-
Posts
11830 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
101
Everything posted by ToughButterCup
-
Thanks @Marvin. The idea of a 12volt PV panel coupled to a pump appeals. Both bits of the water feature will be placed on the south-face of the house: so plenty of opportunity for PV. But everything I have read about PV pumps and water features is that - to the limited extent I have read about it - they tend to be fairly weak. We have outdoor A/C available a meter or so away. Sketch diagram to follow soon. Might you have pump specification or maybe a trade / product name please?
-
I remember a video of a very gifted Irish architect ( I'll look it up later) who built his house out of containers. In planning terms, the issue of local vernacular is quite important locally - may not be where you are. For us, it was a useful lever in securing Planning Permission. PS https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/features/grand-designs-architect-offers-his-shipping-container-home-for-auction-to-help-the-homeless/34297141.html
-
Welcome, That was exactly our brief. We used ICF (won't mention the name because it triggers some here) and clad the build with (now) contraband: Siberian larch. It fades to a colour similar to local local barns: '... the local vernacular...' Good luck with the build. Ian
-
Really? I trust you @Onoff, but I'm going to do a little experiment today. A little competition as it were between some Sika Resin stuff I have leftover and CT 1. Thanks for the image - brilliant idea - @Pocster, I'm going to CT1 a naked Barbie to the RSJ on the water feature. There's one in the kid's toy box upstairs That'll light the feminist fires among Debbie's lecturer mates when they visit and have their girls-who-lunch meetings. Mind if I tell them it's all your fault? Second thoughts I'm dobbing you in anyway.
-
The intended water feature is a 'diversion' in our SUDS water flow. At the moment, all the rainwater from our south facing roof is ducted to a sand filter (four tonnes of sharp sand buried under a water garden) and then through an attenuation pond (tiny) down to our pond - called Great Crested Newt Central. Debbie counted 15 the other evening. As many of you have hinted it is maintenance - not the construction - that's the long term issue : though at the moment its the construction than concerns me. I already have a diverter in our south roof rainwater downpipe (a swivelling 'S' bend). The water feature will need a holding tank (yet to be designed) and a system drainage point. Since we're on a slight slope, thats not going to be too hard to arrange. It strikes me that the essential thing to do is to make sure we can drain the water feature quickly and easily - so we can protect it from frost and for maintenance. Refilling it will be achieved with the water from one sharp rain shower, I should think.
-
You might like to edit the image above to obscure your number plate. Apologies for the public post, but your account doesn't accepts PMs. Ian
-
Against my better judgement, I went to the the RHS Flower Show in Manchester recently. And let myself be enthused about water features. I looked at all the beautifully designed displays. "Look at that one sweetheart, she says - and we've got all the materials left over from the build - lying around - doing nothing" Trouble is she is right. And the displays were brilliant.... she's right .... too right. Damn. The jaws slammed shut. She'd got me hooked. No way out now. What about this one she asks looking at Pintrest - that SelfBuild Torture Chamber "We've got the bricks, we've got the cobbles left over. Our mate has a few RSJs lying around " Eyelids flutter...... She knows me too well. So I'm here scrabbling around for an excuse not to do it (just like @Pocster ) I bet those bricks will move won't they ? How do I secure a low stack of bricks like that (above) such that they never move?
-
Neighbour's energy usage
ToughButterCup replied to SteamyTea's topic in Environmental Building Politics
Plank. Eye. -
Best comment of the year so far. Coffee spurting out my nose, cornflakes blown everywhere , dog looking decidedly worried, cats scattered in shock. Not all bad though. SWMBO is already cleaning the floor, the table and the milk splatters from the window. Dentists later today to replace the bridge that's now stuck at an uncomfortable angle. Good start to the day. PS the bridge popped itself back into place. This is a GOOD Monday morning.
-
I have no idea. It was one of those rare occasions when I was either completely switched off, or alert enough to realise that I should remain quiet. The sheer volume of decisions that a DIY Max self builder has to consider is significant. I used to teach: a class full of lively children is - over an academic year - like keeping 30 (in my case) plates spinning all at the same time. Self builders do the same thing: keep on top of many concurrent issues. But without the formal professional training that (used to be) required of teachers before being licensed to teach. It's that breadth of perspective (the formal training) that is missing on our build. I do as much research as tiredness will allow. In this case - the decision process of whether to treat the timber or not - was and remains a closed book. It's that 'hidden-ness' that jangles.
-
I didn't. I assume the second BCO hadn't read the file notes before visiting. He was walking round the build with me and apropos nothing said " I'll just do a quick Fire Assessment...." I kept my trap shut (quite an achievement). Listened to his decision, and - once given - smiled and moved on. You are clearly a more level headed, sensible person than I @saveasteading. I'll go into more detail later (daughter's birthday party)
-
In our experience, the other thing that matters is the BCO taking the decision about the need for fire protection. Two (of the many who visited) BCOs disagreed about the need for fire protection on our house. Both were from the same company. I accept that in our case the decision might have been part instinct and part calculation. But both BCOs stood between our two properties, eyed them both up, solemnly got their calculators out of their pockets, did the relevant measurements and drew the opposite conclusions. Yet another one of those so-called professional decisions, which after 8 years of suffering similar professional inconsistencies makes me extremely cynical about the build sector. The risk of fire occurring here and transferring between our two properties is extremely low. But it would not surprise me at all if similar inconsistencies were found where the decision - to protect or not- really does matter.
-
-
Beautiful image. We used stainless steel screws - increased the cost of our cladding mostly paid in the extra time it takes.
-
It's finding it that's the question. I tried hard to get some but could only get one trees worth. And that was from a public park in Liverpool. It's beautiful wood though.
-
During First Aid tests every other year, and keeping our grandchildren amused while I'm playing their patient with a broken arm.
-
Just Bloody Do It.
-
Infinity And Beyond.... Where all bog brushes go to die.
-
We wouldn't get our cleaner in there. She'd have a fit of the screaming habdabs. Well, if by pure luck we did manage it, we wouldn't be able to get her to turn round . She'd have to back out. Come think of it she'd have to back in. Know what I'm sayin' ?
-
External water tank
ToughButterCup replied to Pocster's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
External clear pipe with diagonal lines painted behind the pipe. Shows the meniscus clearly -
Nails and screws are both fine. I prefer screws because I make mistakes. And I am not in a rush. The stainless steel screws I use are cheaper than any carpenter. But still expensive.
