Jump to content

ToughButterCup

Members
  • Posts

    11830
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    101

Everything posted by ToughButterCup

  1. Thanks for the link to the resource @SteamyTea. Band A. The house is less than half the size of your place.
  2. In our road, there is a house known as The Cheat House. It is sandwiched in the gap between two existing houses. In plan, it resembles a wedge of cheese. The front is one window and one door wide, the rear is one skinny door wide. I need to turn sideways to get through. Internally, the side walls are rubble faced with local stone . The internal stairs are spectacular. If you take ill up there it would take a mountain rescue team to get you out. Quicker probably to remove the window. Noise is better damped in a caravan full of drunken shagging teenagers. Light the fire, and the house (our old place) nextdoor has radiant heat walls. Christ knows what it's Rateable Value might be. One person-living at best.
  3. " That's an interesting thing to say" Smile move on.
  4. For those of us who 'see' better in drawings or images, could you sketch it for us - then maybe photograph it and upload it please? thanks.
  5. Oh dear. That may well have been the case some time ago , but now, it isn't. Assessment regimes are much more rigorous than they were.
  6. I don't know the text-book answer. But if you are asking the question - do we need one (footpath) - the answer is yes. As for buyers - ignore them They change their mind all the time.
  7. Fairness, truth, merit, evidence - what's that? Rules ma boi - we can break them. You -pleb- can't . But of course dwahhhling they don't apply to us. Shhh, don't tell anyone. Buildhub could reasonably be renamed Build-Cynics Central.
  8. I think that a 'hidden' issue here is the way that the meaning of the term 'sustainability' has changed in recent times. We got PP, and our neighbour didn't - despite being just a few meters away , and there being no significant differences between the two plots. Our neighbour applied about a year later than we did. In that time - and without clear reference to the evidence base - our little road (one-lane 'C' road) morphed from a sustainable location to one that wasn't. As if to illustrate @bassanclan's point, a local resident - who has (had) an incurable degenerative disease - used to make her painful way up and down our lane. Rude, exasperated drivers would make her life more of a Hell than it was. Upon meeting her in the road and with her unable to climb into the fence to get out of the way , they would slam the car into reverse and - at speed - rejoin the main road they were trying to avoid. "I'm better than a Sleeping Policeman " she would say cheerfully. No longer.
  9. Whatever my wife says. That was not a flippant answer. I'm deadly serious.
  10. Mine too. He knows our LPA Planner. Knew when to push and when to back off. Networks again.
  11. We ( SWMBO) and I are heavily into Artificial Intelligence at the moment - hence the citation below (ChatGPT4) . I'll run it through a more advanced AI soon as well. ChatGTP -4 under licence Downloaded July 2024 Using AI well involves an iterative process. I have a asked a very superficial question. It would be an idea to reformulate the question with ever-closer reference to your local situation Gary I'd dearly love to delve deeply into this issue, but that might involve intrusion into your particular circumstance, and so be unwise. I'll have a go with my property and circumstances, and then anonymise the results - and maybe publish that in another thread.
  12. Well let's hope you get more than a Sir Humphrey response
  13. Without evidence, that is an outrageous comment to make. You are correct @garrymartin, the micropolitics of this application appears to be a confounding factor. You are also correct in pointing at the Catch22 factor: Sustainability . Who knows what it really means? I admire your attack, I rarely read (here) of such a well-organised approach. Could I suggest that you : + wait a bit for the new regime to settle down; + smell the new policy coffee ; + employ a really switched on planner and; + reapply. Reading between the lines, the LPA is grasping at straws. And has the Inspectorate in it's pocket. You need a well- connected professional who - in detail -knows the micropolitics of the area. Good luck.
  14. I thought it was just us that did that kind of thing. Bloody good idea wasn't it. They come back now and again and say things like " You've learned a good deal since we left ", and "How did you cope with three of us, and no grandparents of your own." Light-weights all of them. Lightweights. A mate of mine comes in to visit occasionally and offload on what appears to me to be a very similar issue. At every turn it seems, his efforts are nullified by some external factor. I try to reassure by reminding him that he hasn't given up trying, - and neither will he - and then pointing to the families he knows where, little by little, contact has slipped into silence > christmas and birthdays> facebook follows > the odd comment > deeper silence. And then long breaks. Isolation. I know you well enough to know that you're not going to do that. Open commitment to people - despite what life throws at us is - very hard. And maybe hard enough for now? Don't underestimate your gift of obvious commitment and moral support. And in three or four years ......
  15. Children don't stay at school for ever. Ours flew the nest after we gave them as much money as we could (some would say bribed ?) In any case we're horrible parents - insist on clean rooms no loud sex after midnight, no drugs, limited rock and roll . If we found their booze we stole it, usually by accident. Well one bottle just looks like another. It worked. That meant we could live in a smaller house. Is four or five years too long to wait?
  16. , and that means I have four Russ: one for white, one for red, one for petrol. On many of the smaller machines, the filler tube is placed almost always in such a way as to make the funnel -flop- one way or the other and that means the funnel wobbles. And so spills. Yes bigger machines are more sensibly organised. But smaller ones are a nightmare. @Kelvin - syphon pump.... good idea. Recommendations ? Please! The ones I've seen on Tinternet seem cheap and nasty - or very expensive.
  17. Ah, Dave.... If only that were the case, I have a breathable spout. I have a Jerry can. But last time I didn't notice that the seal in the Jerry can was poorly fitted. Just enough to cause a leak. So I spilled a whole load.
  18. Has anybody found a foolproof way of refuelling a digger without spilling bits of diesel. I don't know how many times I've refuelled Digger on site and I think I've maybe not spilt diesel just once out of all those times. I sometimes think that the last thing any Digger manufacturer thinks about is how difficult it's going to be to refuel their machine. Surely they can come up with an easy, safe way of preventing fuel spills. Anyway, anybody regularly fuel their digger without a drop of diesel being spilt?
  19. I'm really no expert but if you are thinking about the odd few mm over the width of an IC, then set the inspection chamber slightly lower at lower one end. Two or three millimeters is not going to make any difference
  20. Bump. Could I just ask all of you please ...... When a tradesperson comes to your site to do a job where the price has been agreed - and asks - actually asks - you whether they can borrow your tools , as in "Gotta shovel I could borrow mate ?" (and all four of your shovels are stacked in your workshop in plain sight ) - and the next day, he ( yes, 'he' ) goes into your tool store, takes two shovels and then returns them covered in solidified concrete....... What's your reply?
  21. Good point. So if I just put the mesh in contact with the ground and then put mot1 over the top of that?
  22. I'm planning an external workshop - the internal area will be 30 square meters. Following Chapter 10 of the NHBC guidance, I'm going to use this cross-section for the foundation; I have some left over Geogrid from our build - this stuff I have a good deal more than 30 square meters of it. According to the NHBC, I don't need any 393 - I intend to put in a Movement Joint anyway I'm keen to see the back of the roll of Geogrid. It's fine when its underground, but a right pain in the Botticelli anywhere else. Is there any point in putting it in the concrete as reinforcement ?
×
×
  • Create New...