Been a funny ol day

I thought I would stick this up just to amuse @ToughButterCup as I generally take great pleasure in reading about his mishaps during his build. 

So im in the builders merchants this morning moaning in general about the crap quality of their wood when I noticed a pallet of loft ladders all reduced because of overstock, not one to ever turn down a bargain I grabbed one and trotted off home to fit it as I had a bit of a free afternoon as I’m waiting for some more bent wood to turn up. 

3 hours later I’ve cut the hole in the loft floor, fitted noggins between the ceiling joists, fitted the loft ladder and combined hatch,perfect. 

So I decide to give it a try and duly prance up and down the ladder a few times looking for squeaks or wobble bits. 

It was on my 4th trip up the ladder I poked my head right up into the loft space to discover to my absolute horror that sitting in the corner of the loft where 6 full sheets of 8x4 celotex insulation, anybody got any bright ideas how you get an 8x4 sheet through a 3 foot hole. ???

• Haha 4

Could of been worse - you might've found a previously-bought-but-as-yet-unfitted loft ladder up there!

This, incidentally, is how you find lost tools. Buy another and then go and put it away in a 'safe place' such that it won't be lost again. That's where you'll find the old tool. Note that this trick tends only to work when there's something stopping you from returning the new one for a refund... It's why things are blister packaged as retailers known this phenomenon of nature too.

1 hour ago, dnb said:

The diagonal of a 3 foot square hole is 4 foot 3 inches. Guess that ladder is coming out again...

Anyone fancy calculating the maximum viable board thickness?  Or do you have better things to do?  Insulation board is normally metric 1200 x 2400.

@Mr Punter Assuming the loft hatch is similarly metric, therefore 900mm (it allows space for fingers if it isn't metric) then the thickest 1200 wide of standard size board would be 70mm. 75mm is a little too thick unless you don't mind rounding off the corners or the board is at the low end of the manufacturing tolerance. Do you need to see working out? ?

Edited by dnb
  • Thanks 1