The Self-Build-But strikes again: this time lights switches,

ToughButterCup

We took the Scolmore Click Mode Minigrid shilling . Smashing idea - in theory. Small interchangeable light switches and modules.  

Like this

20210118_104200.thumb.jpg.e7acaf9020a7c239013092303d9b11b9.jpg

Lovely.

Until you come to look at the detail of how to implement them.

Cos if your sparky has never used them before - and doesn't care about usability, - with four (or is it five ?) 6 by two switch banks around the house,  across the switch banks, the switch for the kitchen lights is never in the same place, neither is the one for the Dining Room, or the hall or the  ... you get the picture.

So you label them. Hmmmmmmmm.   Try reading those labels with only the TV and the 5amp lights on. 

So, separately and luckily not at the same time, we each lose our tempers with the damn things, and end up stabbing the minigrid randomly and before you know it every bloody light in the house is blazing brightly.

Bang goes that romantic interlude then dunnit. 

I did ask the sparky to put the switch for each circuit in the same place across all the minigrids. But . The Self-Build-But  struck again.

• We've tried coloured tape. Cant differentiate between colours in the low light levels
  • We've tried learning the switch positions on each minigrid: life's too short
  • We've tried swearing and shouting: that went well. For a few seconds.
  • I tried blobs of blutak on the kitchen switch - til they fell off
  • Scolmore Minigrid have a much improved website. Had a look there for some alternative switches

There's just not enough colour contrast in the switches. And our eyesight is likely to get worse not better.  Maybe the RNIB will have an idea?

This is driving us both mad, please help.

Edited by ToughButterCup

20 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

We took the Scolmore Click Mode Minigrid shilling . Smashing idea - in theory. Small interchangeable light switches and modules.  

Like this

20210118_104200.thumb.jpg.e7acaf9020a7c239013092303d9b11b9.jpg

Lovely.

Until you come to look at the detail of how to implement them.

Cos if your sparky has never used them before - and doesn't care about usability, - with four (or is it five ?) 6 by two switch banks around the house,  across the switch banks, the switch for the kitchen lights is never in the same place, neither is the one for the Dining Room, or the hall or the  ... you get the picture.

So you label them. Hmmmmmmmm.   Try reading those labels with only the TV and the 5amp lights on. 

So, separately and luckily not at the same time, we each lose our tempers with the damn things, and end up stabbing the minigrid randomly and before you know it every bloody light in the house is blazing brightly.

Bang goes that romantic interlude then dunnit. 

I did ask the sparky to put the switch for each circuit in the same place across all the minigrids. But . The Self-Build-But  struck again.

• We've tried coloured tape. Cant differentiate between colours in the low light levels
  • We've tried learning the switch positions on each minigrid: life's too short
  • We've tried swearing and shouting: that went well. For a few seconds.
  • I tried blobs of blutak on the kitchen switch - til they fell off
  • Scolmore Minigrid have a much improved website. Had a look there for some alternative switches

There's just not enough colour contrast in the switches. And our eyesight is likely to get worse not better.  Maybe the RNIB will have an idea?

This is driving us both mad, please help.

sorry but that looks crap.

When something isnt broken etc...

Ian, any scope to move the switches around behind the grids so that they are consistent?

if you take that front panel off you should be able to access the individual modules.

Our sparky was a bit more diligent (e.g. on every double switch either side of beds, inner is lamp, outer main light) but still got a few mixed up so that's how I fixed them.

We have a few big grids (4x2) and initially I felt it was all a bit random until he explained that upper switches were ceiling lights, lower switches were lamps etc and the rooms were laid out in order - further along, further away etc.

Also, for non intuitive switches (like the utility grid for the ovens etc) he had the switches etched with the function. You can also get this done with the switch plate.

Edited by Bitpipe

Just now, Dave Jones said:

When something isnt broken etc

Its not broken functionally, it's broken from a usability perpective. If they all looked like that, with switches in exactly the same position, all would be well. 

1 minute ago, Bitpipe said:

Ian, any scope to move the switches around behind the grids so that they are consistent?

I did take a peek, and nearly died. Clapham railway junction has nothing on the insides of those switch grids.

