What do you think of this custom exterior grille?

Over a year ago I ordered a custom twin exterior grille for our MVHR installation from a well known and highly regarded ventilation system supplier. It was to be baffled to segregate incoming and outgoing air streams as some off the shelf (but not large enough diameter for our needs) products also do.

I was told that one was made, but the powder coat was mistakenly done black instead of white.

I was told a replacement was made, but it was misplaced during a warehouse relocation. It was apparently later found, but could not be sent out as it had received scratches to the finish.

I was told a third was made and ready to be shipped to me back in June. It would be sent out along with the ventilation unit*.

My order was passed to a new point of contact who told me such a grille wouldn't work and I asked him to check with the managing director, as I was not only assured that it was possible (and knew this myself anyway), but that it was sitting there waiting to be despatched.

The ventilation unit arrived, but a standard single stainless steel grille was with it.

I phoned to ask where the custom grille was and was told the store man had sent the wrong box.

I was then told the fabricator was being chased to have the grille finished ASAP.

A few days later I phoned to ask when the grille would be ready and asked to speak to the MD. He said he "didn't really deal with that end of the business any more", but sent me a photo to prove the grille existed.

On Friday I received this:

1478520149492-310574067.jpg

20161107_114031.jpg

20161107_114143.jpg

20161107_114046.jpg

20161107_114128.jpg

20161107_114243.jpg

20161107_114300.jpg

20161107_114328.jpg

20161107_114501.jpg

20161107_114205.jpg

Would you be happy with this, at a cost of just over £100 and having waited over a year for it?

Any thoughts and comments welcome.

* I will start a separate thread in relation to this shortly.

Edited by slidersx200

I take some assurance that consensus is in line with my own opinion, but a conversation with the sales manager earlier suggests there may be resistance if (more likely when) I try to return it as it's a "custom order". I advised him that I shouldn't be expected to retain any old rubbish on those grounds and forward photos as he himself claims not to have seen it.

I suspect the local play school could do better, using a few empty toilet rolls and a cornflakes box.

4 hours ago, Temp said:

Perhaps your local secondary school metalwork shop could do better (for a donation).

• Like 1

Speaking as a former metal fabricator and welder, this is absolute crap and any half-decent tin basher would be ashamed to put their name to it. Forming the grille from two separate pieces is bad, the pigeon sh*t welding is bad, the weld dressing is bad, even the holes are elongated and as for the paint finish, either the various coats have reacted with one another or the top coat was applied before the previous one was dry. Doesn't look powder coated to me either. 

Around £100 is a good price for an item like this as long as it is well made, but please don't accept this rubbish. It can be fabricated far, far better than this.

• Like 2

I know for a fact I can do significantly better than this, despite having never welded and not having done metalwork since school some decades ago.  

1 hour ago, slidersx200 said:

a conversation with the sales manager earlier suggests there may be resistance if (more likely when) I try to return it as it's a "custom order". 

As you rightly say, "custom" doesn't mean "can't be returned no matter what stench is emanating from it".  

If they refuse a refund on this, I'll be interested to see their reasoning.  

If they claim it is powder coated and it isn't then they should take it away and power coat it given they will need to clean if back to the bare metal for this, there will be considerable expense along with transport for it from you to them and back. Is there a drawing somewhere, if there is and the measurements are not close again they should rectify. By the time you have finished it will be cheaper for them to get @Rattyjohn, or a mate of his, to make them a new one and powder coat it. Don't be bullied, you have the evidence already in the form of the photos so I would knock it back directly, before you have even got it if thats an option.

Edited by MikeSharp01

I would firstly test to see if it's powdercoat.

Looking at the reaction on the surface I'd be fairly certain that's a cellulose based coating. Grab some cellulose thinners and either chip off a peice of coating and place in the thinners, if it softens or dissolves its not powdercoat, or put some thinners on a rag and rub the surface. If the coating transfers to the rag then again it's not powdercoat.

This would be a useful starting point for not being supplied what you ordered and a failure of contract. 

• Like 1

I can say with absolute certainty that it is not powder coated and would hazard a guess that it's been sprayed with something like a tractor enamel or perhaps just an aerosol.

For comparison in terms of hole sizing on the mesh, here is a photo of the standard cowl I was mistakenly sent the previous week:

20161107_211038.jpg

I would have serious concerns that just using the grille I was supplied would result in filters full of insects on the intake side.

Given that the exhaust side has no louvres, I'd also be concerned about driving horizontal rain finding it's way up the duct and perhaps even into the MVHR unit which is less than 1m away from the tip of the vent.

Today I had to chase a response to my email to the supplier from Monday, having been told I would receive a reply on Tuesday. What would you say to this:

"sorry I have been away on other business, can you send the grill back in order to address your issues re standard of finish. I want to have the item repainted and welds etc examined, re the painting please bear in mind that this is a galvanised product, so I want to check re reaction to paint used etc.

Re the mesh, it is correctly sized and is current as per Airflow design"

I'm not sure the painted parts are actually galvanised, but even if they are, I don't think effectively saying "we/the fabricator painted something potentially unsuitable, so a reaction was possible/probable" inspires much confidence.

I'll be contacting Airflow in the morning to see if they have guidelines or minimum standards for protecting the unit from ingress of insects/debris.

The more I look at it though, the less convinced I become that it will even have the ability to prevent the exhaust air being drawn back in through the intake.

"your" issues? Check the welds? Has he actually seen what they sent you!?

I'd just say no, you've had a year and several attempts, if that's the best offer you have, give me a refund.

Did you pay by credit card? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jack said:

"your" issues? Check the welds? Has he actually seen what they sent you!?

I'd just say no, you've had a year and several attempts, if that's the best offer you have, give me a refund.

Did you pay by credit card? 

Our builder actually paid them and I paid the builder. Things are strained enough with the builder for a multitude of reasons and I wouldn't expect any help from them in this case.

I might take a road trip up to the supplier for a face to face "chat" about where we go from here.    

• Like 1

does the joint in the mesh help with airflow as well? the guy is FOS and from the sound of it has been from the start.

I stayed out of this as you didn't need another person just to express how poor that product is. but its starting to annoy me now.

I thought he said it was powder coated? 

do you have a picture of what you ordered in the first place?

I think you are being very kind (if not too kind) not mentioning the company name.

• Like 1