Triassic

ASHP pipework

I’m going to install an ASHP, no idea which one, but around 6kw in size. What size pipe work do I need 15 or 22mm?

22mm minimum.  Most are VERY sensitive to flow rate and require quite a high flow rate, I had to fit a second pump to mine to satisfy it. So there is an argument if a long run for going up to 28mm.

Always go 22mm to a heat source - 28mm is even better for long runs however you may need to check the heat pump connections. I know the last couple I’ve seen have 1” or G1 connections so 1” to 28mm is possible but looking inside the units the pipework to the heat exchangers are only 15mm. 

It’s about 15m run out to the ASHP and 15m return.

Following with interest as I am thinking of a similar long run. Pre-insulated pipes?

My pipes run inside the house, do they need insulation?

Yes, otherwise it will add unwanted heating in the house when just trying to do DHW in the summer.

The installation manual will specify... From what I've seen from Mitsubishi etc, all seem to have 22mm connections. Yes, fully insulate the full pipe runs.

Requirement for pipe insulation is covered in Appr Doc L1A and the Domestic Building Services Compliance Guide

Also interested in this thread as we have just moved plant room location on our plans to the front of the attached garage but need to keep heat pump in same location at back and will run pipes through. 

Just had this discussion with M&E consultant yesterday.  He has suggested using 3 seperate ducts rather any more innovative Uponor products just to ensure as much flexibility as possible. Unsure exactly what duct is proposed though, currently allowing 3x75mm ducts.

In our case ASHP will be about 6m away.  I've seen some people take duct through EPS, but thinking we'll probably just use a pre-insulated pipe and take it under EPS.

These are our pre-insulated pipes put in below the sub-base.  3 x REHAU RAUTHERMEX 25mm+25mm/111mm DUO PIPE

187fea76-0cf9-4f13-a7a7-f7d3eb7d34dd.jpeg.c76f0d20f25b5a6ddeb1e6e4959d7cf4.jpeg

• Like 1