ASHP and Permitted Development.

swisscheese

Background:

The Daughter of our future neighbour is already kicking off with regard our planned use of an ASHP.

Allegedly the neighbours daughter suffers from tinnitus and was successful in having her current neighbours ASHP removed. - I cannot verify this at the moment.

Indecently the planned site for our ASHP is not remotely close to her house.

My understanding is that ASHP is permitted development as long as certain limits are met.

What concerns me in the "limits":

"Development is permitted only if the air source heat pump installation complies with the Micro generation Certification Scheme Planning Standards (MCS 020) or equivalent standards. Read more about the scheme."

Does this mean I can't "self install" with the help of suitably qualified trades, and can only install by employing an MCS accredited installation firm?

That's how I would read it. ie. the whole installation must be MCS compliant, so needs to be installed by an MCS installer.

I'd look into how she got the ASHP removed. The PD for ASHP does not require a Prior Notification to the Planning Authority, so no neighbour consultation is required. I can't see how she could have used a planning issue, unless it just didn't meet all the caveats of the PD and she high lighted this to the LPA.

Edited by IanR

2 minutes ago, jamiehamy said:

Where are you? It's not Permitted Development in Scotland. 

Also,  where are you quoting from? Is that your LA  guidelines? 

It is now, provided you meet certain criteria:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2016/126/article/3/made

Amendment of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (Scotland) Order 1992

3.—(1) The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (Scotland) Order 1992(1) is amended in accordance with paragraph (2).

(2) For class 6H(2) of Part 1A (installation of domestic microgeneration equipment) of Schedule 1 (classes of permitted development) substitute—

Class 6H

(1) The installation, alteration or replacement of an air source heat pump on a dwelling or within the curtilage of a dwelling.

(2) Development is not permitted by this class—

(a)if it would result in the presence on the same building or within the curtilage of a building of more than one air source heat pump;

(b)in the case of an installation, alteration or replacement of an air source heat pump on a dwelling if—

(i)any part of the development would protrude more than 1 metre from the outer surface of an external wall, roof plane, roof ridge or chimney of the dwelling; or

(ii)the air source heat pump would be within a conservation area, unless the air source heat pump would be—

(aa)at ground floor level; and

(bb)on the rear elevation;

(c)in the case of the installation, alteration or replacement of an air source heat pump within the curtilage of a building if—

(i)any part of the development would be forward of a wall forming part of the principal elevation or side elevation where that elevation fronts a road; or

(ii)any resulting structure would exceed 3 metres in height; or

(d)the air source heat pump would be within—

(i)a World Heritage Site; or

(ii)the curtilage of a listed building.

(3) Development is permitted by this class subject to the following conditions—

(a)the air source heat pump must be used only for the purpose of providing domestic heating or hot water;

(b)where the air source heat pump is no longer needed for, or capable of, providing domestic heating or hot water it must be removed as soon as reasonably practicable;

(c)the air source heat pump must comply with MCS Planning Standards or equivalent standards.

(4) In this class—

“MCS Planning Standards” means the product and installation standards for air source heat pumps specified in the Microgeneration Certification Scheme MCS 020(3);

“principal elevation” is a reference to the elevation of the original dwelling which by virtue of its design or setting, or both, is the principal elevation;

“rear elevation” means the elevation of the original dwelling that is opposite its principal elevation; and

“side elevation” means the elevation of the original dwelling linking the principal elevation with the rear elevation.

3 minutes ago, Stones said:

It is now, provided you meet certain criteria:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2016/126/article/3/made

Amendment of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (Scotland) Order 1992

3.—(1) The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (Scotland) Order 1992(1) is amended in accordance with paragraph (2).

(2) For class 6H(2) of Part 1A (installation of domestic microgeneration equipment) of Schedule 1 (classes of permitted development) substitute—

Class 6H

(1) The installation, alteration or replacement of an air source heat pump on a dwelling or within the curtilage of a dwelling.

