Onoff

CHEAP Hardwood Door

Recommended Posts

Wow! its a long time since I've bought a hardwood door! Need something like this for a back door. £250 at Wickes just for the door! I'd be a bit happier if I could get the frame and sill for that too...

 

Any suggestions for a cheap supplier? Seems a travesty I need to cut a cat flap in it as well!

 

Cheers

 

door.JPG.c884ea9213742a266670c317d106079d.JPG

 

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Georgia-External-Oak-Door-Glazed-2-Panel/p/9000236161

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is everything on eBay, Gumtree etc, up North, so much cheaper than down here in the South?

 

Looking at 2nd hand upvc doors. Tredegar, Barnsley, £50 - 60. Down here triple it minimum! 

 

🙁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barnsley.  Hailing from God's own county myself, I feel qualified to point out that a Yorkshireman is pretty much a Scot, but with the generosity wrung out of him. Got to price it keenly if you sell up North!

 

(no offence intended, all stereotyping acknowledged, ee bah gum, I'll get me top coat) 😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

Barnsley.  Hailing from God's own county myself, I feel qualified to point out that a Yorkshireman is pretty much a Scot, but with the generosity wrung out of him.

glad to see someone who realises the Scots are generous, normally we're classed as tight gits 😀

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I buy a s/hand upvc, 2 panel door that needs a piece of glass for the top panel, how much smaller than the opening do I order the new piece? Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/01/2020 at 21:07, Roundtuit said:

a Yorkshireman is pretty much a Scot, but with the generosity wrung out of him

And a Cornishman is a Yorkshireman with the last drop sucked out.

 

I got my car MOTed and a mate, instead of asking if it passed, said 'how much did that cost?'

Now I just put silly numbers on things to upset him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

And a Cornishman is a Yorkshireman with the last drop sucked out.

 

I got my car MOTed and a mate, instead of asking if it passed, said 'how much did that cost?'

Now I just put silly numbers on things to upset him.

 

Nice to see graduates of Ecole Ferdinand have reached Cornwall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Nice to see graduates of Ecole Ferdinand have reached Cornwall.

I suspect that Yorkshires moved here as economic migrants in the 18th and 19th century, then took what they learned back, including Trevithick's boiler designs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that little exchange with a seller on Gumtree has really knocked my faith in the site and people having common decency!

 

Agreed to collect a door from the seller Sunday afternoon. I was actually going to make a +200 mile round trip as it was the exact size I needed. Gave him my phone number etc. Received a message tonight:

 

"Just to let you know

Door is now been sold

Sorry"

 

I messaged back that I thought we had a gentleman's agreement and that I wasn't impressed. 

 

"I've been let down before by people promising to turn up

So whether yr impressed or not it's sold"

 

I know how Gordon the Gopher is feeling tonight.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Onoff said:

Well that little exchange with a seller on Gumtree has really knocked my faith in the site and people having common decency!

That's really crap. I lost faith with Gumtree last year after some scamming buyers tried to rip me off. I don't use it any longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

I lost faith with Gumtree last year after some scamming buyers tried to rip me off. I don't use it any longer.

This is what happened to me and I to avoid it now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

That's really crap. I lost faith with Gumtree last year after some scamming buyers tried to rip me off. I don't use it any longer.

 

Tbf, to date, I've only had good experiences buying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a lot of sympathy with the seller.  Previously when selling cars you get plenty of people who say they can come tomorrow and never turn up.  I am not going to turn away potential buyers, it sells to the first one to turn up with cash.

 

I would probably have explained that to you and said phone when you are ready to set out, and if it's still available I won't sell it during the time it takes you to get there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next time pay pal them or bacs a small depo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't PayPal for a "collect in person" item.    Or more a case as a seller, don't accept PayPal payment for a collect in person item.  In the event of a dispute PayPal will side with the buyer if no proof of delivery exists.

 

Sometimes scammers use this, pay for an item with PayPal, go and collect it, then wait a few days and claim it was not delivered and get their money back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got banned from Gumtree. Used it to post an ad for our caravan when we had finished with it (used for the build) and the ad got denied as a breach of rules. When I asked what I had breached I got banned 😂. OH posted the same ad from his account, all ok and caravan sold to first viewers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Sometimes scammers use this, pay for an item with PayPal, go and collect it, then wait a few days and claim it was not delivered and get their money back.

 

Or the other one people always used to fall for. Some story about needing to pay more money into Paypal than the item is being sold for and they would collect the item and the excess cash from the buyer. Then after collection you find out that it was a stolen credit card and Paypal do a chargeback and you lose the lot. Chargeback is always a risk with Paypal in any event. Never pays to be too quick off the mark to post even if the buyer is pushing like mad. Seeing the money in your account doesn't always mean it's yours. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I have a lot of sympathy with the seller.  Previously when selling cars you get plenty of people who say they can come tomorrow and never turn up.  I am not going to turn away potential buyers, it sells to the first one to turn up with cash.

 

I would probably have explained that to you and said phone when you are ready to set out, and if it's still available I won't sell it during the time it takes you to get there.

 

Seller is an arse. A promise is exactly that. I'd arranged my weekend around going to get it. Hopefully he dies a painful death when the door falls on him in tomorrow's gales. Karma. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ProDave sometimes a tenner on pay pal for an item worth a few hundred quid you don't want sold out from under you does the job. Time and a place though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just bought some new oak doors from a company who were off loading their seconds on eBay. For an idea of the price I got a  mexicano solid oak for £93, 6 panel glass for £110 and a stable door for £125. company name were deal4doors. They had been slightly damaged in storage, just the odd scratch or corner dent. As I'm a French polisher no big deal for me but having had them delivered I don't think anyone would turn them away.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now