How does your garden grow?

We have life! Maybe they just needed more water. Poured yesterday and they were left out in it. Brought in last night and this morning. 4 out of 50 showing so far.

IMG_20220512_112305830.thumb.jpg.22898c32e46c69391ffe259bb47802d7.jpg

One is growing out of the side of the cheap cardboard pot that's split. Might need to re pot I guess. 

IMG_20220512_112323102.thumb.jpg.3b146ee826d7ed6c8b54fa06fc566c3c.jpg

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Onoff said:

One is growing out of the side of the cheap cardboard pot that's split. Might need to re pot I guess. 

Usual to send ones like that to a psychotherapist.

Sprouted a lot faster than mine.

3 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Usual to send ones like that to a psychotherapist.

Sprouted a lot faster than mine.

Mine have been brought in overnight, maybe that's the reason?

12 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Mine have been brought in overnight, maybe that's the reason?

Could be. My seed was quite old, been in the useful draw for 2 or 3 years.

Just got a timelspse package for my old kindle. Shall see if I can set it up overlooking the beauties.

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

I wouldn't repot it (you don't want to disturb the roots), just either pop it in where you finally plant it sideways (i.e. with the green bit pointing straight up), or pot it sideways in a larger pot with some more compost 🙂 

4 hours ago, DevonKim said:

I wouldn't repot it (you don't want to disturb the roots), just either pop it in where you finally plant it sideways (i.e. with the green bit pointing straight up), or pot it sideways in a larger pot with some more compost 🙂 

Whoops...too late.

They know which way is up  and these pots are meant to disintegrate with roots through. But it should be OK.

It was simply their time to emerge not due to the rain.

But hoorah for you and your beans. Let them grow to 4 inches and harden them off before planting. The slugs will be lining up.

I'm just making an old 50 gallon drum into an overly complex garden incinerator, not for me just smacking some holes in it with a pickaxe!

Aiming to save the wood ash to sprinkle around the beans to try and deter the slugs. 

I have 2 beans that are 100mm high and have planted them in the ground.....3 snails and 4 slugs were lurking but have gone away.

Also a clump of sweet peas to attract insects.

The adjacent courgette is growing leaves slightly faster than they are being eaten.

I only have 2 more beans growing, very slowly. Most have rotted in the pots, either through being old stock or too much water.

So I have also planted some more beans direct in the ground. If they grow that will look like clever succession planting for a longer season.

Headline news. The shallots are bolting, which isn't perfect, as that is the biggest they will grow.

26/50 at the mo on the runner bean front.

Plan tomorrow is finish the 50-gal drum incinerator as a source of wood ash I'll keep to sprinkle round the beans as a slug deterrent.

I'm making a garden incinerator, in part for some wood ash. To a design from the Crop Protection Agency:

Baaguide_incin2.jpg.0a661a83092f9c32a11dcd0168d40890.jpg

That's the lid on top from my now burnt out, cheapo incinerator. Just keeping a bit of the rain out. 

I've a big sheet of "diamond" pattern reinforcing mesh and a bunch of long M10, black bolts for the grid etc. 

IMG_20220515_171703677.thumb.jpg.cbca4dfee0b661a70ce327b58cacfc46.jpg

IMG_20220515_185923944.thumb.jpg.a77203bc49467796dcf1c2b7f215ac88.jpg

6 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I'm making a garden incinerator, in part for some wood ash.

So all that helpful carbon, that could go into the soil, is to be sent into the atmosphere, where we have more than enough.

Shame on you.