Lining a wall with plywood: how thick should the ply be?

ToughButterCup

I'm also doing this in a few areas and will mostly use visible fasteners and make a feature of them.  Something useful i'd not been aware of until seeing them (at 6:55) in this video is screws with reversing threads at the top, which enable balancing any thickness variances that might throw the flush faces of adjacent panels off.

22 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Lining a wall with plywood isn't as easy as it looks, I'm sure.  But then nothing else in house building is either. 

We are considering lining some walls with ply. The substrate for the ply will be battens fixed on concrete - perfectly rigid, therefore. 

Question is, how thick should the ply be?

Thanks,

Ian

We used 12mm sanded then danish oiled. We’re pleased with the effect. 

A47839E1-F3CA-487A-B22F-D628061A536B.jpeg

BD234BAA-234E-4265-AA06-DFC8C9FF9BD4.jpeg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

As long as it is less than 50% of floor area it is OK, so a feature wall, not the whole room.

Is this 50% of the floor area of the room it is in or 50% of the whole house? 

I am having this ‘discussion ‘ about  flame spread with BCO at the moment. 

You guys building will be far too busy?but the gym we frequent is lined like this. They have used a block patten with large sheets butted up and each edge is chamfered if memory serves.  Looks crap but each to their own eh?The door arcs are the same.

oh, it’s JD gym and I image each site is the same decor.

Could take some pics in a couple of weeks if anyone is interested in the detail. In St. Ives at the minute so can’t get there just yet.

32 minutes ago, Patrick said:

What's the finish on the ceiling there? I can't quite tell from the photos but looks good as well.

That’s the faces of the 7x3 timbers with painted plasterboard in between. 

This thread inspired a conversation about having a ply feature wall. (We are planning kitchen units with some exposed ply, so it would all tie together nicely).

Immediate reply from my wife was "won't that be a nightmare for hanging pictures / shelves etc?" -- we'd fear to drilling into it as it's much harder to polyfilla it over if making a mistake or future change of needs. How do others deal with this?

I guess could go full-industrial with some sort of wall racking system. Or totally pegboard it.

Response from Oz:

Unfortunately the ShadowFIX system can only be sold with our plywood.  We do not have a UK distributor, we can pack up and quote ex-Brisbane if you organise the shipping.

Regards

Lizan Yee
National Sales and Marketing Manager

AUSTRAL PLYWOODS
P 07 3426 8666 | D 07 3426 8628 | M 0439 277 223

Thinking out loud...

I reckon you could use a biscuit jointer to route peripheral slots in a thick board. Then commission some METAL biscuits with a counter sunk hole for fixing. The biscuits could be sized to give the desired gap between boards.

Mega dust trap behind...

I'd be worried about the board "drumming" with fixings just around the edge.

How about.....MDF panels as a wall covering? You could get them laser or water jet cut as interlocking, organically etc shaped panels and have them powder coated.

15 hours ago, joth said:

This thread inspired a conversation about having a ply feature wall. (We are planning kitchen units with some exposed ply, so it would all tie together nicely).

Immediate reply from my wife was "won't that be a nightmare for hanging pictures / shelves etc?" -- we'd fear to drilling into it as it's much harder to polyfilla it over if making a mistake or future change of needs. How do others deal with this?

I guess could go full-industrial with some sort of wall racking system. Or totally pegboard it.

I would try a different type of fixing. You could perhaps rout a "picture rail" groove into it, or attach something industrial-looking to do the same job?

I posted a piccie recently of a scaffold plank feature wall being used by my Lettings Agent in a decor scheme from a professional HMO in Nottingham. I am still undecided, but it is an attractive option as the surface is not pure. Now seems to have vanished as presumably the room is rented, but like this:

scaffold-plank-feature-wall.thumb.jpg.2d82f5ebf414f2d5df693fef15f16236.jpg

For hanging things or posters etc, I have never done better than the cork tiles I used for a whole wall once. They included partially black cork, so it was a texture.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

On 29/06/2019 at 09:34, Alfow said:

We used 12mm sanded then danish oiled. We’re pleased with the effect. 

A47839E1-F3CA-487A-B22F-D628061A536B.jpeg

BD234BAA-234E-4265-AA06-DFC8C9FF9BD4.jpeg

Interesting - that does not chime with me personally, despite one of my favourite themes being simple modern styles with exposed materials.

I think that for me it is neither one thing nor tother. That is too many materials all trying to be themselves such that none of them get the space to be their best, so it comes across to *me* as a bit too "smorgasboard", almost "tartan".

If I was to live with the busy grain from the ply, I would want the rest to be very quiet. So I might have gone eg for simple black doors.

Not a criticism; more a different perspective.

I have perhaps been conditioned by medieval church interiors in England stripped to stone and plaster having visited so many; if you put me somewhere like the Pugin Gothic Revival Roman Catholic church in Cheadle I find it impossibly busy:

St_Giles_Roman_Catholic_Church,_Pugins_G

fordwych-church.thumb.jpg.1f14e0673e07c19daa10f60805013169.jpg

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

• 3 years later...
On 01/01/2023 at 19:44, Onoff said:

I reckon those boards are wider than normal scaffold boards.

Oooh. My old post has matured like an English Sparkling Wine from Nyetimber.

I make it 10 and a bit planks in that piccie, so at 225mm each for a 9" board I make it just on a 2.4m ceiling height.

F

On 01/01/2023 at 19:34, markharro said:

Hi @Mr Punter - I dont suppose you know where Scottish regs are on this? thanks

Check which version of regs you are working with.

I don't know what the Scottish ones say, but the English ones have changed last summer - so may have happened in Scotland too.