How does your garden grow?

8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Can I plant in bagged compost or do I need "soil"?

Who knows. I put old soil in the bottom of the pot, then filled up the rest with cheap compost.

Just pushed the pips in to thumb depth, smoothed of the surface with my palm. Then watered.

I plant loads of things, some work, some don't. All a bit of a lottery.

My potatoe garden is just some old potatoes that were sprouting, cut into quarters and buried.

Edited by SteamyTea

34 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Who knows. I put old soil in the bottom of the pot, then filled up the rest with cheap compost.

Just pushed the pips in to thumb depth, smoothed of the surface with my palm. Then watered.

I plant loads of things, some work, some don't. All a bit of a lottery.

My potatoe garden is just some old potatoes that were sprouting, cut into quarters and buried.

They are seeds ffs . Any retard can grow them . Soil , plant , water . Bit of sunshine then repeat .

On 26/04/2022 at 18:53, Onoff said:

Right then 50 little cardboard pots from the Poundshop sat in the seed tray. How  do I plant the beans? Half fill with compost,push the bean in then cover?

1650995298318954753122.thumb.jpg.dff5ad929ceecfcbcb5c82001d1907e3.jpg

3/4 full, slightly press in, cover. Wait a week and the root emerges first and lifts the bean. 

• Thanks 1

They should be visible in a week, then ready to plant out 2 weeks later.

The sooner any robust plant is in the ground, the sooner they grow fast and you get your beans.

The slugs will be mustering now in anticipation, hence a bit of stem height is good, and clear away any nice stones they might be breeding under.

Worth putting down a few old bricks that they might hide under in the daytime. I lifted an old tile yesterday when preparing the bean bed, and found 20 slugs..

Do you get rabbits?

50 is a lot, but they are easy to find homes for.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

The slugs will be mustering now in anticipation, hence a bit of stem height is good, and clear away any nice stones they might be breeding under.

Worth putting down a few old bricks that they might hide under in the daytime. I lifted an old tile yesterday when preparing the bean bed, and found 20 slugs..

I was debating nematodes but the place is crawling with slow worms. It's like bloody Tremors here with them (and snakes). I didn't want to deplete their food source as in the slugs. 

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

The puma is likely a rumour...

The one that won't eat your plants is mythical...shame.

Slow worms are your friends.  I found 2 in the compost heap last week.....the strangest thing was that they didn't react at all to being exposed.

I think the bean plants will need some physical protection when small. I put metal grilles around them for a week or so....bits of shelving/expamet/ dead barbecue grilles...

5 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Slow worms are your friends.  I found 2 in the compost heap last week.....the strangest thing was that they didn't react at all to being exposed.

They are gorgeous here. The babies I found the other day were pure gold in colour with black around the neck. The bigger, older ones vary but generally a dark bronze. Not sure if there's different sub species etc here as we're in a bit of an isolated valley. Found a dead one a while back and it was silver like it had been sprayed from a can. 

Neighbour found a baby grass snake the other day and brought it in a bucket to show me as he wasn't sure what it was (ex inner city boy :) ) That was really cute. Vivid colours. 

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

They are gorgeous here. The babies I found the other day were pure gold in colour with black around the neck. The bigger, older ones vary but generally a dark bronze. Not sure if there's different sub species etc here as we're in a bit of an isolated valley. Found a dead one a while back and it was silver like it had been sprayed from a can. 

Neighbour found a baby grass snake the other day and brought it in a bucket to show me as he wasn't sure what it was (ex inner city boy :) ) That was really cute. Vivid colours. 

I had slow worms , lizards and an American garter snake as pets when I was a kid . I did have no friends also .

10 minutes ago, pocster said:

I had slow worms , lizards and an American garter snake as pets when I was a kid . I did have no friends also .

You still got no friends.

Just jugglers and clowns doing tricks for you.

I've ordered some "bean string" to tie on the metal frame. 

Still in two minds as to whether to surround the patch with sleepers. Worried I'll create this dug over, "sterile"patch the slow worms won't be able to hunt in for slugs.

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

"sterile"patch the slow worms won't be able to hunt in

I suspect they will climb over a low sleeper, but not if it is treated with tanalith or creosote.

'My' slow worms were a sort of very milky coffee colour, (on the light side of that even) but with a metallic sheen.

I may collect bits of loose sheep wool and put it round the bean area....it is supposedly impassable by slugs and snails due to hairy hooks on the fibres.

Coffee grounds supposedly work too. Dry ash is obviously not handy for slime trails to stick to.

2 dead hedgehogs found together in the local graveyard apparently.  People putting slug pellets on a grave is the current theory.