Shower leaking

newhome

Not the tray thankfully but water is coming out from where the thermostatic unit connects to the pipes. As getting a plumber out here is nigh on impossible I am going to attempt to either fix it myself or cap it off until I can get someone out to fix it. As a plumbing virgin I have a few questions. 

The water is spraying out where the arrow is. Does this indicate a washer problem or something else? if it’s a washer and it’s an easy fix what size do I need? 

2B634450-4641-400C-974F-1250E345BF8A.thumb.jpeg.dfc67fbe819a57605c082fbe2912c457.jpeg

I have the tool pictured that I used to tighten it up (didn’t work, just made it leak more, and yes I did turn it the right way ?). I thought an adjustable spanner might be best but what size do I need (need to buy one), preferably a cheap one on Amazon Prime as I can’t see me doing this often!

BEA627FD-3FE8-4F0A-BA61-016613C80559.thumb.jpeg.a7e3f09ca58ba76472b831285a5449a0.jpeg

This is what I have. 

This is what I want (I think). 

0F06D5A1-386C-4F12-9EF8-FB6E873108D1.thumb.png.40b5efac5e4fb75eae5a440cd0493c43.png

Plan B is to cap it off using a push fitting as below until I can get someone in. I don’t use this shower much anyway. 

469B59C8-71E6-4CAC-99BF-51BA38CF4DAB.thumb.jpeg.d457af1e09a40670450af939ef30db88.jpeg

All help appreciated before I flood the house ?

20 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Erm, isolate the shower supply: I suspect you have thought of that, but just in case you haven't......

That's a good call if they exist and you prefer to do that.

There should normally be a supply shutoff mechanism for each shower. Mine didn't have these installed by the self-builder, so we added them when we redid the showers.

It could look like a tap handle on the supply pipes somewhere, or a little valve you turn through 90 degrees with a screwdriver. Mine on one shower look like this:

5EDCFFF2-EE97-4CE0-B2AD-D0A0D906BE0A.jpeg

F

• Like 1

2 hours ago, newhome said:

Not the tray thankfully but water is coming out from where the thermostatic unit connects to the pipes. As getting a plumber out here is nigh on impossible I am going to attempt to either fix it myself or cap it off until I can get someone out to fix it. As a plumbing virgin I have a few questions. 

The water is spraying out where the arrow is. Does this indicate a washer problem or something else? if it’s a washer and it’s an easy fix what size do I need? 

2B634450-4641-400C-974F-1250E345BF8A.thumb.jpeg.dfc67fbe819a57605c082fbe2912c457.jpeg

I have the tool pictured that I used to tighten it up (didn’t work, just made it leak more, and yes I did turn it the right way ?). I thought an adjustable spanner might be best but what size do I need (need to buy one), preferably a cheap one on Amazon Prime as I can’t see me doing this often!

BEA627FD-3FE8-4F0A-BA61-016613C80559.thumb.jpeg.a7e3f09ca58ba76472b831285a5449a0.jpeg

This is what I have. 

This is what I want (I think). 

0F06D5A1-386C-4F12-9EF8-FB6E873108D1.thumb.png.40b5efac5e4fb75eae5a440cd0493c43.png

Plan B is to cap it off using a push fitting as below until I can get someone in. I don’t use this shower much anyway. 

469B59C8-71E6-4CAC-99BF-51BA38CF4DAB.thumb.jpeg.d457af1e09a40670450af939ef30db88.jpeg

All help appreciated before I flood the house ?

Erm...I don't think that'll work at the leaking fitting isn't a 15mm pipe. Got a bigger picture?

For a start use a screwdriver to turn those two valves to the horizontal. You should be able to then undo the fitting with only a little local water loss. Guessing a washer behind. A GOOD wrap of PTFE tape may sort you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, newhome said:

I thought an adjustable spanner might be best but what size do I need (need to buy one), 

Cheap is not a good idea with adjustable spanners.

Since you mention Amazon, this selection, not the cheapest or most expensive, might well suit. I suggest this range because the jaw action is more precise. You are less likely to slip because the jaws tend to fit more precisely and so have less play.

