Tesla going in today !

Pocster

2 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

but your PV is sized for what you use right? so a larger array would generate a larger sum if it wasn't all used

"Standard" 4kW array with inverter limited to 3.68kW so no prior DNO permission needed.

Near 100% self usage achieved by using the big appliances in the daytime and dumping excess to the immersion heater.  Roughly 1/3 of what the PV produces goes to the immersion heater.

Once you get over 4kW it becomes harder to self use it, and also becomes harder to justify the extra cost if you only get 5p per kWh for export.

8 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Do you mean a proper old Feed in Tariff where you get paid for what you generate?

Or an export tariff where you get about 5p perk Wh for export?

In just over 2 years, if I had qualified for an export payment I would have been paid so far the grans sum of £11

No . Tesla lite tariff . 11p import and 11p export no standing charge .

FiT just isn’t worth it now .

Looks like ( apart from filling the battery , so that’s 13.5kw to use ) I might make £1 today ??

Edited by pocster

Just now, ProDave said:

and also becomes harder to justify the extra cost if you only get 5p per kWh for export

this is true but I am offsetting the cost of the extra PV by not having to put slates on that part of the roof! 

1 minute ago, pocster said:

No . Tesla lite tariff . 11p import and 11p export no standing charge .

in about 1 yr when my build is well under way and I'm looking at new electricity suppliers I will be tapping you up for your knowledge on the good Tesla tariffs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thorfun said:

in about 1 yr when my build is well under way and I'm looking at new electricity suppliers I will be tapping you up for your knowledge on the good Tesla tariffs.

No worries! . I’m not trying to convince anyone to do it . But once I have a years worth of “ real world “ data it will be really interesting! 

1 minute ago, pocster said:

I’m not trying to convince anyone to do it

don't worry. I was going for a Powerwall before I even knew who you were. The ability to use the solar generated during the day at night just makes sense to me to reduce my reliance on the grid.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

I find the whole tariff thing so frustrating and "hidden"

Most suppliers do not just publish their cost per kWh you have to "get a quote" to find that out.  and the comparison sites are not much better.

I wish someone ould just publish a table of all the different suppliers, simply stating for each, Import cost per kWh, Export payment per kWh (if any) and dailiy standing charge.

That is ALL anyone needs to know to choose the best for them.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Most suppliers do not just publish their cost per kWh you have to "get a quote" to find that out.  and the comparison sites are not much better.

I wish someone ould just publish a table of all the different suppliers, simply stating for each, Import cost per kWh, Export payment per kWh (if any) and dailiy standing charge.

That is ALL anyone needs to know to choose the best for them.

They do - it’s called the Tariff Information Label

The problem is the rate you pay is based on your region and your MPAN identifier (first two numbers, mine is 11) alters the standing charges and the generator premiums depending on the fees available. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Tariff Information Label

That just tells you what is included, there is no an actual list of tariffs that I can easily find.

Even good old Martin Lewis, you wants us to let him do his stuff, does not have a list of tariffs.

Really up to OFGEM to publish this.

28 minutes ago, PeterW said:

They do - it’s called the Tariff Information Label

The problem is the rate you pay is based on your region and your MPAN identifier (first two numbers, mine is 11) alters the standing charges and the generator premiums depending on the fees available. 

Yes but the "surcharge" we pay is the same regardless of who we choose.  So it the "base rates" of all suppliers were simply tabulated, it would be easy to make a comparison, even if you do actually pay slightly extra on top.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, pocster said:

@Thorfun thought that might catch your eye . Tempted to price up another pw2 to piggy back my existing ...

ha ha....I've paid the deposit for my solar PV and powerwall 2. just need to get the house built to a stage we can install. should be about 6 months or so I hope.

Just now, Thorfun said:

ha ha....I've paid the deposit for my solar PV and powerwall 2. just need to get the house built to a stage we can install. should be about 6 months or so I hope.

Make sure you get the newer pw . Did you go 3 phase ? 

25 minutes ago, pocster said:

Make sure you get the newer pw . Did you go 3 phase ? 

I'm pretty sure that Tesla sell these things like hot-cakes so I doubt there's an issue with getting old stock!

yep, 3-phase electrics will be installed and a 3-phase inverter. need to figure out how to fit it all together but that's what I'm paying Enhabit for. ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

I'm pretty sure that Tesla sell these things like hot-cakes so I doubt there's an issue with getting old stock!

yep, 3-phase electrics will be installed and a 3-phase inverter. need to figure out how to fit it all together but that's what I'm paying Enhabit for. ? 

Go on - how many pw’s do you plan ? 3? - one per phase ??

• Haha 1

We can't get hold of one, been told July/Auguest by one supplier, September by another and min 6mths by another.    Might look at Sonen.

I don't see the value in using 3 (one per phase), unless you want a 3-phase inverter to keep running disconnected from the grid.  But the an expensive solution when power hardly ever goes out in most areas in the U.K.

We were planning to use 2 as a single Powerwall  has limit of 5kw charge/discharge, but if we go on the telsa energy plan (not decided yet), then net metering means you don't need to fiddle around optimizing timing of usage or if/when battery is charged, all that matters is the kWh cost (11p) and your total imports/exports over the year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ProDave said:

The difference between an occupied and empty house?

About 14kWh generation here, almost all self used.

What size is your PV?

House not occupied at the moment so some low electric use for Cctv , ufh , ashp .

Pv 4kw