Opinions on power in a bathroom

Russell griffiths

So after living abroad for a few years we have got used to having a double socket in a bathroom. 

The wife wants to put one in every bathroom for hairdryers  curling tongs and other stuff women need to make them look less ugly. 

Whats peoples opinions, my discussion with the electrician yesterday turned a bit ugly and I thought I might need to punch him. 

I managed to exercise complete restraint and he had a lucky escape. 

Thoughts people. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Socket must be minimum 3m from a bath or shower to meet regs (not sure if 18th edition changed this) and shaver sockets can be anywhere sensible but are limited on power output so won’t do a hair dryer. 

701.512.3 "... socket-outlets are prohibited within a distance of 3m horizontally from the boundary of zone 1"

That's from the 2018 big blue book. I don't have any amendments.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Can’t remember what the regs are , 3m from the edge of a bath/shower?

23 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

How do you know he wouldn't have given you one back?!

What's up with shaver sockets can't you get adapters or maybe even change it to a socket after sign off. 

He’s a bit overweight I think he would have gone down like a sack of spuds. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

When I first met SWMBO she'd extended her ghetto blaster's 2-core mains lead by "splicing" another into it, twisting the wires together and "insulating" them with Sellotape. She'd balance the stereo on the edge of the bath.

With hindsight I should have kept quiet...

• Haha 6

10 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

So if they need to be 3m from a shower or bath, what is the distance from a basin. 

I was under the impression that 300mm from the bowl of the sink was correct. 

@Onoff

That from the building reg guides in kitchens.

Yes in Australia it is normal to have sockets in bathrooms and you often find the washing machine there, and a hairdryer plugged in with a long curly flex.

When I mentioned to my BIL that we are not allowed that because someone would be stupid enough to take the hairdryer into the shower while the water was running.  His reply "if they are that bloody stupid they deserve to die"

Since you are allowed to have a shaver socked which is fed from an isolation transformer, I wonder if you bought a 1kVA 240V isolation transformer and used that to feed a socket if you could claim it was an isolated "shaver socket"?

This proved an issue for me once when I rewired an old cottage where they had fitted an en-suite shower cubicle right in the corner of a bedroom, not in a separate room.  This meant the only place I could fit sockets in that room was the opposite corner which just met the 3M rule.  Needless to say there is an extension lead plugged in to feed a television sitting on a cupboard right next to the shower cubicle.

So the only legal sollution is make your bathroom big enough to get a socket 3M from the bath and shower and fit a long flex onto the hairdryer.

The electrician is right to refuse as his name will be on the EIC and he will be the one in the dock when someone dies if there was a wrongly placed socket, even if the death was the users stupidity.  We are not allowed to make our own life choices.

Another gem, I refused to fit a socket in a bathroom once.  A short while later I went back, and the washing machine was in the bathroom, with a small hole drilled in the wall, flex fed through, and plugged in in an adjacent room.  At least I won't be in the dock for that.

• Like 1

Not quite what you're asking but John Ward debunks the bathroom pull cord myth, Zone 3 doesn't exist, but I couldn't convince my M&E team that I could have a normal light switch in the bathroom/WC. Apparently there is a 'best practices' book that prevents electricians following the Regs. 

14 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

So does that differ from the electrical regs. 

BS7671 the "electrical regs" are not statutory i.e not law but "may be used as a defence in law". So complying is best as insurers etc will refer to them should it all go tits up.

The building regs however are statutory. The mentalness of it being someone has to then write a guide as to the god practice of implementing them...the guide isn't statutory ?

10 minutes ago, Russdl said:

Not quite what you're asking but John Ward debunks the bathroom pull cord myth, Zone 3 doesn't exist, but I couldn't convince my M&E team that I could have a normal light switch in the bathroom/WC. Apparently there is a 'best practices' book that prevents electricians following the Regs. 

While we are discussing what the regs say and how you interpret them, I am STILL waiting to find the reg that everyone but me can find that says you must fit a fan isolator switch, and all those people who have found it and apply it have been unable to show me what and where it is..........

49 minutes ago, Onoff said:

When I first met SWMBO she'd extended her ghetto blaster's 2-core mains lead by "splicing" another into it, twisting the wires together and "insulating" them with Sellotape. She'd balance the stereo on the edge of the bath.

With hindsight I should have kept quiet...

Valentine’s Day! . You could recreate that moment, then wait for the fireworks ?