Jeremy Harris' Blog

DInwood

2 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

And you are funding it.

Damn those civil service pension schemes that reset the balance between lower paid roles than private sector and higher pension returns ..

I always thought the sign of hidden wealth

was owning a yacht ... 

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

I always thought the sign of hidden wealth

was owning a yacht ... 

Paid for due to my role as a software designer who created something that was then acquired by a US company for £90 million in today's money.

1 minute ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Paid for due to my role as a software designer who created something that was then acquired by a US company for £90 million in today's money.

Ahhh..!!! So that’s different ... to inherited wealth ..??

That's general taxation for you.

I'm also funding the royal family, Trident, Boris' new 'Whitehouse style' press room (£2M, as yet unused), his COBRA 'Whitehouse style' situation room (£9M, unlikely he'll ever make an appearance) and his £1M plane paint job. Also Priti's £350k bullying payout to avoid a messy tribunal. 

Better get back to work.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

By how much?

(The Government Actuary estimated that the unfunded liabilities of the civil service, teachers, NHS & emergency services schemes totalled around £770 billion as at 31 March 2008.)

https://www.civilservant.org.uk/information-pensions.html#:~:text=The scheme is unfunded%2C in,up to pay future pensions.

4 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

That's general taxation for you.

I'm also funding the ... Boris' new 'Whitehouse style' press room (£2M, as yet unused)

That is money well spent in the era of the Presidential Downing Street, this is our stage to the world. The present shoddy arrangement gives the impression we Brits are so hard up Downing Street has not had a lick of interior paint or varnish since Queen Victoria opened the Great Exhibition.

23 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

The Government Actuary estimated that the unfunded liabilities of the civil service, teachers, NHS & emergency services schemes totalled around £770 billion as at 31 March 2008.

I have not paid in that much, nor have I seen a car that costs that much.

41 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Looking to take the eTron 55KW SUV for a test once the dealers are open again

I test drove this when I was looking at the iPace. it's a nice car and very Audi, but it was just a bit plain whereas the iPace was a bit more 'exciting'. in the end I made the wrong choice although I did end up with a 3.9s 0-60 car for a lot less than either the Jag or Audi. 

2 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

I test drove this when I was looking at the iPace. it's a nice car and very Audi, but it was just a bit plain whereas the iPace was a bit more 'exciting'. in the end I made the wrong choice although I did end up with a 3.9s 0-60 car for a lot less than either the Jag or Audi. 

Zoe is where it’s at ?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Do you still rent the batteries in those, or have they decided to sell them to you?

Nah . Leasing the batteries always seemed like a bad idea . All in now . I love it ! - but then again I’m comparing it to a smart car ....

Edited by pocster

Just now, pocster said:

Zoe is where it’s at ?

who’s she?? my old Merc is still going, no rust, very comfy, carry loads,  50mpg even on local roads (if I drive carefully) , why would I spend ££££, I could not afford any of these cars being talked about (despite being a boomer!).

2 minutes ago, joe90 said:

who’s she?? my old Merc is still going, no rust, very comfy, carry loads,  50mpg even on local roads (if I drive carefully) , why would I spend ££££, I could not afford any of these cars being talked about (despite being a boomer!).

I can’t afford it either . As someone else said ‘leasing’ is the game . I hate cars anyway as the devalue so fast ....

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

Leading the batteries always seemed like a bad idea

I thought so to.  Like renting a room from a cheap landlord in Bristol.  Going to end in tears and pictures up on the interweb.

What is the difference between the Zoe and the Leaf, same company makes them.

4 minutes ago, joe90 said:

who’s she

This is her Mother

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pocster said:

I can’t afford it either . As someone else said ‘leasing’ is the game . I hate cars anyway as the devalue so fast ....

My last £3K car lasted 9 years and I sold it for £500 with 10 months MOT.

Present £3K car I have had for almost 4 years and expecting to get similar if not longer life out of it.

When do you think i will be able to buy an EV for £3K and expect 9 or 10 years life from it?

3 minutes ago, pocster said:

I can’t afford it either . As someone else said ‘leasing’ is the game . I hate cars anyway as the devalue so fast

Is that what your lease payments cover, and you have all the restrictions i.e. limited milage, only two scratches, no tears in seat fabric, no shoeprints on head lining.

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

Is that what your lease payments cover, and you have all the restrictions i.e. limited milage, only two scratches, no tears in seat fabric, no shoeprints on head lining.

Yep . All perfect for me as my mileage is low per year . Maintenance package also - so no worries about that . Just charging it for free as we speak . 

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

My merc has probably devalued about a grand and I have run it for 7 years, done nearly 80k and not spent much on it

My Ford, cost me 3k, now, 120k miles later, it is worth less than a set of tyres (except I buy very cheap tyres).

Apart from usual maintenance things i.e. brakes (and they lasted 130k), only had a rubber pipe replaces, cost 100 quid.

This is the first Ford I have owned (though driven dozens), and it must be the second cheapest car I have owned, the last MGB was the best, but it went up in value over the years I ran around in it.

36 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

That is money well spent in the era of the Presidential Downing Street, this is our stage to the world. The present shoddy arrangement gives the impression we Brits are so hard up Downing Street has not had a lick of interior paint or varnish since Queen Victoria opened the Great Exhibition.

I don't think the world really gives a toss tbh.  Still, as long as Boris get's to play president when he can remember to turn up.