Cheap Chinese Inverters

Conor

3 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

“All Mitsubushi Ecodan products must be installed and commissioned by a Mitsubushi trained installer to comply with the Mitsubushi warranty"

not sure that is correct any more - the block exemption removed that a while back as it creates a Cartel operation.  

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

not sure that is correct any more - the block exemption removed that a while back as it creates a Cartel operation.  

So what does block exemption give as a minimum? 

As another example Samsung are stating 12m parts only unless installed by one of their approved installers. Its 5 (Gen 5 units) or 7 years (in the case of the Gen 6) as standard if installed by one of their approved installers. 

Statutory 12 months as a minimum although the consumer legislation may say that it’s deemed longer due to expected life. 

But not that much in one to go wrong so it’s a bit of a punt as to how long they will last. I’ve had a  Sanyo unit running for 7 years now with no servicing. 

On 25/10/2019 at 11:10, dpmiller said:

these guys are worth a chat, they re-sell the L&C unit and have an optional paid extended warranty package

https://www.peakenergyproducts.co.uk/monobloc-ashp-s

Andrew is the contact.

Tried them by phone this morning on their main number and it goes to answerphone. That inspires confidence! 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, bissoejosh said:

I really like the all electric idea but I'm concerned as we don't have PV how much it will hinder our SAP to the point we may struggle to pass regs due to the unfair penalty on electric solutions. I need to dig the software out again and re run.

Aren't the SAP penalties for electricity, at least for CO₂ emissions, being reduced?

1 hour ago, Triassic said:

I’m also one of those hesitating about the need for an ASHP. I’d also be interested to hear from Jeremy and @TerryE on their recent heating and hot water experience.

This is such a big decision for most people and I am not sure which way to go. Over the last 18 months I have been certain on a Sunamp but with recent issues now I am not so sure. I like the simplicity of a willis heater but then the decision on hot water crops up so what do I do there. PV is an option but have not made our mind up regarding this as we do not want it to spoil the look of the house but on a DIY basis seems the right thing to do. 

• Like 1

I have a small ASHP from Ebay but no PV. DHW tank rather than sunamp. I have not configured our heat pump to cool as in our location it has not been necessary (so far). So being all electric did not hinder my SAP and my running costs are a lot lower than my previous house.  Looking to lower them even more by going E7.

Edited by joe90

1 hour ago, Barney12 said:

Tried them by phone this morning on their main number and it goes to answerphone. That inspires confidence! 

Guess they are being inundated with orders from BuildHubbers!

5 hours ago, Triassic said:

@Conor,  @Barney12. @oranjeboom.   I’m also in the market for an ASH pump. How is the search for a competitively priced unit going?  Maybe a bulk buy would save us some money? 

First potential installer I was speaking to is now off my list. They just don't like to communicate. So had another come and have a look and estimated that I would need a 16kW unit (???!!) instead of my anticipated 10-12kW, but waiting to hear back on his quote later this week. Another local company is now an official sunamp installer so keen to hear what they have to quote for an ASHP as they can fit my sunamp unit at the same time.

I'd be up for a bulk buy if there's sufficient discount and not bothered about RHI as if that does double the price, there seems little point!!

3 hours ago, joe90 said:

I have a small ASHP from Ebay but no PV. DHW tank rather than sunamp. I have not configured our heat pump to cool as in our location it has not been necessary (so far). So being all electric did not hinder my SAP and my costs are a lot lower than my previous house.  Looking to lower them even more by going E7.

I sooooo wish my system had your simplicity. Any one reading this who's at the planning stage....KIS (Keep It Simple). 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Triassic said:

With the decarbonization of electricity, why would SAP be an issue?

Because SAP was calculating on a kgCO2e/kWh higher than the actual grid was producing. AIUI, SAP has been or shortly will be updated to reflect the actual grid decarbonization so far.

(We could have a long discussion about the difference between the average emissions/kWh for the whole year and the marginal emissions on a winter's evening but that'd just be tedious and repetitive.)

8 hours ago, bissoejosh said:

I really like the all electric idea but I'm concerned as we don't have PV how much it will hinder our SAP to the point we may struggle to pass regs due to the unfair penalty on electric solutions. I need to dig the software out again and re run. Did you have any issues with this @TerryE?

I understand that the current SAP has improved, but we still got a pretty acceptable SAP rating.  Wasn't an issue, but then again we didn't have one of these self-build mortgage requirements; we just needed to meet min Breg requirements. 

I didn't care about the SAP rating (so long as our BInsp was happy), just real-life performance.

Edited by TerryE
  • Thanks 1