(2) Development is not permitted by this class—

(a)if it would result in the presence on the same building or within the curtilage of a building of more than one air source heat pump;

(b)in the case of an installation, alteration or replacement of an air source heat pump on a dwelling if—

(i)any part of the development would protrude more than 1 metre from the outer surface of an external wall, roof plane, roof ridge or chimney of the dwelling; or

(ii)the air source heat pump would be within a conservation area, unless the air source heat pump would be—

(aa)at ground floor level; and

(bb)on the rear elevation;

(c)in the case of the installation, alteration or replacement of an air source heat pump within the curtilage of a building if—

(i)any part of the development would be forward of a wall forming part of the principal elevation or side elevation where that elevation fronts a road; or

(ii)any resulting structure would exceed 3 metres in height; or

(d)the air source heat pump would be within—

(i)a World Heritage Site; or

(ii)the curtilage of a listed building.

(3) Development is permitted by this class subject to the following conditions—

(a)the air source heat pump must be used only for the purpose of providing domestic heating or hot water;

(b)where the air source heat pump is no longer needed for, or capable of, providing domestic heating or hot water it must be removed as soon as reasonably practicable;

(c)the air source heat pump must comply with MCS Planning Standards or equivalent standards.

(4) In this class—

“MCS Planning Standards” means the product and installation standards for air source heat pumps specified in the Microgeneration Certification Scheme MCS 020(3);

“principal elevation” is a reference to the elevation of the original dwelling which by virtue of its design or setting, or both, is the principal elevation;

“rear elevation” means the elevation of the original dwelling that is opposite its principal elevation; and

“side elevation” means the elevation of the original dwelling linking the principal elevation with the rear elevation.

AH - I stand corrected. I had asked about it last year and told it was a planning application. I had considered and that was one reason that put me off. Could be an option for our DHW..thankfully we're the middle of nowhere and no neighbours to worry about. 

Nice to see it's now permitted development in Scotland, but "must meet MCS Planning Standard" seems a stitch up to me? Does that mean you can only install an MCS listed ASHP, or even worse, it must be installed my an MCS installer?

Glad we got ours included in the planning permission.

P.S re extra spacers in posts. There is a bug in Opera, than whenever you edit a post, every CR/LF becomes two and I don't always edit out the spare ones.

I considered an ASHP but it would have been on the elevation closest to my neighbours and as they were already very awkward about the build I thought that this would almost certainly wind them up.

I could show you the spec of an ASHP, showing that it isn't noisy, but no matter what the spec shows, someone is almost certain to worry that the sound will be annoying. Indeed I might well have the same concern if my neighbour was putting one a few metres from the boundary.

If an ASHP was removed I wouldn't be surprised if it was because it didn't have planning permission and didn't meet what seem to be reasonably strict rules for making it permitted development there. Thus an awkward neighbour might well have complained.

I cannot see how them having tinnitus is relevant though. It wouldn't be affected by an ASHP. However, again I could see how this kind of thing could cause planning to err on the side of caution and not approve something even if the real evidence is shaky.

Looking back at your posts I see you say the neighbour was vehemently opposed to your planning application. I take it that the ASHP wasn't on it? If not maybe planning would allow it as a non material amendment or confirm that it is permitted development.

Edited by AliG

I've been trying to contact the LAPD, confirming the Permitted development, which I think it is, it the MCS stuff in the caveats that is annoying - if it just meant "did the ASHP comply with the MCS standards" I could deal with it.  I will need to do more digging!

2 hours ago, swisscheese said:

"Development is permitted only if the air source heat pump installation complies with the Micro generation Certification Scheme Planning Standards (MCS 020) or equivalent standards. Read more about the scheme."

Where did you get this quote from? The word "installation" doesn't appear in the English GPDO (2015), and from a quick scan of the above, nor in the Scottish version.

The English version states:

G.1 Development is not permitted by Class G unless the air source heat pump complies with the MCS Planning Standards or equivalent standards.

I therefore change my view. The ASHP just needs to be on the MCS list, the installation doesn't actually need to be MCS Certified.

• Like 1

Guest Alphonsox

From https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/27/heat_pumps/2

Looks like someone added a word to the planning web site version

20 minutes ago, swisscheese said:

I've been trying to contact the LAPD, confirming the Permitted development, which I think it is, it the MCS stuff in the caveats that is annoying - if it just meant "did the ASHP comply with the MCS standards" I could deal with it.  I will need to do more digging!

And reading that MCS planning document, on page 15 paragraph

3.1(a) "The air source heat pump product will be certified witn MCS007" and

3.1 (b) "the air source heat pump shall be installed by an MCS contractor in accordance with MIS3005"

3.1 (c) "the installation shall be carried out in compliance with the calculation procedure contained in table 2. MCS contractors must complete the results / notes column in table 2 for each step of the calculation procedure to show how it has been followed"

Like I say, a stitch up, jobs for the boys etc.

