Are any TV 'Architects', Architects?

Ferdinand

Kevin McCloud of Clan McLoud is an Interior Designer. (GD C4)

Charlie Luxton is an Architectural Designer. (small spaces, Building the Dream etc on C4)

Sarah Beany is a Property Developer. (Double the House for Half the Money and others).

Building Dream Homes (BBC2) seem to have a panel of architects invited on.

Kieran Long is an Eng Lit Graduate who writes about archecture and is a bod at the V&A. (House that 100k Built).

George Clarke *is* an Architect. (Amazing Spaces, Restoration Man for C4).

Getting desperate, The House Doctor is a property marketing something.

Are there any others?

I seem to recall an interesting one who could have been created by Wooster called Jolyon or  Tarquin or Rupert or similar who was half of the boffin team for the Restoration programme about bids for National Lottery money. 

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

5 minutes ago, AliG said:

I don't know, but I really miss the original House Doctor. She was so no nonsense, yet i felt she really did care about people under the frosty exterior.

Ann Maurice?

She got the IP in the web name somehow :-).

https://www.ipo.gov.uk/tm/legal/decisions/2004/o03204.pdf

They started up again last year with a different presenter.

"House Doctor returned to Channel 5 for a new series on 3 October 2016 with American interior designer Tracy Metro replacing Ann Maurice. Channel 5 have ordered 45 new episodes."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_Doctor

Ferdinand

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

This - "the Nigella of DiY".

"Julia has spent 30 years perfecting her power-tool techniques"

julia-kendall.jpg.9f7fdf12bcb78ca54389f3b458dee626.jpg

Now behave :).

You can go on a one day course for £385 for which you get 1/12 of the attention.

Credit: http://www.juliakendell.com

"Concludes at 5pm"....I'd be way finished by then! 

Not the most flattering pic you could have found! :)

Some people can get Irish channels the same way we've all the BBC and other UK channels so listing what we have in Ireland:

Room to Improve

• Dermot Bannon - Registered Architect

Eco Eye

• Duncan Stewart - Registered Architect

Home of the Year

• Hugh Wallace - Interior Designer and Registered Architect
  • Deirdre Whelan - Interior Designer
  • Declan O'Donnell - Registered Architect

During the housing boom in Ireland everyone was calling themselves an architect even if they didn't have any qualifications so now the word 'Architect' is protected, unlike in the UK, and you can't use the word architect unless you're a member of the RIAI (Royal Institute of Architects) which is the Irish equivalent of the RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects).  As a result the TV presenters kinda have to be real registered Architects.

32 minutes ago, Onoff said:

"Concludes at 5pm"....I'd be way finished by then! 

Not the most flattering pic you could have found! :)

Has to be construction to be on topic.

You can put a full length laminated one in the shower of you new bathroom. (In 2025 or whenever :ph34r:).

(Senses impending Sword of Damocles)

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dudda said:

During the housing boom in Ireland everyone was calling themselves an architect even if they didn't have any qualifications so now the word 'Architect' is protected, unlike in the UK, and you can't use the word architect unless you're a member of the RIAI (Royal Institute of Architects) which is the Irish equivalent of the RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects).  As a result the TV presenters kinda have to be real registered Architects.

@Dudda

The title 'Architect' is protected by law in the UK too. There's a big difference in length of time required to train to be an architect compared to an architectural technologist or architectural designer. Typically its 7 years instead of 3 years training.

38 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Has to be construction to be on topic.

You can put a full length laminated one in the shower of you new bathroom. (In 2025 or whenever :ph34r:).

(Senses impending Sword of Damocles)

I like to get them in when I can. Fine by me if someone wants to take them down.

;)

1 hour ago, Dudda said:

Some people can get Irish channels the same way we've all the BBC and other UK channels so listing what we have in Ireland:

Room to Improve

• Dermot Bannon - Registered Architect

Eco Eye

• Duncan Stewart - Registered Architect

Home of the Year

• Hugh Wallace - Interior Designer and Registered Architect
  • Deirdre Whelan - Interior Designer
  • Declan O'Donnell - Registered Architect

Room to improve is a great show. 

His name has been took on in slang terms where you say if something ain't quite right you say it's a bit Dermot bannon as in there's room to improve it. Heard the DJ on 2fm say it last week.

We've all forgotten Laurence Llewelyn Bowen and Changing Rooms. I didn't even bother checking to see if he's an architect.

To be fair it's an interior design show, I just felt he deserved a mention amongst the other luminaries.

Edited by AliG

Charlie Luxton  - got a BA in Architecture from Oxford then an MA from the Royal College of Art.

Anna Ryder Richardson  - "became a fitness instructor after an early career in modelling" 

Did you not see the story re the BBC using money from a fund to boost TV presenter diversity to train Dion Dublin to present the show. I'm sure that's what the money was meant for!

Edited by AliG

4 hours ago, Ian said:

@Dudda

The title 'Architect' is protected by law in the UK too. There's a big difference in length of time required to train to be an architect compared to an architectural technologist or architectural designer. Typically its 7 years instead of 3 years training.

Oh I didn't know that or at least it wasn't last time I was looking at it. That's good they've fixed that.

49 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Why are we discussing architects? we have a habit of chasing them away on here

Nothing wrong with our architect, done a good job working with a difficult client, us. There is perhaps nothing wrong with discussion but I would hope we don't chase them away as they do add value in those dimensions of this business where their expertise has direct impact and I think that has been well discussed on the old forum, where at least one architect helped us get to grips with the questions we needed to address with ours,  but perhaps not on this forum. maybe we should address this gap somehow as often, as alluded to above and elsewhere, getting the best design even with an architect on board can be very challenging.

I do think there is often a problem in finding a good architect, though.  I intended to use one, but my initial experience of approaching four local practices was extremely disheartening.  I think one issue is that there aren't that many architects working in the one-off, non-mega-home, sector, as far as I can see.  A look around locally at planning applications seems to show that the majority of one-off new builds are draw up by architectural technicians. 

I can understand why this is, as with the high cost of plots, together with the higher cost of building a one-off home, there really isn't much cash left, if the build cost is going to stay under the sale value.  Our house cost around £320k, including the land, and was valued at £340k.  The build cost was around £220k, so with an architect on 10% we would have paid more to build the house than it was worth. 

I think the big issue is that the tv "architects" give a slightly misinterpretation of an architects role and gives a false expectation of what to expect. 

When you see this on tv and you get one of two responses - that they are pretentious and know nothing about what "real people want", or that you have to have pots of money to hire an architect ...

And there is a whole spectrum of damn good ones in between ..!!!

• Like 1

We found our architect following a visit to Kore where I asked about someone local interested in using their insulated foundation system. He is now mainly a builder but to his misfortune was interested in our project. I came to him wanting a type of house that he wanted to build, him being an architect was a bonus. He stuck with us through our planning battles and knows what I'm like!

Our site is cleared and stoned with the Kore delivery coming on Tuesday. Windows were ordered yesterday.

Our architect was driving a dumper in the rain. That's dedication.

• Like 2