House naming..need inspiration

Try using Google translate to turn something into a foreign language. For example "Open Skies" translates to "Oka lani" in Hawiian. If you translate it back the other way as a check it says it means "It's Heaven".

A letter to the relevant Embassy to check Google is correct might be worth doing!

Apparently "Raon Uaine" means "Green field" in Scottish Gaelic.

Edited by Temp

4 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Interesting challenge  if you are up for it, to find a name unique in the UK. You can check using the PO postcode finder if it exists anywhere else. 

Ours is apparently one of only two homes with the same name. Frankly I'm surprised anyone else would also have chosen F#@kwit's Bottom ?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Randomiser said:

Not sure, I would worry it would become misspelt as Corpse Corner!

True. We used to live in a road named Kingfisher Copse and regularly received mail addressed to Kingfisher Corpse. Funny thing was there's a cemetery on the corner of the road.

6 hours ago, ProDave said:

As many of you know I have refused to pay the council house naming tax.  We just chose a name and started using it.

Same here, not being on the official database has not proven to be an impediment for commercial delivery outfits prospering in the 21st century.  If the Royal Mail wants to sow the seeds of its own demise by trying to sell an incomplete PAF database then good riddance.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Interesting challenge  if you are up for it, to find a name unique in the UK. You can check using the PO postcode finder if it exists anywhere else. 

We bought a cottage once called Merrijig. Vendors said it was named after a place in Australia. It really fitted the place. I wrongly assumed the chances of there being another anywhere were non existent until one day at work when a letter landed on my desk from someone who also lived in a house called Merrijig.

I did ask why; they liked dancing.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, NSS said:

True. We used to live in a road named Kingfisher Copse and regularly received mail addressed to Kingfisher Corpse. Funny thing was there's a cemetery on the corner of the road.

There is a saying out there somewhere which is something along the line that we name streets after the things that were there before we built the houses, so kingfisher corpse could perhaps be apt!

8 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

It only lists up to 10 instances of a particular house name from all over the UK.  So I can't tell how many houses there are with the same name as us. But if you narrow it down by typing part of the postcode I find there are only three in the IV postcode area (4 counting ours that is not on the list) the nearest being 12 miles away.

If you have ever heard of the app - what three words. Essentially it is company that has mapped the whole world in a 3m x 3m grid and uses three words for that exact location to use it in. Some countries are considering it in placement of postcodes or addresses as it can be used universally around the world. Interestingly they needed approx. 40,000 words for the whole world (unkown if they took out all the rude words...)

if you use it for your house/plot location it may draw up some inspiration...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, StevieD said:

If you have ever heard of the app - what three words. Essentially it is company that has mapped the whole world in a 3m x 3m grid and uses three words for that exact location to use it in. Some countries are considering it in placement of postcodes or addresses as it can be used universally around the world. Interestingly they needed approx. 40,000 words for the whole world (unkown if they took out all the rude words...)

That's rather a good idea.

You could name it for the three words that make up the location.

"Goat cactus dirigible".

Edited by Ferdinand

Fingers crossed you get there we have a similar plot just under an acre tho, it’s surrounded by stone walling and was a field where the farmer put his sheep so we’ve called it The Stell (sheep enclosure) council were happy with it. 

Ideas we came up with 

toft house (a homestead and the attached arable land)

The toft

hollyhaugh

OR 

farkhaugh ?

another question tho does anyone know how long it takes from application of new address to complete as utilities are not interested until named.

Same for us.  Until not long before we moved in we were "plot adjacent to Willows".  Didn't seem to cause any problems for anyone.  The only slight embuggerance was getting SSE to change the address to the proper one.  Took me maybe a dozen 'phone calls over a period of more than 6 months before we finally got the address corrected with them, and even now there is a typo they made that seems impossible to get corrected (does mean we know when data has originated from SSE, though. . . )

8 hours ago, StevieD said:

Great idea..

11 hours ago, Jeremy Harris said:

W3W gives "corrupted salads stumpy" for the entrance to our place.

Presumably the order of the words is fixed, hence fewer total words required. So someone else could be "stumpy corrupted salads"?

6 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

Presumably the order of the words is fixed, hence fewer total words required. So someone else could be "stumpy corrupted salads"?

Looks like it.  Here's where "stumpy corrupted salads" is, in the middle of the Alaskan wilderness, near Prudoe:

image.thumb.png.0e0847b074b568fb2c69ebdbaa1e5dfc.png

• Thanks 1