At least I have PP for my ASHP with no such conditions.

Well, the Statutory Instrument is the Law for PD, and it doesn't include the word "installation".

The guidance on the portal however, by mis-quoting, doesn't help arguing this with the LPA.

I'd definitely refer to this document (page 100 class G):

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/596/pdfs/uksi_20150596_en.pdf

when contacting the LPA.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AliG said:

I cannot see how them having tinnitus is relevant though

I suffer from increasingly worsening tinnitus, silence is the worse thing there is.

Not that a modern ASHP that is designed, installed and maintained is noisy at all.

I am tempted to go and measure the noise levels from a few to see what it is at 1 and 10 metres distance.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

I am tempted to go and measure the noise levels from a few to see what it is at 1 and 10 metres distance.

My neighbour has a Nibe ASHP which is 2m from our fence and I can only just hear it. At 4m away I can't hear it at all and I live out in the sticks with very little background noise.

Our ASHP makes less noise than the intake for the MVHR, or the externally wall-mounted PV inverter.  I think ST heard it running full pelt when he first visited, as I seem to remember me turning it on as a demo.  We both stood next to it chatting, and apart from the blast of cold air coming from the thing ai don't think anyone could describe a modern, inverter controlled, ASHP as noisy.

The same isn't true for the non-inverter controlled ones, though.  I've heard some of those (especially some of the re-branded Chinese imports) and they are a lot noisier, so I can see why the planners were concerned enough about the possible nuisance. 

Pity they don't show the same concern over the fitting of wood burning stoves, they are a bloody menace in weather like that last night and this morning, where, once more, our whole valley (and all the houses in it) is filled to ground level with thick wood smoke, from two or three houses in the village who have the things and don't give a damn about the nuisance they cause on cold, still, days.

Jeremy's ASHP is very quiet.

I have a sound meter and logger on my phone (AndoSensor).

It is currently showing around 15 dB.

Turning my fan heater on (about a metre away) and it shows 30 dB.

Not sure how accurate it is , but good enough for comparison I should think.

Just got to go out and find some ASHP that are running now.

This perception of noise from a heat pump is a strange thing.

Ours will go on the back, south facing wall of the garage, which means it's adjacent to the main bit of garden we will use. SWMBO is very concerned about the perceived noise from it.  But the funny thing is, she is not bothered by the roar of the oil fired boiler in a similar position in our present house, which I am sure is louder when it's firing than the heat pump will be.

1 hour ago, jack said:

ASHP noise, at least on decent models, is very inoffensive to my ears. 

Plus it doesn't stink of burnt oil ;) 

17 hours ago, swisscheese said:

and was successful in having her current neighbours ASHP removed

Was this a non-inverter ASHP being used on a 'high energy' property ? E.g. It was going flat out a lot of the time?

18 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Plus it doesn't stink of burnt oil ;) 

You're in trouble if it does!  :o

We had an old oil boiler in the kitchen of the bungalow we knocked down.  It wasn't boxed in and made a hell of a racket when it started up.

On 20/01/2017 at 19:51, IanR said:

Well, the Statutory Instrument is the Law for PD, and it doesn't include the word "installation".

The guidance on the portal however, by mis-quoting, doesn't help arguing this with the LPA.

I'd definitely refer to this document (page 100 class G):

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/596/pdfs/uksi_20150596_en.pdf

when contacting the LPA.

Thanks Ian definitely some Ammo.

Like I say I cannot confirm the nature of the alleged removal of the ASHP, type of ASHP, noise etc - Just that the neighbours daughter is vociferous in her dislike of ASHP, so I know I am in for a tough ride and really need to cover the bases.  The MCS installation line on the portal is insidious, and possibly misleading, I intend to seek clarity from the LPA - possibly incognito ;)

• 3 years later...

Sorry to resurrect a three-year-old thread.

On 21/01/2017 at 20:27, swisscheese said:

I intend to seek clarity from the LPA - possibly incognito ;)

@swisscheese I wonder how did you resolve this issue with the LPA (presumably Cambridge City Council)?

Did you DIY install your ASHP in the end, despite your neighbour?

This is relevant for me because I might have an ASHP for my build in Cambridge.

Edited by Dreadnaught