Finally started de-construction

6 hours ago, dogman said:

It was the red rhino 5000. Took all day and coped with most of the materials.

Thanks, that's the one I've been looking at. Do you mind me asking what you paid for a days hire? Would it cope with 4" thick concrete.

Edited by PeterStarck

Peter we had the crusher digger and operator for just over 600.

The machine copes with most things as long as it is clean( no mud or metal) 200mm is about the biggest. We had some extremely hard concrete that was hard tto break with a breaker and although it was slow it managed it.

It does actually crush it there are two large metal plates arranged in a V that move together, it was surprisingly quiet

• 2 months later...

At long last we have got going again. 

Due to some delays with slab design we lost our ground work team. However as is the case in building industry(apparently) i was passed from one contractor to another until one wanted the work.

They turned up this morning with a five tonne machine so a bit smaller than expected but the operator is really good and has made good progress pulling out the old footings and levelling the base.

IMAG1951.thumb.jpg.ad6c8c70ae330502ca88a8bbcf77b7f3.jpg

Only slight issue is that the expected chalk across the site as found when we dug trial pits has become subsoil in the middle of the dig ( the dark brown stuff at the edge of the chalk)

It is still very firm but Building Control have asked us to refer it back the the S.E

The hole is currently 1m deep at the end nearest the camera but that will be lowered by 500mm when we finish