gmarshall

Window lifting equipment

Hi All

Our windows arrive shortly so I need to think about lifting them (fitting them ourselves- timber aluclad). We have a few large first floor units- largest is 2.3 m wide and weighs ~100 kg, and a couple of larger units downstairs - largest a 2.6 m triple glazed slider weighing in at 250 kg. 

Does anyone have any recommendations of lifting kit to hire, or any other tips for that matter?

Vacuum kombi sucker on a crane or robot arm?

@craig will be along shortly I'm sure.

• Like 2

Telehandler and MRT4 vacuum sucker from GGR, you’ll need to have hired in equipment insurance or telehandler and slings. Important to understand distance from forks to glass and protecting the glass. 

One wrong move and you’ve smashed the glass or dropped the unit.

If you have balls of steel, man power. 

Edited by craig
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys, will take a look. I've fitted windows before and we have plenty of smaller units for 'practice', so wish us luck! 

We fitted a 3M wide 3G slider with 4 men and 4 sets of suckers.  Obviously took the sliding sash out to halve the weight to lift in one go.

• Thanks 1

I fitted all mine, big windows 125kg, big doors 250kg. 

I paid for fitters on the door as i wanted  the extra warranty, the company wanted to charge for a spider crane and suction device, I told them we would supply extra labour to lift them. 

When the fitters came they said even if I had of paid for the spider crane they would prefer to lift them manually, they said the Crain is only any good for second storey windows in the region of 200kg, any less they just pick them up. 

4 lads with a large sucker each and our door was in. A170211D-D037-4769-A921-10E87F284E87.thumb.jpeg.554427cb8d916eedfd90f73169d8518c.jpeg

Windows lifted to this second level with a genie lift. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I told them we would supply extra labour to lift them. 

43 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

4 lads with a large sucker each and our door was in. 

Just bare in mind, that health and safety requirements indicate that mechanical lifting should be used. "If" anything was to go wrong because the risk was not assessed correctly, it will result in the wrath of the HSE. That's why lifting equipment is recommended (installers usually prefer to manually lift, as it saves time and generally not that heavy) & self builds are generally not as strict as commercial.

44 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Windows lifted to this second level with a genie lift.

Genie lifts are good but I'm not a fan of the restrictions they present. You need a solid flat ground externally to use them and you need to be very close to the building to utilise them. This is the same with glazing robots (even the offload versions) & why we prefer a telehandler & vacuum attachment.

45 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

they said even if I had of paid for the spider crane they would prefer to lift them manually

Spider cranes are good, we tend to use them for curtain walling but generally you need to offload the windows and doors which are palletised & we need a telehandler for that anyway and a weeks hire for a telehandler & vacuum sucker is better than the stop/start and repositioning required with a spider crane (it's just slower).

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Obviously took the sliding sash out to halve the weight to lift in one go

Sensible.

• Thanks 1

On 13/10/2021 at 21:07, gmarshall said:

Does anyone have any recommendations of lifting kit to hire, or any other tips for that matter?

Having recently done my own windows, and mainly on my own, I'd would say it depends entirely on access and space around your house. With my installation it was such that I couldn't use any of the commonly available lifting equipment e.g. telehandler, spider crane, tracked lift, glazing robot, or a genie type lift (I hired one of these thinking it could work). I had to make my own lifts using Kwikstage scaffolding and an Elephant chain hoist using a hired in 4 pad suction lifter.

I used Hird for my equipment hire who were very easy to deal with and much cheaper than GGR who I found wanted to over-sell equipment (and operator) and were a bureaucratic nightmare for a self-builder!

large window_1.1.1.jpg

• Thanks 1

Just one sucker on his own fitted my windows...

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Just one sucker on his own fitted my windows...

which invalidates the experience how exactly? 😏

Thanks all, really useful stuff. We are a refurb project, and whilst access is good at the front it's less good at the back (genie lift etc ok, telehandler definitely not!), So good to know smaller options have worked for some. Planning to tackle some of the smaller units first, then the bigger ones with easy access and the trickiest last. 

Here's hoping for some reasonable weather for a few weeks!