How does your garden grow?

Bl00dy sycamere stumps. In the absence of a stump grinder and the sheer size of them we have cut down as far as we can go without knackering the chainsaw blade (there is soil inside the stumps as some of them are multiple trees that have created stumps merged together)!

Started to drill lots and lots of deep holes, filling full of poison, oil and anything else in can put in them and then hopefully covering and burying them and. Hopefully they don't then sprout again. 

IMG_20220521_170352.thumb.jpg.91bb3f32da45a85086334ac8c2c3e977.jpg

1 minute ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Started to drill lots and lots of deep holes, filling full of poison, oil and anything else in can put in them and then hopefully covering and burying them and. Hopefully they don't then sprout again. 

There's a few videos on YouTube where a guy drills lots of holes and fills with cooking oil. Once soaked in he sets fire to the stump.

17 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Started to drill lots and lots of deep holes, filling full of poison, oil and anything else in can put in them

You are a bit close to the canal, have you checked what you can poison the stumps with?

6 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

as we can go without knackering the chainsaw blade

You can get muck chains or carbide chains for saws depending on what you’re cutting - these don’t blunt as quick in dirty wood. Get the chainsaw vertical and plunge cut around the centre as that is where the main tap root is. 

6 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Started to drill lots and lots of deep holes, filling full of poison, oil and anything else in can put in them

Errr … poison..?? Only thing you need is decent root killer such as Glyphosate in the correct formula and whack a load of copper nails around the edges to stop the cambium layer growing (which is where you’ll get regrowth). 

They will take a few years to decay - I’ve seen them up to 20 years old still like rock though so you may need to be patient ..!!

10 hours ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Started to drill lots and lots of deep holes

I drilled 25mm holes around 100mm deep and filled with SBK. None of the sycamores or beech showed any life but the ash trees have tried throwing some shoots which I just rub off with my boots.

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

You can get muck chains or carbide chains for saws depending on what you’re cutting - these don’t blunt as quick in dirty wood. Get the chainsaw vertical and plunge cut around the centre as that is where the main tap root is. 

Errr … poison..?? Only thing you need is decent root killer such as Glyphosate in the correct formula and whack a load of copper nails around the edges to stop the cambium layer growing (which is where you’ll get regrowth). 

They will take a few years to decay - I’ve seen them up to 20 years old still like rock though so you may need to be patient ..!!

That's it, Glyphosate that's what I have put in there! Our neighbours suggested engine oil too but if I get time today I'll just keep drilling more holes and chuck more stuff in there. 

The plan is to cover them and then there will be membrane and some mot going down as we are putting something on there. Hopefully they won't grow through all that!

Edited by canalsiderenovation

13 hours ago, Onoff said:

digging to get them in level.

If not filling it as a 'raised bed', and just using the existing ground then i would suggest minimal digging. digging brings up new weeds. Get the grass and roots out though OR cover in cardboard and soil.

Would it work to dig little holes maybe 150 dia and 150 deep for each plant and infill with soil or compost? bean roots are good at penetrating even heavy clay once started.

No-dig works well for me, and the worms and plants do the work.. (I'm not so keen on the no-dig guru's advice about full moon planting etc.)

Aside from the 50 Czar runners I've got going, I got some other runners and dwarf bean plants for my birthday. Tbh they were well along and needed to go in. SWMBO found a couple of pots and some canes as a temporary home. 

Crack of dawn this morning I found one 'orrible grey slug! Soon flicked him off. 

I'm trying a band of 9x1 copper on each pot tonight. Badly soldered into hoops and held on by duct tape whilst the CT1 sets! 

1653245884099-1672026899.thumb.jpg.fbcda13709a37e10c437e327973181d0.jpg

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Slugs can live in the soil, so the copper bands may not stop the greedy bastards.

I wonder if low power electrodes in pots would stop them better than a sprinkle of salt.

When I mentioned the slug SWMBO came out with an indignant "Well, I used half the soil for the pots from the compost bin and half from a bought compost bag!

As though by uttering words, however insane it makes it all better. 

😂

4 hours ago, Onoff said:

. I feel I'll be giving lots away

6 plants will be enough for you. You will be starting a market stall.

Did you know to pinch out the growing tips to make the plant spread.....and make more beans?

In one summer glut I did beans 3 ways in one meal. Indian, ratatouille and plain.

One thing about having lots...you can pick them small and tender.

On 23/05/2022 at 12:13, saveasteading said:

Did you know to pinch out the growing tips to make the plant spread.....and make more beans?

Nope, never heard of that. Tell me more!