-
Posts
11830 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
101
Everything posted by ToughButterCup
-
So lost our builder today.
ToughButterCup replied to CalvinHobbes's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
Well founded founded persistence always brings increasing resilience in it's wake. You just get better at it. There will be many similar tests. Remember your previous success. It's the foundation of tomorrow's. -
So lost our builder today.
ToughButterCup replied to CalvinHobbes's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
And so much better than extended silence followed by unanswered phone calls. Building a house pushes everyone involved, even when things are going well. Can your ex-builder put you on to anyone? -
Anyone can make a mistake. But how many is too many?
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Power Circuits
I remember a post by @TerryE advising us to - after 6 months or so - going round to check the tightness of terminal screws. And I thought - well I winced - 'tain't gonna ' appen pal. An' anyway the man's retired innee... Hmmmm. -
Anyone can make a mistake. But how many is too many?
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Power Circuits
I'm in love.... -
You and yer Flemish blonds Russ 🙄
-
Anyone can make a mistake. But how many is too many?
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Power Circuits
Go on, show me. I dare ya. Found that out the very hard way. 2 CUs, 20 circuits in each. 28 used so a fair few spare. Every one on an RCBO. Winced a bit when the bill arrived. But, DeleteTheExpletivePlease(expletive deleted) [thanks very much] It, overall its not worth worrying about. -
Anyone can make a mistake. But how many is too many?
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Power Circuits
Right. Thank you very much for that post. You've set me off on yet another steep learning curve. It might be useful for me to pull together a couple of images, one of a ring circuit and the other a radial circuit and post them here so that others can have a look at what you are talking about. There is so much in your post above which I just don't understand, by that I mean fundamentally don't understand. -
Electric loft ladder
ToughButterCup replied to health mechanic's topic in Lofts, Dormers & Loft Conversions
Dunno if I'm just a bit pissed ... but anyone have a mental image of their children / grand children 'havin' fun' on that Leccy Ladder Thingy ? -
Anyone can make a mistake. But how many is too many?
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Power Circuits
May I play Devil's advocate then please @Radian ? What's wrong with a (my) ring then? -
Anyone can make a mistake. But how many is too many?
ToughButterCup posted a topic in Power Circuits
Electric circuits - loads of them 👍 Sockets - loads of them 👍 Are they in the right place? 👎 "Oh but, I want that [...] there now, not where we planned it ..... soz .." Weak smile. "Needs an extension then dunnit. Grrrrr." Rinse repeat. I'm not prepared to admit how often I've smiled disingenuously , swearing under my breath, gone out to the workshop, got another extension out and fitted it. (6) Whassa point of asking what electrics she wants where at the design stage? None. None AtBloodyAll Wimmin change their minds all the foggin' time. Another self-build dream down the plug'ole innit. Phhhhhhhhhhhhh. Is it me - it is innit ....? -
Welcome. Right place, right time .... should be able to waste at least half your life on this board. I have 😙
-
Is this the problem you need to solve..... ? How to seal - waterproof - the gap between the bottom of the cladding and (probably) the path round the house We used Ubiflex. Its good stuff. Bit expensive, but cheaper than lead.
-
Anyone know what these guys do with rainwater?
ToughButterCup replied to Alan Ambrose's topic in Rainwater, Guttering & SuDS
No. But whatever they do, it's likely to be overpriced. Here's why -
New member... over budget at the start, what to do?
ToughButterCup replied to worriedexpat's topic in Introduce Yourself
Something is wrong here. Are you still overseas? Many people think self-builders are made of money. Time to tell it like it is: this is all too expensive to the extent that the p!$$ is being taken. £4K + per square meter is pure fantasy - nonsense bollocks piss-takery. Many of us are on under £2k per square meter. @nod is on under 1k ish, I'm on just under 2 with my set of ferkups. Most are are roughly in the 1.5, 1.8 region. Rip it all up, start again. Face to face, sleeves rolled up, and no bloody nonsense. If you are abroad, get yerself over here for 6 months, and put some stick about: save yersel' £100K. -
Builder asked could we employ him?
ToughButterCup replied to CalvinHobbes's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
Employing him directly ? Return from injury ..... Burning finger-tips ...... Not even a phased return? Unless there is a compelling reason perhaps? -
This is a long shot. Peter Millard did a series of videos about building a door with the corner cut off like those you show above. There might be something on this video series that helps. Hope so Ian
-
Thats what we (had to) do.
-
But I love spam. I cut it into minute chunks and drop it into stews and tomato sauces - SWMBO has no idea she's been eating it for the last 30 years or more. Small victories eh.....
-
Thats not clear: and stipulations need to be clear . What's a majority? What size does the pond have to be? Can the pond size be halved and the other half into a drainage field? Are you in Scotland? Because if you aren't, I'll bet @SteamyTea's best carving knife that the BCOs in England won't give a CockWombles Tadger about those conditions. Ours - looking at my request - at our Inundation Pond said "Oooooo, hmmm " And walked off
-
... got me interested in what the spam was now.....
-
New member... over budget at the start, what to do?
ToughButterCup replied to worriedexpat's topic in Introduce Yourself
To me, this looks like an area where you might save a good deal. How many stairs / stair ways? -
Ouch. Thick as mince me......
-
because ... ?
-
Initially I thought that heating a house was complicated : often the subject of myth , common practice and the obscure - if not arcane - delights contained in a plumber's van. 'Irons' , tapered threads, olives, compression nuts, 4 bar, 12.5 degree bends (still dunno what thats about) air admittance manifolds washing up liquid (FFS) spanner rash and to go with that, a set of swearwords that would secretly delight the average nun I remember a post of yours from years ago which revealed (to me anyway) the delights of a £40 electric-oil filled room heater: heats the air directly , costs little to run and nothing to maintain. Simplicity in action.
