A Tote Too Heavy!

Onoff

Made myself a tote a while back from 18mm Buffalo board. 25mm galv conduit handle, sheet aluminium base. Meant for all my plumbing gear.

But by Christ is it cumbersome! Measures 600x460 on plan. On the scales it's only apparently 1.5KG but feels heavier. Loaded with a few big Bachos etc it's very awkward. Think the main problem is it's too wide so a pig to get through doorways plus you hold it further away from your body. Guess I got the ergonomics wrong!

Seems a pity to scrap it.....

20170303_163422

20170303_163330

Edited by Onoff
Pic / pig

This is going to sound daft, but I use a cheap, heavy duty plastic builders bucket, fitted with one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-Tool-Bucket-Tote-Bag-P-72095-Toolbag-Fixings-Bag-Organiser-18-Pockets-/150847742556?hash=item231f39e25c:g:ohIAAOSwLnBX4UKe and it works well.  I think the key thing is that it's deep, so the centre of gravity is low when it's full of stuff, plus the pockets make it easy to get at stuff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

This is going to sound daft, but I use a cheap, heavy duty plastic builders bucket, fitted with one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-Tool-Bucket-Tote-Bag-P-72095-Toolbag-Fixings-Bag-Organiser-18-Pockets-/150847742556?hash=item231f39e25c:g:ohIAAOSwLnBX4UKe and it works well.  I think the key thing is that it's deep, so the centre of gravity is low when it's full of stuff, plus the pockets make it easy to get at stuff.

Never seen one of those before but I like it ...! My usual weapon of choice is a bucket but I usually lose stuff in it ..! 

I'm liking JH's bucket tool holder.

I'm having visions of upended, empty silicon tubes attached around the perimeter of a bucket.....maybe some DPC used to make a bandoleer and fixed together with Pop rivets and penny washers......big stuff goes in the bucket, pointy, long things in the tubes.....xD

14 hours ago, JSHarris said:

If that had a slightly more forgiving handle it would be great. Maybe you could retrofit an old sports bag shoulder strap ?

I use totes with tubular handles and rubber grab grips. Two of them so they're not too congested. 

Theyre both full to the brim with various crap btw :D

13 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I'm liking JH's bucket tool holder.

I'm having visions of upended, empty silicon tubes attached around the perimeter of a bucket.....maybe some DPC used to make a bandoleer and fixed together with Pop rivets and penny washers......big stuff goes in the bucket, pointy, long things in the tubes.....xD

Dragons Den for you, cockles ;)

???

55 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Oh God, @JSHarris, the answer to my problem! But knowing me I'll leave it out in the rain and........ so I'll be drilling  drainage hole in the bottom.

It's a couple of quid cheaper here

Plus postage ....

I feel a BuildHub bulk purchase coming on - wonder if we can get them embroidered with the logo..?

then @Construction Channel can always have one carefully placed in the videos...

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

If that had a slightly more forgiving handle it would be great. Maybe you could retrofit an old sports bag shoulder strap ?

I use totes with tubular handles and rubber grab grips.[...]

How I wish I had kept the sports bag straps I threw away. Bit of  MDPE slipped over the handle? 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hmmm.....having a quantity of empty  (biodegradable) hydraulic oil containers.....

A couple of minutes works on each with the multitool: one for hammers and bolsters, another for saws. One for clamps, one for the resin kit etc. Even one to keep all the Geberit cistern bits together. Dead easy to move 'cos of the handle and stack:

2017-04-09_05-55-03

Going to make one a bit different maybe for silicon guns & tubes, another for "cleaners".

• Like 2

My take on a normal "tote" out of one of these oil containers. First impression is it's a FAIL.

A bit too wibbly wobbly to stack for a start. Then can't think of an immediate use. Maybe useful as a cleaners bucket with the old spout hole as a handy receptacle for the squeegee.

20170410_171929

I've made a couple more of the other style anyway.

On 03/03/2017 at 17:01, Onoff said:

Made myself a tote a while back from 18mm Buffalo board. 25mm galv conduit handle, sheet aluminium base. Meant for all my plumbing gear.

But by Christ is it cumbersome! Measures 600x460 on plan. On the scales it's only apparently 1.5KG but feels heavier. Loaded with a few big Bachos etc it's very awkward. Think the main problem is it's too wide so a pig to get through doorways plus you hold it further away from your body. Guess I got the ergonomics wrong!

Seems a pity to scrap it.....

20170303_163330

give it a lick of paint and its a prezzie for the granny - latest magazine rack.   No??