How to design a cheap 450mm square window.

epsilonGreedy

The garage end of my outbuilding incorporates a brick lean-to shed 3m x 2m. This is an architectural embellishment that breaks up the shape of the main garage rectangle. The lean-to shed is accessed internally from the garage and is otherwise windowless, hence the only natural light will be via the main garage door when open.

At the last minute I have decided to add a very small south facing window 1 block wide and two blocks high at eye level, think small sky light in the wall. The wall has a 100mm cavity with facing bricks.

My self build neighbour suggested buying the cheapest small window from Wickes and customizing the masonry aperture to the purchased window. Cheap windows are surprisingly expensive.

My Plan:

1. Form a 450mm square hole in the wall.
  2. Create a wooden frame from 200mm x 35mm softwood using my mitre saw at 45 degrees.
  3. Fix frame with a 60mm reveal in the facing bricks to keep it out of the weather.
  4. The frame will act as a cavity closure ( no cavity insulation planned).
  5. Fit single pane of glass the old fashioned way with wooden bead and putty.

What could go wrong?

Edited by epsilonGreedy

Oddly enough I picked up a tip from a joiner today.

Go to your local double glazing window company and ask to see their "graveyard" where all the wrong size / damaged / rejected windows are stacked up. Find one about the right size and start haggling.  You can sometimes get a bargain. 

• Like 1

I used glass bricks to make an internal, high level, window, that lets a bit of light into one of our bathrooms from the hall.  Not only were they relatively cheap, but they are also pretty good at keeping noise out.  They let a surprisingly large amount of light in.  The window I built is four bricks wide and three bricks high.  You really need to use the thin stainless steel strengthening rods in the joints, though, to give the window enough strength.

12 hours ago, JSHarris said:

I used glass bricks to make an internal, high level, window, that lets a bit of light into one of our bathrooms from the hall.  Not only were they relatively cheap, but they are also pretty good at keeping noise out.  They let a surprisingly large amount of light in.  The window I built is four bricks wide and three bricks high.

Since reading your post I have been looking at glass bricks online, previously I thought they were thick bottle-green lumps with poor light transmission. These look promising:

https://glassblocksdirect.co.uk/product/clearview

Four will create my porthole window for £10 though the white mortar at £21 for a full bag distorts the over call cost plus another £17 for delivery.

12 hours ago, JSHarris said:

You really need to use the thin stainless steel strengthening rods in the joints, though, to give the window enough strength.

My window will be about nose height in the gable wall of the brick lean-to with about 6 courses of regular facing bricks above, which raises a question about whether a lintel is required above the glass bricks in such a lightly loaded situation.

Those look like the same make as the ones I used, except mine were conventional brick size.  I found that the mortar seemed to be very like white tile adhesive, and if I had to guess I'd say it was exactly the same stuff.  I also found that it was essential to use the reinforcing rods.  Wickes stocked these when I was looking around for some.

14 hours ago, ProDave said:

Oddly enough I picked up a tip from a joiner today.

Go to your local double glazing window company and ask to see their "graveyard" where all the wrong size / damaged / rejected windows are stacked up. Find one about the right size and start haggling.  You can sometimes get a bargain. 

‘Personally I think the glass brick is the way to go or as Russell says just buy a small window.... however at some point I had it in mind to build a garden room and got given about 10k worth of double glazing units for free..... they came brand new from one of the big window manufacturers, just wrong sizes or wrong orders etc and they handed them over for free to a friend who was going to make an aviary out of them but it never happened..... I feel like I could be heading in the same direction! But I will hang onto them in the hope that I get there one day.  I also regularly turn down brand new units from local hardwares as I have so bloody many already ! So the moral of the story is if you want some random glass just go and ask and get them for free, they would have to pay to dump them.