-
Posts
11830 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
101
Everything posted by ToughButterCup
-
@Jilly's recipe is - from direct personal experience - excellent. Especially the thick curtains. If there an enormous fireplace, put curtains up on the lintel and sit inside the fireplace. Train children to fetch and carry stuff. Pre-heat your night clothes and put hot stones in the bed from late afternoon. Ice makes beautiful patterns on the inside of windows.
-
I've had enough of ....
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
And you tread unwarily, followed by an expletive-filled minute or two -
Hello, welcome. We aren't competent to answer your question. Talk to the manufacturer. In the meantime, tell us about yourself and your build....
-
I've had enough of ....
ToughButterCup replied to ToughButterCup's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
Right. Thats it. Rather than wait for them to ask me, I'm going to tell everyone in the next few days, I'm no longer lending tools. It took your post @Russell griffiths for me to realise that during the entire 8 years of this build, I haven't ever borrowed a tool. -
People thinking that it's OK to borrow stuff from our site and then return it - caked in concrete (shovels, trowels, mixer) smashed, but returned in such a way that you don't notice that its (in this case) wheels are missing with the hoover unemptied and the filter jam-packed with soot moaning when I refuse to lend something driving over hose pipes with a digger and then telling me I need to get the hose mended telling me "I wouldn't do it like that , I'd....... [...] ..... much better" smashing through foul drainage pipes when it is clearly marked with a series of brightly coloured 2 by 2 stakes push-rods still smelling and smeared with the contents from their own foul drain - I should feel grateful they were returned at all I suppose Yes, I know I have the privilege of doing nothing but build our house but Das sind alles faule, beschissene Arschloecher What gets you about some folk who visit your site ?
-
Yes. Any one - any one at all will do. Provided you never ever lend it to anyone else You've hit a raw spot - can you tell?
-
Planning Permission battles
ToughButterCup replied to Indy's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
I've re-read the whole thread. In a similar situation I'd take a break from it for a while, wait for the election to pass and then read and summarise the Appeal Inspectors report accurately compare point for point what the LPA and the Planning Inspector say about each issue they identify in as few words as possible, write a list of all the issues that you think need to be solved and address those issues over which you have some control ask an Independent Planner - (not one recommended by your architect) to review the whole application and give advice and suggest the next steps keep an eye on Planning Policy network among qualified professionals in your neck of the woods research the decisions taken by your LPA Planner - and the outcomes research your Inspector's track record too Summarise what you find. Chew it for a while and then post here. Reading between the lines, some things don't fit: on advice, issues appear to be addressed and then despite that your application is rejected. It might be an idea for you to copy and paste the LPAs feedback and that of the Inspector into a post here - it'll give us all something to chew over. Don't let the bastards get you down. Ian -
Getting broadband/WiFi to my garage.
ToughButterCup replied to Russdl's topic in Networks, AV, Security & Automation
Really interesting - nudged me into searching for EV Ultra cable - and found this I love the idea. It makes sense. But why isn't it properly approved (yet) ? How might a Part P qualified electrician view the statement above ? And how might an insurer view a claim from me when - through no fault of the cable, a fire destroys my (as yet to be built) workshop ? From bitter experience I have come to know that insurers will climb through the thinnest eye of the thinnest needle to avoid considering any reasonable claim. PS very interesting thread @Russdl -
Yes. Whittle / naggle / fettle / pare down / sharpen a piece of kindling to a long rough tube shape. The Scots call that a 'dook' (well my dad did anyway) Whack the dook in the hole with a hammer Whack it sideways with a hammer (dook breaks off) Drill a tiddly pilot hole in the dook Screw the screw Cost? Zilch. Reliability 100%
-
In other words you'll have permission for something you haven't built ? You've knocked the windows out of the original, (and got rid of them?) But you've taken delivery of the new windows. If all of that is true, then the answer is NO. Because all you'll have done is replace the windows. Get them put in before she complains about the draft.
-
Hmmm, when SWMBO comes in to my workshop and says something about my new cross-cut saw - and then asks how much it cost - I have learned to ask her to remind me how much the (say) granite worktop cost, or the new Gaggenau this-or-that cost ....
-
Because everyone in Local Government (and elsewhere) is being instructed to more with less.
-
I need to make a gate for what I hope will be a reasonably secure area in our outhouse. That means a metal frame. The frame will carry some lightweight cladding - The question is what's a reasonable spec for the metal used in the frame ? 30mm square section tube?, Is that too heavy? Here's a couple of screen-grabs of a design that I'd like to follow. (from TikTok) What do you think? 25mm, square section enough ?
-
Just to lighten the mood a bit, here have a bit of a laugh .... Yes it did hurt and I still (8 years ) later have the scar and when my foot is cold, it hurts more.
-
Small Temporary Fence
ToughButterCup replied to richo106's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
'S an Eider duck innit...... -
Dig around just a little bit in this site and you will find the same story repeated many times. Planners - and especially Inspectors - know the score. Unless an objection is Material (to the application), it will be ignored.
-
Do I need planning? Gov. form.
ToughButterCup replied to zaffy's topic in Lofts, Dormers & Loft Conversions
https://www.google.com/search?q=This+property+is+an+article+4+direction+area&rlz=1C1GEWG_enGB1046GB1046&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8 -
Good evening, I'm after advice, hopefully I'm in the right place
ToughButterCup replied to Cross's topic in Waste & Sewerage
'legally' - we aren't qualified to give an answer. But this is the sort of situation which needs a good coat of Common-Sense. His concern will be to reduce the likelihood and effects of a blockage. In all likelihood, all thats needed is a rodding point - which can very easily be 'lost' from view under some grass. One has been 'lost' in our garden for years. I've now marked it with a stake so it doesn't get smashed by a digger - again. A photo or plan, or both would help us help you. An indication of scale would help even more. -
Welcome. I really like @Jilly's suggestion about designing it yourself: I bet though that there's not very much money in self-build design. We're all too cash-strapped. Your comment about building networks are exactly correct: it's a nightmare. Our local pub is - every evening - from 4:30 to 6:30pm full of white-van-men (no wimmin in sight: SWMBO hates it there before they all leave for their evening meal) . Just the kind of person you need now. They come in to the pub with five jobs on the go , and leave with another three in prospect. I'm not suggesting that dipsomania is where building 'is-at', but the local building skills networks are as hard to break into as any local golf-club or Rotary Circle. Find out where your Building-Network meets. The issue tested (and is still - but less so- testing me) to my limits. Hence DIY - straight out of Project Management Theory - Three Pillars etc. One Bhubber called coping with that barrier - DIYMAX. Gets the job done and you learn a lot.
-
@onoff’s been on the silicone again
ToughButterCup replied to Pocster's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
Honestly lads, I'm too young for all of this. (71) -
Steel column and pad in wrong place
ToughButterCup replied to vik2001's topic in RSJs, Lintels & Steelwork
How wrong ? A few mm, or several cm? -
If you could tell us what a boundary is, that would be great. And '...distance... ' from what to what? Not a facetious answer: many struggle to explain the concept. So much money is in play in any build - even small ones - that both angels and people dance on the head of a pin. Post the plans here and help us give you a more considered answer than the generalisations I give here. A simple link to the Planning Department website would help too.
