-
Posts
11830 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
101
Everything posted by ToughButterCup
-
Connecting to public sewer 800m away?
ToughButterCup replied to Drellingore's topic in Waste & Sewerage
No. The issue is where the discharge (of whatever quality) goes - in this context a drainage field. You appear to me already to have done some thorough research. We had exactly the same problem. Not enough land for a drainage field and one neighbour who refused to consider the issue. Another neighbour actively on the 'over my dead body ' warpath. How tight is space? I ask because I'm keen to have a closer look to see if I (we) can help . An anonymised map perhaps ? -
Connecting to public sewer 800m away?
ToughButterCup replied to Drellingore's topic in Waste & Sewerage
Ring the EA and talk to them. Their response will help formulate your application. It helps (here - BH) to start with a pithy problem statement (the fewer adjectives the better) and an accurate post title. Followed by a broader description with context as necessary. Format the text to aid readability. Use white space to emphasise key issues. Readers skim. They don't read unless the post is relevant to them Finish with a clearly expressed question. A joke helps. -
Thank you very much indeed @SteamyTea. Very informative. I'll need to think about your reply a bit, but I'll get there eventually.
-
New member... over budget at the start, what to do?
ToughButterCup replied to worriedexpat's topic in Introduce Yourself
Price tables like those in SPONS can't (and so don't) make allowances for highly experienced, highly motivated people like you (us ?) @ProDave. Its a bit like @nod going to an architect, and getting a price for his newbuild from the poor man (or woman) - I'd be able to hear Gary laughing from my place - 25 miles away. -
New member... over budget at the start, what to do?
ToughButterCup replied to worriedexpat's topic in Introduce Yourself
Something's wrong here. And I bet the source of it is that you are abroad: not your fault. I lived in Berlin for years, but had property in the UK. Somehow when I was away, simple things got many orders of magnitude more difficult. A simple instruction to an agent would simply be ignored. The properties I owned were round the corner from the agent concerned: 100 meters or so. To me this 'smells' like the same type of problem. You can't just pop into the office to bollock someone. And they can always lie about their ability to pick up the phone. And, like it or not m Put some stick about: if nothing happens, rip up and start again. -
What would happen if you changed the position of the thermometer? I ask because 1.9 seems to me to be well within the range at which a SignificantOther would not notice the difference. Actual temperature and perceived temperature differ in this household.....🙊
-
The format doesn't matter, as long as it's consistent. It isn't required, but I paginated the document and provided an index. I made sure that the document submitted was as neatly presented as I could manage. They still managed to ferk it oop royally. (Couldn't read and interpret the meaning of the date of letter accurately)
-
I taught him everything he knows, but not about walk-on glazing.
-
Vee Tschermans often sit on our medicines too. I learned the song : Pop Goes the Weasel to that routine. It all works so much faster
-
Structural engineer letting us down
ToughButterCup replied to KayleyH's topic in Surveyors & Architects
Our SE never once visited the site. The service excellent, prompt, honest and when warranted humorous. When our SE was asked about stuff he didn't normally cover (ICF lintels) he recommended other SE(s) I point this out because - for many jobs - there is no need for the SE to be local. The ability to communicate well under pressure is important - sometimes people find it easier to reply by email.... -
This summer-time exercise worked for us. Feed them outside for a week. Then - with the cats inside the house - put their feed outside at the tunnel entrance with both flaps up. Then one flap down .... Then do the same with both down.
-
I know it's not just the size that matters...
ToughButterCup replied to Alan Ambrose's topic in New House & Self Build Design
Don't let anyone in the food-chain attached to your house know that. The p!$$ will be taken mercilessly. Work on £1800 per square meter or less -
It is worth a bit more investigation or Yes it does annoy you .... because....
-
Is this an invention to drive @SteamyTea (further) up the wall? Or worth a bit of thought? I ask because Octopusy (my energy supplier) is pushing it.... I mean, what next Welsh Dressers doubling as a space heater? It shouldn't be allowed
-
Correct. Follow @ProDave's advice.
-
Ignore every letter, or email, answer no phone call. Remember the lesson. Wince.
-
Welcome. The answer is contained in the General Binding Rules for small discharges : Yes, the landowner(s) can say 'No' and frequently do. We had this problem and solved it like this..... We asked our near neighbours for permission to put our foul drain pipe across their land. They refused point blank. Even when we offered £5K. We asked another neighbour: she agreed subject to proper paid for advice, and a proper legal agreement. I arranged all of that, £2K later, it was all sorted out. The major irritant was the speed of their lawyer's work flow : glacial.
-
Self-centering internal pipe-cutter - for plastic
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Tools & Equipment
Builder's foam p!$$es me off big-time. Have a read - at my expense. -
Self-centering internal pipe-cutter - for plastic
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Tools & Equipment
Yes. But I need to be able to 'tune' the inlet. So I need a proper inlet fitting. It's the one nearest the MVHR unit, (2m away) so I suspect I will need to throttle that particular inlet back a good bit. -
Which is your tightest constraint? Money, time, effort; all three; any two; just one, none? And visibility. There's yer starting points for thinking. An annoying answer, I suspect. Are you overlooked - if not JustBloodyDoIt. If yes, how many CockWombles walk past your place? Loads. Suck yer teeth for a while. Time: your arrangement is temporary for two years. Bingo: " Whatcha moanin' abart Mr Official From The LPA - it's comin' daown in a jiffy - push orf. " Put HERAS up and a set of B-F-O Notices up to cause fear and trembling to all ..... Do as little as possible: Stick To The Knitting: the house. Loads to do there.
-
'S almost as $hite as mine
-
Self-centering internal pipe-cutter - for plastic
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Tools & Equipment
The end in mind is to 'countersink' the outlet such that the vent assembly sits sufficiently far above the finished ceiling to be clear of the opening door. To do that, I need to cut inside the outlet. Since I can't simply remove it, trim and replace it, I need to cut up inside' the outlet by about 12 mm. And then re-fit the vent. Making sure that cut is clean and level was exercising what's left of my brain. -
Self-centering internal pipe-cutter - for plastic
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Tools & Equipment
I need to trim this MVHR Inlet back by about 15mm. Currently, I'm (was) thinking that I need(ed) to fit a 'stop' of some sort inside the outlet, and then trim tight-up against that - .... unless there's such a thing a self-centring cutting thingamajig ..... meanwhile The BH Collective comes up trumps. Thats what I need @MikeGrahamT21, a depth stop attached to a cutter shaft (with a cutting blade on it) . Self-centring is a distraction . A problem shared is halved innit. Yer a star Mr Graham. Thanks. Thanks @twice round the block good idea, BUT ; we'd better keep @pocster away from one of those hadn't we..... -
Self-centering internal pipe-cutter - for plastic
ToughButterCup posted a topic in Tools & Equipment
Is there such a thing?