• Like 1

Is this one of 2 fittings connecting to a bar mixer?  If so the water will be on all the time unless you isolate at the ballofix valves (the things with a screwdriver slot)

Or is this a single fitting onto which just a shower hose fits?  In which case it will only be "live" with water when the shower controls are turned off.

Once you isolate it you can unscrew it with your glad pliers, but wrap something like an old towel around the nut to stop the pliers marking the chrome.

You will find a rubber or possibly a fibre washer. It may even have a gauze filter built in.  you need to get a new one the same to replace it.  Over tightening is often a cause for failure.

• Like 1

The isolation valves pictured are in @Ferdinandhouse so I doubt they will stop much water coming out of @newhomes shower.

If the shower doesn't have isolators which is more than likely you might get away with turning the water off at the mains while you do what @Big Jimbo suggested. But while you have the washer out measure it and order a new one as turning it round will only be a temporary fix.

• Like 2

Oh God I don’t know if it has an isolator! I was planning to turn the water off at the stopcock and if everything went to shit cap the thing off before turning the water back on. I don’t actually know where the stopcock is in truth ?. There is a tap on one of the pipes in the services room so am guessing that it’s that! The last person to turn it off was @PeterW I think and I didn’t see where. 

The mixer thing is as @ProDave suggests; a mixer bar with 2 pipes like that (the other one isn’t leaking) the on off is on the left (where it’s not leaking) and the temperature control is on the right where it is leaking. 

Thanks for all the replies so far. I’m not attempting anything until I know I’ve got the correct bits and have some idea what I’m doing. How do I tell if those cap things will fit? 

So that’s definitely the stopcock in the services room as no water now. I can’t see any isolators to any of the showers so guess the answer is no to that question. 
Not the best photos but here is the mixer 

B2A4EFC5-C262-43CF-AFEA-C996E5EDED07.thumb.jpeg.ac1a28fa004c037e1e78b8dfe37cd1bf.jpeg

CD0B322F-C3C2-4443-BAE8-6A01E70A90BD.thumb.jpeg.886948a68719a0616047d39e38229c48.jpeg

11 minutes ago, PeterW said:

House insurance got emergency cover on it ..??

Main stopcock is as you walk in directly in front of you about a foot up from the floor. 

Nope I don’t think I have that cover. Nearly took it out with my electricity supplier but it had so many restrictions and exclusions I decided not to bother. Found the stopcock now and water is off. Will look to sort something tomorrow as I don’t want an emergency scenario in the night! 

If it's an unvented cylinder then after turning off the cold stopcock, you will need to let the pressure off the hot water.  There is surely at least one stop valve for the hot water out of the cylinder?

You will need hot and cold turned off to remove the bar mixer to get to the offending washer.

• Like 1

Ah so just turning off the cold stopcock is all you need.

I would go and buy this set https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-EACH-1-2-5-EACH-3-4-BSP-BOTH-PLAIN-AND-MESH-FILTER-PLUMBING-HOSE-WASHERS/274345333529?hash=item3fe0419319:g:L4kAAOSwdppeoXNd

I am sure the ones you need are amongst them plus some spares for the next job.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, newhome said:

Nope I don’t think I have that cover. Nearly took it out with my electricity supplier but it had so many restrictions and exclusions I decided not to bother. Found the stopcock now and water is off. Will look to sort something tomorrow as I don’t want an emergency scenario in the night! 

Wonder what is leaking. They are pretty standard units and don’t tend to leak unless there is a crack in the casting. Hopefully not one in the pipe itself ..! 

Can be capped off or a new bar fitted - if you don’t use it that much then this would probably fit. 

Jetcloud 6226129485304 Chrome Modern Thermostaic Bar Mixer Anti Scald Exposed Bottom Outlet Tap for 1/2" Shower Hose Brass Diverter Valve https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KR25G6D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_tqDKFbXZ3WHJ2

• Like 1

Looks like the bar has washers like the ones that @joe90 posted. Will give it a whirl tomorrow. What could possibly go wrong! .... ?

Thanks all. Will report back either in panic or to report success. Think I’ll leave the water off when I go to bed. 

• Thanks 1