Help needed

Stace

Hi our home is 3 years old, and over the past few months noticed this patch down the walls, which is just getting worse every time it rains. Could anyone give me any advice to why it’s doing this and how to fix the problem please. It’s down both sides but this is the worst. Many thanks. 

5527E4A5-E208-4A88-8A3E-9A3E42BB3C83.jpeg

DEFD2F0E-C63B-4FF3-9911-8D38EF07DACE.jpeg

No there’s no water in the lamp, if it was an overflowing gutter wouldn’t the patch start from higher up? Or could it be hitting the middle of the canopy from the gutter and going down both sides? Sorry if I sound stupid, I genuinely have no idea. There’s no guttering on the canopy it just slopes straight down.

Edited by Stace

8 minutes ago, Stace said:

Hi our home is 3 years old, and over the past few months noticed this patch down the walls, which is just getting worse every time it rains. Could anyone give me any advice to why it’s doing this and how to fix the problem please. It’s down both sides but this is the worst. Many thanks. 

9 minutes ago, Stace said:

It looks like there isn’t a gutter on The rainwater is running down staining the brickwork 

5 minutes ago, nod said:

It looks like there isn’t a gutter on The rainwater is running down staining the brickwork 

Just now, Stace said:

There isn’t a gutter. I don’t understand why it’s just started staining the bricks after 3 years, the neighbours don’t seem to have this problem either. 

3 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

Going slightly of the point, but is that the best place for the lantern, if the water is coming down, could it work its way into the cavity?

I never thought of that! Just another thing to add to my list. 

4 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

maybe give that a blast with a pressure washer, whilst it might have recently appeared it does look a bit like it's formed over time and more stuff is holding on?

(what an awful detail that is for a canopy!!)

I’ll give it a good scrub over the weekend. I just don’t know how to prevent it from happening again. 

Looks a bit like tannin staining? I wonder if there is a timber "rafter" fixed to the wall? If there was an issue with the flashing between canopy and wall that allow water in contact with that rafter perhaps tannin or mould is being washed out onto the wall.

Edited by Temp

Looks like an organic stain  to me. You can see little patches starting to form. Lichens in there? Fed from the dirt laden rain off the roof. Presume the other side of the canopy is OK?

I imagine, if you put a spirit level front to back under the canopy, then that side might lean back rather than tilting forward.

I'd be making up a small stainless shoe to "hook" under that red oxide coloured piece of the flashing at the top of the stain. It'd shoot the water out away from the lamp too. 

Not got any nests as in birds/bees, wasps up in there?

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Looks like an organic stain  to me. You can see little patches starting to form. Lichens in there? Fed from the dirt laden rain off the roof. Presume the other side of the canopy is OK?

I imagine, if you put a spirit level front to back under the canopy, then that side might lean back rather than tilting forward.

I'd be making up a small stainless shoe to "hook" under that red oxide coloured piece of the flashing at the top of the stain. It'd shoot the water out away from the lamp too. 

Not got any nests as in birds/bees, wasps up in there?

Thank you, definitely no nests. There is a little staining on the other side too but not as bad. Sorry to be ignorant but what is a stainless shoe? Tried google, but not bringing anything up similar to what I imagine. x

19B417FE-C58F-45EE-8C1A-326DA785C0B8.jpeg

58F9D983-560B-4EEF-83E8-9CBBC56E156D.jpeg

9659CD40-8D38-402D-89E3-F473F1B57A7F.jpeg

E74C6069-D87D-40EF-886B-BF2344DBCF0C.jpeg

14 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

looks like there's no flashing and the staining is from behind. I wouldn't be happy with that but I'll the more experienced hands offer something more constructive...

I wouldn’t expect anything less from this house, we’ve had none stop problems since moving in. I doubt it would be covered by the NHBC either. So another problem we’ll have to fix at our expense. Can you recommend a way to fix it myself, or any I better getting in professionals. Thanks. 

37 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

looks like there's no flashing and the staining is from behind.

+1 there will be wet wood behind that up stand and it will all be gathering crud between it and the wall then leaching out, that’s what I think you are seeing. The only good solution will be some sort of flashing. 

There is nothing above like any kind of flashing to stop rain hitting your wall and running straight on down till it hits the timber.  

You could loosen the Bolts a tiny bit and put some good quality silicone in between the upstand and the bricks. Tighten the bolts up and clean of any excess. 

Best long term option is to cut a lead tray into the brickwork. 

That’s a fibreglass canopy made in a factory and installed on site. 

Looks like it leans backwards towards wall. 

To confirm this get s hosepipe and simulate a bit of rain, see if it tracks back against wall

put a spirit level on underside of canopy, I bet it slopes backwards. 

Re, fit leaning away from house 

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

That’s a fibreglass canopy made in a factory and installed on site. 

Looks like it leans backwards towards wall. 

To confirm this get s hosepipe and simulate a bit of rain, see if it tracks back against wall

put a spirit level on underside of canopy, I bet it slopes backwards. 

Re, fit leaning away from house 

Thank you, will try this. 

2 hours ago, Declan52 said:

There is nothing above like any kind of flashing to stop rain hitting your wall and running straight on down till it hits the timber.  

You could loosen the Bolts a tiny bit and put some good quality silicone in between the upstand and the bricks. Tighten the bolts up and clean of any excess. 

Best long term option is to cut a lead tray into the brickwork. 

I definitely think it’s out of my scope of DIY, especially long term. So looks like I’ll have to get the professional in, thanks.