Finally started de-construction

2016-10-11_12_28_14.jpgAfter many months planning and waiting for my retirement we have finally started demolition of our old cottage.

We always thought it was an old stable and carriage room. The structure we found buried inside the lounge wall confirms it, have a look at the attached.

The glazed window was also inside the wall2016-10-11_12_28_17.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I had a HUGE amount of construction timber on our site. I sat and looked at it and said "I really cant throw away / burn most of that". It then dawned on me just how much work it would be to de-nail, sort and then stack (somewhere!).

In the end I just put an advert on Gumtree "Free Wood", It was ALL gone within a day. One guy turned up with a Luton van and filled it. Many others just filled their cars for fire wood.

• Like 1

The whole lot is infected with wood worm, dry rot and wet rot. There must also be a rot i don't know about. We did try and give it away for bonfire night but they all wanted me to drop it off

It is best to burn it all as soon as removed especially as we are going timber frame for new house

2016-11-05_15_00_16.jpg

I got a load of timber that came over from NZ as packing and timber in shipping containers to brace machinery. It's been put to good use over the years. It came with all it's kiln drying certs and so on as the client was belt and braces on every little detail.

However.....we now have "funny" spiders in the garden.

I am being quite serious.

On another note the supplier would frequently fill the containers with their local beer (Speights) and lovely stuff it is too. We must have pissed them off as one time the crate was littered with bottle caps but no beer! :)

Edited by Onoff

In a previous employment, we imported a lot of stuff from Brazil. What lovely packing crated that came in. For a while it was all just burned on site on a bonfire every week, and employees could help themselves.  I still have my trailer planked in that lovely hardwood, and a lot of the stu walls of the extension in a previous house were made of the frames of the packing crates.

Sadly this scrap wood became "registered waste" and it was no longer allowed to burn it, or even give it away, and they had to start paying a contractor with an appropriate waste licence to remove it and dispose of it.

55 minutes ago, ProDave said:

In a previous employment, we imported a lot of stuff from Brazil. What lovely packing crated that came in. For a while it was all just burned on site on a bonfire every week, and employees could help themselves.  I still have my trailer planked in that lovely hardwood, and a lot of the stu walls of the extension in a previous house were made of the frames of the packing crates.

Sadly this scrap wood became "registered waste" and it was no longer allowed to burn it, or even give it away, and they had to start paying a contractor with an appropriate waste licence to remove it and dispose of it.

Had the same nonsense at my last workplace. A large amount of old office furniture (25 years old) was replaced at the end of the financial year.  The caretaker stacked all of the old furniture at the back for with a sign saying help yourself, which staff duly did, until someone from admin said this wasn't allowed and it could only be sold or disposed of to a licensed operator. I actually tried to buy a couple of desks but they couldn't even decide how to charge and wouldn't accept offers. In the end they paid to get them removed...utter madness.

13 hours ago, Onoff said:

I got a load of timber that came over from NZ as packing and timber in shipping containers to brace machinery. It's been put to good use over the years. It came with all it's kiln drying certs and so on as the client was belt and braces on every little detail.

However.....we now have "funny" spiders in the garden.

I am being quite serious.

On another note the supplier would frequently fill the containers with their local beer (Speights) and lovely stuff it is too. We must have pissed them off as one time the crate was littered with bottle caps but no beer! :)

Ah. Speights... have had my fair share of that when I spent a year doing farm work in NZ. High time I went back...

We have just completed the demolition of a 1983 timber frame bungalow. We (actually mainly me!) removed the nails as we went along. Time consuming - yes, but satisfying and worthwhile as now burning on our wood burner. As softwood, it has limited calorific value, but burns well.  And today we have completed the sub base for our new build, expecting MBC in early December!

• 1 month later...

It was the red rhino 5000. Took all day and coped with most of the materials. They do block now and again usually when a bit of wood gets in.

You can specify different size output. however smaller takes twice as long.

Our operator put it through twice as for the fine material as it was quicker.

SAM_2245.JPG

I would love a few hours playing with a crusher. Did you crush it and then remove it all off site or are the piles of crushed material left for future use? I can see if it's crushed you would have fewer removal trucks.

When I did the bathroom floor I graded mixed hardcore  (the old floor, old roof and bathroom tiles, clay soil pipes, bits of Celcon etc) through a 40mm mesh to make my own Type 1. It was very Labour intensive breaking the big lumps up by hand. It compacted down alright but the proper stuff is better.

Nothing has been removed, it reduces by about 50% volume. We have dug out top soil and replaced it with the crushed hardcore as the new drive way is quite large.

Kept a large pile on site in case we need to lay around house if it becomes muddy and to back fill once completed.

Based on a delivery of recycled road plannings we had about 60 t of hardcore. after crushing. it cost us about £10 a tonne to crush. As we did not need to muck it away probably saved about the same ( muck away is £220-260 a load)

Edited by dogman
  • Like 1