving it while the possible side effect of over thinking damages confidence. 

We moved in nearly 5 years ago - and I still regularly ask myself that question.

The trouble with a self build project is you throw so much energy and emotion into it that at the end its hard to get any perspective. I still get wound up about aspects of the build that didn't work out as well as they might have - even though objectively they are not really very important. A friend of mine who did a big renovation project had lots of grief with the supplyer of his granite worksurface - and even years later he gets wound up about the shape of the flecks in his granite not being quite right. It looks fine - but to him its taken on a disproportionate importance.

To give some reassurance to those still in the eye of the storm and worrying about overthinking things - the things I really thought about and researched and stressed over are the things that worked best about my build. The things that wind me up tend to be aspects that I spent a fortune outsourcing to 'experts'.

lol - this is like a support group - 'self build anonymous'! My name is Reddal and its been 5 years since I built a house.... Do I get a badge or something?

- reddal

• Like 1

Think I'm blessed because my build was a modest hut and my expectations were lower...was up today helping a neighbour with his decking and we popped next door for lunch into my Hut.

The odd creak or red wine stain matters not a jot, I'm actually very pleased and *forgive me* quite proud of what I've created.

It's the quality of the time you spend cooking a meal or having a smoke and a half on the balcony that makes it good?

Have some friends around and crack open the fantastic value rioja from Lidl...get in?

Edited by Tennentslager
A 'half' is Scots for a Scotch
  • Like 2

Asked the same question on loads of occasions ESP when things go wrong but believe me when it's all done/nearly done/done enough to move in then you will start to enjoy it. I am in near 30 months now and it has flew in. 

47 minutes ago, reddal said:

To give some reassurance to those still in the eye of the storm and worrying about overthinking things - the things I really thought about and researched and stressed over are the things that worked best about my build. The things that wind me up tend to be aspects that I spent a fortune outsourcing to 'experts'.

Pretty much mirrors my experience, with the sole exception of the hot water system, where I just didn't foresee the problem created by the higher than anticipated heat losses.

The one thing I'm really thankful for is the problem I had initially in trying to find an architect.  That experience, albeit indirectly, pretty much forced me to spend about a year learning about house design and building regulations.  I didn't really intend to get quite so involved, but once I'd got a design that worked, in terms of internal spaces and performance, and more importantly, met with approval from SWMBO, I felt competent enough to tackle other things that I'd originally intended to outsource.  In the end, it became a bit of an intellectual challenge to see just how much I could do, without using any paid "expert" help.

I have to say that I would never have had the confidence to take on all this additional work if it wasn't for the help gleaned from everyone here, directly and indirectly, and including all those on this forum's predecessor.  Much of that help didn't come from questions I asked, but from reading the replies to the questions of others, and I'm extremely grateful for all this help.  I'm certain I wouldn't have been able to tackle anywhere near as much myself without all this help and support, both practical and emotional.

I don't think we've really had that thought - it's just like a hobby now - we do it ever weekend and 3 nights a week but if we get sick of it, we just have a week off - we do wonder what on earth we'll do once we're finished - will we be able to just sit about and enjoy it?

It's not been particularly stressful for us since we have few contractors and the people we've had in have all been brilliant. I reckon if we'd had main contractors it would have been a different story. 

6 hours ago, Alexphd1 said:

Asking myself that question just now.... trying/learning to float the garage floor on a Friday night.....

20170414_175559.jpg

That's why you get professionals that know just when to "hit" it

8 minutes ago, Alexphd1 said:

@SteptoeNo fun in that. TBH it took a bit longer than expected but it's came up pretty good. Don't think we will bother painting it now which is a bonus! 

Glad you got it rescued,

My mate got his whole floor done with a power float, it looks amazing,

That's his finished surface, it's like glass/marble/whatever you want to describe it as,

I don't suppose a garage needs that detail, :)