Steam ovens and ovens in general

Mandana

Has anyone got a steam oven that's not a combo, just dedicated to steam?

If so, which make? What do you like/dislike about it? Would you buy again?

While I'm at it which make of single oven do you have? We are overwhelmed with the choices! Neff, AEG, Siemans, Miele ... and probably 100 more, but those are the ones we've been looking at. Can anyone help?!?! 

A combi steam oven will give you everything a steam oven will and much much more. For the extra cost, its definitely worth it. A steam oven on its own is an expensive product.

All of the brands you mentioned are good products. Miele doesnt give you anything thats particularly better on the cooking side to justify the price uplift so ask yourself if you want to buy into the prestige attached to the brand.

You would normally but your ovens from the same brand so they look better.

• Like 1

Friend has a Bosch and loves it. I'm going for two eye level ovens - a Bosch series 8 steam oven with heat probe, and a more basic second oven for grilling and those rare occasions two ovens are needed, e.g. Christmas.

• Like 1

We have Gaggenau but have not used it yet but went to a cookery demo and the food was amazing. Hoping to use our oven soon as we expect to be in before xmas ( I told my wife we would be in for xmas but just not which xmas!)

As mentioned earlier, there's a massive difference in usefulness between a steam oven and a steam combi oven. We were talked into the [edited:] former latter by friends and family who use there's all the time, but ours is hardly touched.

It does make boiled eggs and steamed puddings very easy, I'll give it that. I also don't doubt that there's a lot more we could be doing if we bothered making an effort and learning what it's capable of.

2 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Our showroom ex display kitchen came with a Siemens steam oven and a 'normal' I've too. I can't wait to use the steam oven.

Hope you enjoy it. I sold and fitted a fair few, but none of my clients ever used them more than a couple of times. Same with coffee machines.

2 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

Hope you enjoy it. I sold and fitted a fair few, but none of my clients ever used them more than a couple of times. Same with coffee machines.

We have both! The wife has always had a coffee machine (freestanding) including bean to cup ones and I think it got more use than the kettle (I don't like coffee but I did like the frothy milk function).

I do enjoy cooking at eat a lot of food steamed so I should make good use of the oven!

27 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

We can't wait to get the steam oven! We are both plant based so eat LOADS of veggies! It'll be a joy to steam them rather than microwave them, and I hate boiled veg. Bleurgh!

On 19/11/2020 at 19:13, South facing said:

The Miele outlet sometimes has good deals.

We got a built in Miele coffee machine from there for £500, then we bought our ex display kitchen with Siemens appliances a week later and managed to flog the Miele one for double than what we bought it for.

Got our washing machine from there a few weeks ago for £404. Cheapest anywhere else £649. That said I've pretty much been checking the Miele outlet daily for the past 6 months!

4 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

We got a built in Miele coffee machine from there for £500, then we bought our ex display kitchen with Siemens appliances a week later and managed to flog the Miele one for double than what we bought it for.

Got our washing machine from there a few weeks ago for £404. Cheapest anywhere else £649. That said I've pretty much been checking the Miele outlet daily for the past 6 months!

What's this Miele outlet you speak of?! I need to check that out!!

It's on Miele website direct. Hang on I'll find the link.

Here you go https://www.miele.co.uk/c/miele-outlet-abingdon-1409.htm

Flawed system though. There is no online ordering. There is no rhyme or reason to when it's updated. Sometimes it's daily sometimes it can go almost a week with no updates. You have to phone up to order and each time I've phoned it's been a minimum of an hour in the queue and even then you don't know if the item on the list will still be in stock as the list isn't always up to date!

On a separate note if anyone's after a steam oven this just showed up on my local marketplace. Neff steam oven brand new.Screenshot_2020-11-24-21-38-02-892_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.cf0fa2cdc4d354a418fdbe3f567e012f.jpg

Edited by canalsiderenovation

1 minute ago, Mandana said:

Thank you. Just found it :)

Ah, I'd just posted the update above 

Here you go https://www.miele.co.uk/c/miele-outlet-abingdon-1409.htm

Flawed system though. There is no online ordering. There is no rhyme or reason to when it's updated. Sometimes it's daily sometimes it can go almost a week with no updates. You have to phone up to order and each time I've phoned it's been a minimum of an hour in the queue and even then you don't know if the item on the list will still be in stock as the list isn't always up to date!

3 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Ah, I'd just posted the update above 

Here you go https://www.miele.co.uk/c/miele-outlet-abingdon-1409.htm

Flawed system though. There is no online ordering. There is no rhyme or reason to when it's updated. Sometimes it's daily sometimes it can go almost a week with no updates. You have to phone up to order and each time I've phoned it's been a minimum of an hour in the queue and even then you don't know if the item on the list will still be in stock as the list isn't always up to date!

I wondered if that might be the case.

2 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

It's on Miele website direct. Hang on I'll find the link.

Here you go https://www.miele.co.uk/c/miele-outlet-abingdon-1409.htm

Flawed system though. There is no online ordering. There is no rhyme or reason to when it's updated. Sometimes it's daily sometimes it can go almost a week with no updates. You have to phone up to order and each time I've phoned it's been a minimum of an hour in the queue and even then you don't know if the item on the list will still be in stock as the list isn't always up to date!

On a separate note if anyone's after a steam oven this just showed up on my local marketplace. Neff steam oven brand new.Screenshot_2020-11-24-21-38-02-892_com.facebook.katana.thumb.jpg.cf0fa2cdc4d354a418fdbe3f567e012f.jpg

Buttons? conventional door? 

That Neff looks horrific. It looks like an ugly box covered in satin silver sprayed dog eggs.

Edited by daiking

Here is the steam oven I had in the 1970s.  Think it is still kicking about somewhere in my Mother's loft.

https://www.argos.co.uk/search/prestige-4-litre-aluminium-pressure-cooker/

I find the advertising a bit iffy, they all claim to preserve the nutrients, flavours and moisture.

You can always put a Pyrex boil of water in an oven, does the same thing.

Food Poncery, I hate it.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Thanks 1

We have two of the Siemens ovens with the pulse steam function, it has never once been used. We only have them because the kitchen company had some old models they were doing a deal on so we got them half price which was cheaper than the lower spec oven we planned to buy.

The value in anything depends on how much you will use it, if you think you'd use a steam function then it might be worthwhile. We have an Instant Pot that gets used almost daily and covers some of the functions a steam oven might be used for.

The function our Siemens ovens do have that is useful to us and I don't see elsewhere(outside of Siemens/Bosch/Neff) is that they are full size ovens with microwaves. Previously we had a compact combo oven/microwave and a full size oven. This enabled us to have two full sized ovens which is much more useful.

99% of the time our ovens get used on the standard fan setting, I occasionally use the pizza setting. That is it. Then they also operate as a microwave. All the other functions are entirely superfluous. We also use the pyrolytic cleaning that I would not be without. My view is get a good quality basic oven with pyrolytic cleaning and anything else has little value.

If you look at Siemens list prices the cheapest pyrolytic oven is £789, you can then go all the way up to £1469 with steam pule and wifi for basically the same oven. It is £1549 with the microwave function and £1999 with microwave and pulse steam. We got the microwave and pulsteam ones for £699 as they were the old model without wifi! I think it was the only true deal I got in the whole build. You can knock about 20% off the lost prices buying online, at this price I would probably only have had one microwave one.