Jump to content

ToughButterCup

Members
  • Posts

    11830
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    101

Everything posted by ToughButterCup

  1. You could tame, train and then store bats in them 🦇
  2. You are correct. Tell them '.... I am a Domestic Client under CDM 2015.... Please tell me the name and contact details of your line manage so I can submit a complaint about your interference on a private site....' And then a cheerful Prestonian Bye Bye....
  3. Here's a selection of videos for you to peruse, and maybe kickstart your own ideas. I'm looking forward to making ours -
  4. Very interesting indeed Terry. Thanks. Ian
  5. Does this question mean can the inverter divert power to the battery during the day IF the battery is ORIGINALLY set up to take night-time electricity ?
  6. Thanks for that explanation @Radian
  7. Provided you are a Domestic Client (thats really important) your project is NOT notifiable. Here's the definitive guidance. (HSE). For further reassurance you can also read this thread on this board (about CDM 2015) @nod's point about keeping the site secure is the key issue for you, I would think.
  8. Here's a link to a good few spreadsheets for you to peruse. We're at the end of our build: the most important thing for us was to make the time to update the spreadsheet regularly: it almost doesn't matter which sheet you start with - you can adapt it to your needs as you go. But tiredness got in the way..... I wish I'd thought to create a spreadsheet that could be easily updated on my phone as well as on my PC and tablet. I should have made the spreadsheet simpler.
  9. Welcome. Welcome also to The School Of Oh Sheet Too Late Now. 5 years in to the as yet unfinished build and I'm unpicking yet another school-boy error of my own making: one made 3 years ago : it has been quietly waiting to sneer at me for not having [ .... doesn't matter what it is ..... ] It will take two full days to rectify and cost me about £200 or so. I should read my signature line more often. 'Cos I'm not laughing now. Pub in an hour or two. Ask me then.
  10. + 1000%. In fact it's probably as important as the product itself. I'd ask your supplier what their re-supply situation is: for us with (spits hard) Durisol it was hard work.
  11. Well, just round the corner from you (Lancashire) , I'm hearing that customers are pulling the plug on building projects if they have arranged finance recently on a variable rate. A good chippy near us is talking about the end of next year before he can come: and no drop off in sight. Another local builder was glad to be able to come and work for us replacing the chimney on our cottage as soon as the weather improves next Spring. Currently the picture is variable, but the trend is worsening. All of this is word-of-mouth: to be taken with a pinch of salt, therefore.
  12. You might want to consider using acrylic render mesh behind the second coat of render - but as others have said, be guided by @nod. It smooooves out da bumps.
  13. Remind them that they did our house (Salamander Cottage) which is 12 meters away from our other cottage, and that they put a vibration meter in; and that reports to their HQ in real time. Vibration was no problem at all. And this (below) is as bad as it got .... 3 meters from the piling rig while working (I used the well-known bowl, water and food colour meter)
  14. The big thing about Durisol UK (for an intending user ) would be the lead time for supply and - worse- re-supply.
  15. @JohnMo, are Durisol-UK still trading? I thought they were (are?) in receivership.
  16. You've got me hooked. Where? Do you have a link to examples?
  17. Yes, it is crazy. But to know the difference between crazy and sensible the question needs to be asked. All credit to you, therefore, for asking it. If the idea were sensible, everyone would be doing it. If this board demonstrates one thing it's the creativity and drive that self-builders have. And at the planning stage all sorts of ideas bubble up. Some need tempering with experience. If you can, get permission to view a pour on an ICF house. The forces exerted are huge. As I know to my cost: cost as in I'd be able to change my car now if ..... ahhhh, never mind just look at my posts about ICF
  18. One starts with us early next year ...
  19. Yes it may well be. It was for us. I say may be ... will a couple of barrow loads of earth make up the level to less than 2.5m? If so, do it.
  20. A local tradesman who -four years ago - couldn't find the time for us, turns up on our doorstep a couple of weeks ago looking for work. Two large contracts he was just about to start have been pulled. Interest rates.
  21. Just what I thought @PeterW. My issue is - how does anyone assess what is reasonable? Wyre publish their list of BC charges here. The Inspection charge for a new house is £390 A neighbouring LA (Fylde) charges £431 for a newbuild. Lancaster - just up the road from us charges £510 for the same thing. Those are the only comparators I have. The argument put forward by the Wyre BCO (and other authorities) is that Reversion Charges are individually determined. Fine. Why then would they need to charge just under double what they charge for a newbuild when any Reversion - by definition - cannot incur the same amount of work. Moral: If you need to reclaim your VAT AND move in before Completion - never let the LA Valuation Officer anywhere near your house. It starts a process over which you have absolutely no control Lets see what happens when I refuse to pay the bill. So, sit back and enjoy the fireworks.
  22. Thats the key question..... If you need your VAT refunded and you occupy the house before completion and the BCO stands on ceremony and inspects within six weeks (as per the legislation) - the so-called final inspection the LA have to take over and the process - and fees - start all over again. And all because we took down the HERAS round our house , allowing the LA valuation officer onto the site. Lessons? There can be 2 Final Inspections. Inspectors are standing on ceremony because of Grenfell LABC inspectors can - it appears - charge what they want. My question is - is it reasonable to challenge the LABCs intended fees - in this case £750 - about 50% more than I was charged for the whole house by the original inspectors?
  23. I'll have a sniff at least - might even report back if I don't stick my nose to a brick ......
  24. And presumably, it has a certain bouquet does it, and when you take a sip , then swill it round your mouth there's a certain fizz is there? Right.... Must try that later today
  25. Even if (say) a quarter of the bag is one lump of solid cement, but the rest is powder..... ? I've got one or two of those and I'm about to skip them
×
×
  • Create New...