Obscure Glazing Debate?

Barney12

I don't think we are overlooked but cannot tell for certain until the house is built so I went for clear glazing and will get blinds or shutters depending on the windows. 

I am seeing white shutters a lot recently which seem like a nice feature for a bathroom.

I do not especially like it except where needed. In bedrooms it is a little evil and too boxing-in imo.

Stained glass a la 1930s is an option, or etched is very nice, or even painted. All preferably commissioned from a local artist.

Looking at modern glazing in churches can be an inspiration - my favourites are probably the new Coventry Cathedral for its varied uses, and the full set of windows by Chagall at All Saints Tudelely in Kent. My particular soft spot is etched glazing, but there is not *that* much of that about.

eg http://www.tudeley.org/lookatthewindows.htm (not very good photos, but you see the point).

My neighbours had a planning condition at my original house for obscure glazing on the landing / utility room as it looks right over my front garden, but I have not enforced the condition when they accidentally (!) left it clear. I do plan a an extension for that side but since they are non-habitable rooms it should be circumventable, and if necessary I could offer a stained glass panel which would be small beer in the context of an 80k build.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

4 minutes ago, Temp said:

Just a heads up that there are various grades of obscure glass depending on the pattern. Some are not all that obscure so if you go for one of those you might need a blind as well.

IIRC when I last did a door with frosted/obscure there were only about 3 patterns available. 

Or you can spray or (I imagine ... never looked) use a film of sorts - both of which would be useful for temporarily meeting a planning condition.

Love the idea of stained glass on the two obscured glass windows required as a planning condition of our build. They have specified a grade but I recon the BCO would be happy with a good stained glass. It will have to be ' attached' somehow to the passive house windows but I can see a way to achieve that. 

Here is my front door - looks like the one that was in the 1940s bungalow before the previous owners rebuilt it from three walls. It is set in a DG unit.

The green panels at 10 and 2 o'clock are nearly transparent and can be peeped through - I would specify that if commissioning, and possibly a series of "secret spyholes" at child height. Commissioning an artwork is something special  and worth a bit of extra money if I am looking at it every day.

stained-glass-door-light.jpg

And  these are my landing rooflights. I think there was a planning condition. This is stick on film that is about 8-9 years old. Not absolutely my favourite but acceptable.

stained-glass-roof-light-film.jpg

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Guest Alphonsox

We went through the same thought process and ended up with clear glass. The are lots of ways to make clear glass obscure (blinds, films, shutters etc) but making obscured glass transparent is a lot more difficult. We decided to use clear glass and treat it if we need privacy.

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Since we have touched on stained glass, anyone know a manufacurer of half decent 3G stained glass unit? expecting normal glass outside, stained panel in the middle, and toughened glass on the inner sheet.

I will ask my friends who I hope will supply a picture of theirs but I think theirs is only 2g.

3 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Love the idea of stained glass on the two obscured glass windows required as a planning condition of our build. They have specified a grade but I recon the BCO would be happy with a good stained glass. It will have to be ' attached' somehow to the passive house windows but I can see a way to achieve that. 

Indeed - it could be as simple as a subframe inside the window opening rather than a complicated manufacturing process.

One other consideration might be whether you want to be able to take it with if you move. Personally I would want the fun of commissioning another one.

F

Here you go all, not the best photo in the world but our friends could not be more pleased. It cost £950 5 years ago and frankly looks a lot better in real life. It is only 2g ( unknown u value) and done by a company in Bristol called Redland glass.

IMG_0149.JPG