Time to learn Braille?

Seriously, there is a time and a place for a bank of grid switches, and house lighting is usually not it.  Light switch position should be obvious and intuitive and close to the entrance to the room etc, i.e. more switc locations with fewer switches at each location.

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Seriously, there is a time and a place for a bank of grid switches, and house lighting is usually not it.  Light switch position should be obvious and intuitive and close to the entrance to the room etc, i.e. more switc locations with fewer switches at each location.

Agreed . My mistake.   But I am where I am. And the problem will not disappear. And nor will the Self-Build-But. 

I have found this red coloured switch made by the same manufacturer . That looks to me to be a sensible idea.

Maybe I could consider using an illuminated switch or paint some kind of  low-level 'glow' on the switch?

21 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

I did take a peek, and nearly died. Clapham railway junction has nothing on the insides of those switch grids.

Dave is correct but from that perspective, you are where you are.

But what would it cost to get the panels reconfigured to be consistent? Obviously a job for your sparky, or if they are reluctant, get someone else in for that specific task.

How many grids do you have and which one is most intuitive- i.e do you have a reference design to replicate to the others?

I have got a mini grid setup in the kitchen with 2 rows of 3, plus extra switches 2 way nearer the sources, so they can all be switched off when leaving the room, but it is set so the top row do the kitchen / dining / living and the bottom row do the landing and stairs.  Six switches till took a while to master and I don't think I could cope with 12.

I have a four storey house so the landings need to switch stair string lights, stair wall lights and landings in a logical way.  We had to get the sparky back to rewire them so they all work in the same way.

39 minutes ago, Jilly said:

Nail varnish?

Thats the one... (that I woulod never have thought of for myslef I suspect)

43 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

But what would it cost to get the panels reconfigured to be consistent? Obviously a job for your sparky, or if they are reluctant, get someone else in for that specific task.

Thats the COVID-related issue. In the meantime I'm trying to bodge a temporary configuration. 

37 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I have got a mini grid setup in the kitchen with 2 rows of 3, plus extra switches 2 way nearer the sources, so they can all be switched off when leaving the room, but it is set so the top row do the kitchen / dining / living and the bottom row do the landing and stairs.  Six switches till took a while to master and I don't think I could cope with 12.

I have a four storey house so the landings need to switch stair string lights, stair wall lights and landings in a logical way.  We had to get the sparky back to rewire them so they all work in the same way.

Thats the ultimate aim.  Its still the Self-Build-But though, at the moment.......

Red switches for (say) the kitchen and  pink sparkly nail varnish  for the sitting room it is then

Hey... is there such a thing as glow-in-the-dark nail varnish? Too embarrassed to Google it .... 

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I've had time to think about your post Dave.

We deliberately designed the switching so that anyone entering the house (legitimately) could switch on lights all over the house.

We did that for security reasons. I don't want to go into it  in any detail, but  it doesn't take too much imagination to figure out why a house owner would want to be able to do that.

I'd like to make the switches serve us, not the other way around - so adapting this idea

8 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

could you 3d print some switches with the name of the switch cut out and then fit LEDs behind the plate so that the light shines through the lettering to illuminate it? 

My mate has a 3D printer. There ain't nowt he can't wire up - he's made his own flight simulator in his massive shed

We'll '... fab summat oop lad ...' as he says.

I'm really gettin' in to this now. Who knows even @Onoff might have a thought or two about this.....

Edited by ToughButterCup
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Change the grid plate to a metal one and get it custom engraved & colour filled? Tbh I think they engrave / fill plastic too:

http://able-engraving.co.uk/engraved-products/grid-and-switch-plates/

Pure genius. 

My mate has (built himself) a laser cutter : 4' by 2', massive thing. 

I'll whip the Scolmore cover plates off and get him to etch the plate above and below two of the switches ( the most often used). Then change one other switch to the red one that Scolmore already sell.

Genius Clive, genius. Thanks

Edited by ToughButterCup

Another thing you could consider (not sure if it would be possible in practice) is to have the two left most switches as masters doing a whole area, say, top one for all kitchen, bottom one for everything else, then have the rest of the rows for you to play with to adjust your preferred setting should you wish.