Drilling through 2ft stone wall

Gav_P

So I am trying to drill a couple of holes through the original stone wall (about 2ft thick) in my cottage to get 15mm water pipe through for an outdoor shower. I’m using a hilti with 18” drill bit, so have to drill from each side - hoping my measurements line up!

However the guts of the wall are dust, rubble etc and keeps dropping and blocking the hole I have just drilled. ... it’s doing my nut in! 

What can I do to keep the drilled hole clear??

Edited by Gav_P

Just now, joe90 said:

IMO you will never do it from both sides, longer drill or in the past I have taken stones out both sides then cemented stones back around a duct/tube.

Yeah, this is what I did for the pipe work for the ASHP... I just didn’t want to go through that again for 2 poxy pipes. ... I was hoping for a cheat :)

I was thinking that I could squirt in a load of expanding foam and then when it’s gone off, drill again. Maybe this would stop all the cack in the middle of the wall from dropping down? 

11 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Good luck meeting up a couple of degrees difference and you're knackered 

I’ve measured a dozen times to get the spot to drill, then I used a 22mm bit, which I thought could hopefully make up for some minor deviation. ... next option is the 30mm bit. 

1 minute ago, trialuser said:

yes

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extra-Long-Metre-Long-Masonry-Drill/dp/B01MSFG1Y6/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=3+foot+sds&qid=1607198885&sr=8-6

I too have walls like that.

These are ok for the price, I find it's the splined end which is hammered which gets knackered before the tip.

Perhaps they are no good for sds max?

Thanks, but SDS Plus and SDS Max are different sizes. 

4 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Yes, watch it does not get stuck in the “Chuck” (ask me how I know) I think they are not case hardened properly.

That’s the big difference between SDS plus and SDS Max... Max seems to be indestructible and lasts forever, but also costs the earth! 

As everyone else says, get a set of 1M long SDS bits.  Done it loads of times.  If the wall is rubble in the middle get a sleeve ready and an assistant to push the sleeve in from the other side as you withdraw the drill.  25mm drill and a bit of 22mm copper is a perfect sleeve for 15mm.

• Thanks 2