Cladding

ryder72

A part of our build is specified as clad.

Planning has been granted for dark stained vertical timber with no specific mention made of the cladding detail or colours/timber type. We were consider prestained larch cladding from Russwood or Silva. We had also looked into a product called Cape Cod from Vincent Timber, guaranteed for 15 years.

As we get closer to looking into the detail, one point that is becoming obvious is that normal timber will need staining on average every 5 years. We have 4 clad elevations facing N/S/E/W with the South and east elevation being the largest and completely exposed to sun so the stain will fade rapidly The North is very close to trees and algae build up cannot be ruled out. Staining will require a scaffold and two elevations are accessible only over a single ply roof membrane.

In the interests of getting something more durable, perhaps timber is not the best solution and I have been looking into composites. In particular, Dura Composites have a very good product at a price marginally higher than larch but with a 30 year guarantee and 50 year life expectancy.

Does anyone have any experience of this product?

From a planning perspective would it matter is we used a composite rather than real timber wthout their prior appproval?

1 hour ago, DavidFrancis said:

Just looked at their web site and the page on cladding (http://www.duracomposites.com/cladding/composite-cladding/) says "10 year warranty and 25 year expected service life"?!

Is it worth trying to see if you can use unstained cladding?  Or do you not like the uneven weathering effects?

I reckon I would want 50 years "expected" life.

F

@DavidFrancis- I definitely want black timber. I am not a fan of unevenly weathered timber unfortunately.

@Crofter- Its also got to be vertical timber. We had planned board on board with 20mm overlap but this is proving to be impossible to achieve with the composites. The best I can get is a tongue and groove effect material and I can live with that.

@Mikey_1980- The Marley stuff is all horizontal board stuff so not suitable for what we are trying to do.

I had a sample of a product called Teckwood come through today. 10 year warranty 30-50 year life expectancy. Frankly, if it goes 20 years I am happy beyond that its not my problem.

I'm planning to use Marley Cedral in light oak to mimic brand new red cedar, it's coming up to crunch time now so glad this topic popped up now offering alternatives. 

This is the look I'm after, will let you know what I choose in the end. 

A few few other options I haven't heard mentioned a great deal -

Canexel - Hawthorn timber appear to be UK distribution, they do a variety of claddings. Got some samples, not that impressed. 

Trespa Pura - www.performance-panels.co.uk - got samples, very nice clean product, sort of immaculate finish. 

rendergrase.png

Edited by Grosey

Am alternative I am looking at is cheap pressure treated softwood.

I know most people look at various hardwoods for cladding. But how about this:

garage_cladding.jpg

It's pressure treated (presumably softwood) cladding from Jewsons.

This has just been applied to my local garage (that's a new single storey extension)

I will be looking with interest how this weathers over the next couple of years and see if it retains an even colour any better than untreated hardwoods.

I guess you could stain it any colour you want, but any stained colour is likely to fade over time.

27 minutes ago, Grosey said:

I'm planning to use Marley Cedral in light oak to mimic brand new red cedar, it's coming up to crunch time now so glad this topic popped up now offering alternatives. 

This is the look I'm after, will let you know what I choose in the end. 

A few few other options I haven't heard mentioned a great deal -

Canexel - Hawthorn timber appear to be UK distribution, they do a variety of claddings. Got some samples, not that impressed. 

Trespa Pura - www.performance-panels.co.uk - got samples, very nice clean product, sort of immaculate finish. 

rendergrase.png

Tresta Pure is lovely,  with a lovely price to go. I think we got a Marlay light oak full board and really didn't like it - having a bigger area changed how it looked compared to a sample. Will try dig out pics when I get home. 

2 minutes ago, jamiehamy said:

Tresta Pure is lovely,  with a lovely price to go. I think we got a Marlay light oak full board and really didn't like it - having a bigger area changed how it looked compared to a sample. Will try dig out pics when I get home. 

Yeah that would be great, we've only seen a sample and it's a big commitment to base on 6inches... ?

Difficult to find many photos of the light oak installed anywhere online.