Jump to content

ToughButterCup

Members
  • Posts

    11830
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    101

Everything posted by ToughButterCup

  1. Ha! See the air brick ....? It looks a tiny bit '... low...' to me. Probably doesn't make too much difference, but it might . The rest of the wall looks well maintained - recently well-painted, and there's a proper drip strip to absorb splashes. I'd try and clear round that corner - strip the carpet back. Take a pic and we'll all have a look. Thanks Ian
  2. Go outside to the same corner as shown here. Take a photo of the wall - see if you can get the damp proof membrane in the shot, and post it here, please? Why? To see if the source of the water / dampness has anything to do with the level of soil in relation to the damp proof membrane - or not. It doesn't look to serious .........
  3. How common ! .... How right !
  4. Here's what the flush-plate looks like when it fails.....
  5. And that well understood reliability is what made me buy Gerberit : and the disappointment the deeper. They replaced the failed part within 48 hours.
  6. A little rant. Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin. This particular design of Geberit flush plate uses levers - not buttons. It's round - so it's a button isn't it ? No it's not. The visual lie is the roundness of the lever. How do I know? One of the two Geberit flush plates we installed broke. So I had to take the flushplate assembly off the wall. The lever is made of a very thin, springy piece of stainless steel, it's stuck to the back of the so-called button. In normal use, pressing the 'button' means people press the middle of the circle. So less than half of the potential power of the lever is used - and the resultant water flush weak. With obvious results - or lack of result if you like. The only way to make the flush work as it should is to press and hold the bottom of the lever while the flush takes place. For the priviledge of being allowed to buy two flush plates, I spent £160. And the ones we bought were the cheapest available at the time. "Oh, yes, they have been known to fail " said the Geberit Tech support guy. And promptly sent me another flush pate assembly of exactly the same design. One word for it ..... Shite.
  7. Yes. But a few years of doing the same task, No. Google and follow Peter Millard on YooChoob. Lots to see there.
  8. Preceded by a massive shortage of lads and lasses with Ordnance Disposal skills.
  9. Have a qiuck look at this .... I installed an iBox behind the mixer / controller . (I bet there are others that do the same) . You can have an outlet for the fixed shower head separate from the flexible hose - and you can duct both of them anywhere. The main point is to be able to switch on either outlet without getting soaked . I put the flexible outlet low down anticipating life in a wheelchair at some stage. And for a few days after my hip operations, I was very grateful for that ....
  10. When a cat walks over it and you can't see the paw prints....
  11. Look at the maximum variation your lawn mower will cope with, and (say) halve that. Dont make the mistake I made - did the job so badly it turned my Mountfield rotary mower into a rotavator.
  12. Good on you lad. Stay injury free - warm ups, cool downs, stretching and that stuff.
  13. Wrong technical term : Midge Repeller ....
  14. Yer a Whirling Dervish man.... Next time put the Littl'un in a sling on yer back and go to work instead of slacking at home eh?
  15. The surface drain drains to ? A soak away? If so all you are doing is tidying up innit ....
  16. The business case for self-build scaffolding (like Cuplok - other brnads available) is compelling. I've had mine for eight years now. While we're getting rid of building kit slowly, I'm loathe to sell our scaffolding. We have two indispensable stillages made out of the stuff. And its in use today because we are at last rendering. Read @Conor's last paragraph immediately above. If you've mastered the trick of lining everyone up and you are ready to go - fine - hire. But if not, put a few thousand aside.
  17. If only I had just one job to do, I would/ could/ might/ should. But I'm still thinking about it. And Mishal ...
  18. Bet the window cleaner doesn't charge much .....
  19. For that job spec, hire one.....
  20. Yes @joe90, I'll try both methods on the Piggery before I do it for real on the house. To Infinity and Beyond !
  21. When work delivered is what they know to be below par, they don't derive any professional satisfaction. They deliver a detailed glimpse of themselves -their behaviour- to all who are willing to look at the signs. And because most people don't care to look, let alone form a valid professional judgement on the work presented, some trades folk - not all - simply don't bother. All the while forgetting that their work is what they are. For all the world to see. Doctors, plumbers, chefs, lecturers, typists [...] Thats the rationale for Professional Peer Review. Healthy, challenging, supportive when necessary. We all need a nudge sometimes. God knows I did (do). Which is one reason why I submit my cock-ups for examination here.
  22. In this case @joe90, all the insulation is on the outside (about 200mm) , and therefore there is next to no chance of the drill being deflected. Inside start I think ...... 110mm of concrete 40mm beyond the outside of the block.
  23. You Bad Boy . Everyone else..... he's just winding you all up. The chances of that ('...invariably...' ) being the case, is close to negative infinity.
×
×
  • Create New...