-
Posts
5693 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
16
Everything posted by MikeSharp01
-
Just started a self-build in Dorset. Exciting times!
MikeSharp01 replied to NailBiter's topic in Introduce Yourself
Yes this is what @TerryEdoes only using Willis heaters. His decrement delay, like yours & ours I suspect, is very low so it matters not that we don't run the thing full time and anyway at some point we will need to put some of the the output into the DHW - which is now going to be a UVC (or some such water filled device) because I cannot get happy, given discussions here and elsewhere, with the Sunamp unit I had originally thought I would use. Talking of DHW I have been wondering how best to control around that. We will have about 6kW of Solar so I am thinking I would want to top the UVC with that. Obviously the ASHP is the best thing to do that with, given the COP, so feed the ASHP with power from solar when the sun shines BUT once the ASHP reaches its max temperature switch over to the immersion heater fed by the Solar to give us some more stored energy. -
Just started a self-build in Dorset. Exciting times!
MikeSharp01 replied to NailBiter's topic in Introduce Yourself
Looking at our numbers and worrying about sizing our heatpump I cannot see a 5kW unit modulating down enough to manage a continuous delta of 5degC across our UFH a 3.5 kW might get close but is getting marginal on the DHW side of things. -
Just started a self-build in Dorset. Exciting times!
MikeSharp01 replied to NailBiter's topic in Introduce Yourself
Here is ours same basis - seems ok to me - its not a Passive house above 0.6 anyway. Pressurisation Test Result (ACH) Specific Space Heating Demand (kWh/m2a) Monthly Method - [Annual Method] 0.2 10.3 [10.9] 0.4 10.5 [11.1] 0.6 10.7 [11.3] 0.8 10.9 [11.6] 1.0 11.1 [11.8] 2.0 12.2 [13.0] -
Just started a self-build in Dorset. Exciting times!
MikeSharp01 replied to NailBiter's topic in Introduce Yourself
ooooops. -
Just started a self-build in Dorset. Exciting times!
MikeSharp01 replied to NailBiter's topic in Introduce Yourself
Absolutely - let's hope we here are not contributing too much - lets get back on topic - whatever that is given how far this one has wandered over 5+ pages.... Sorry @Nickfromwales -
Just started a self-build in Dorset. Exciting times!
MikeSharp01 replied to NailBiter's topic in Introduce Yourself
You could but you would soon either have it overwritten or asked to provide your evidence / citations/ references. I dimly recall it was compared with encyclopedia brittanica and its veracity score was similar. -
Washing machine in outbuilding - turned off
MikeSharp01 replied to AdamD's topic in Kitchen & Household Appliances
only going to cause condensation if the temperature varies wildly, if it is still in its packaging then even that shouldn't be a problem. -
Obviously you are not observing this meltdown at the speed of light that is happening among our elected representatives - perhaps it has not reached Cornwall yet, I mean it is light years from the center of power after all.
-
I guess it's all about how the contractor sees it. I have run the flow and return pipes (28mm), put in the ufh pipework, done the concrete base for the unit, pulled in a collection of cables and a few other bits. None of those quoting have said anything - while rubbing their hands with glee at less work for them to pay for.
-
Hello and welcome to THE forum for people like us Masood.
- 2 replies
-
- brickwork
- bricklaying
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Yep - I am reminded of my time at Marineville - commander Shaw would calmly announce over the base tannoy that "anything can happen in the next half hour."
-
Not the best Idea as you can claim the £7500 grant, you can still do some of the work, get the price down to the grant plus less than the unit will cost you, get it installed and commissioned for the cost of just the Heat Pump.
-
Interesting! Sounds like it must have something to do with the heat. Heat causes expansion so it may be that the lining, if there is one, is moving and exposing a leaky joint to a collection of water up the chimney or some such. Condensation is also a - does it ever stop if you ;eave the fire on for a long period and keep it in over night?
-
Network Switch & AP's
MikeSharp01 replied to richo106's topic in Networks, AV, Security & Automation
Yes my friend warned me of that as well. -
Network Switch & AP's
MikeSharp01 replied to richo106's topic in Networks, AV, Security & Automation
I have almost the same shopping list - same challenges. A friend of mine, ex CISCO, said I should get a secondhand CISCO POE switch as you can get them for next to nothing, £60 buys you 48 POE ports 1Gb each at Techbuyer. Might need an expert to set it up though. -
Welcome Jamie, I am sure there will be loads of ideas / support for a roof replacement. Just load them up and we can get you some answers / ideas.
-
Building Inspectors to become RBIs after the 6th April 2024!!!
MikeSharp01 replied to Marvin's topic in Building Regulations
Oh - OK that bad!!!!! -
Hi and welcome Angus. I like to think that I can either spend time saving money or spend money to save time. I don't like wet trades - brick laying / plastering neither do I have a head for heights. So although I built the roof structure I had the slating done by others. When it comes to the plastering I won't be doing that and I hate painting so that's a job for my partner in life who, although now in financial services, comes from a long line of painters & decorators! Everything else I am quite happy to do myself and so far have on our build except fit the windows which came as a package. I will do all the electrics under the watchful eye of my local electrician and the ASHP will be done by others under the grant scheme although I would have liked to do it myself it's actually cheaper to get in a third party if you are getting the grant.
-
Building Inspectors to become RBIs after the 6th April 2024!!!
MikeSharp01 replied to Marvin's topic in Building Regulations
Oh er - that bad! -
In roof panels leaking or condensation?
MikeSharp01 replied to CH_18's topic in Roofing, Tiling & Slating
This looks like condensation to me, so you must have dew point conditions around the in-roof GSE plastic formers - the fact that it is wet both sides supports this theory. So warmer damp air hits a cooler surface and condensation forms as the air goes through its dew point. Calculating dew point in the traditional way is a bit of a pain but in 2005 Mark Lawrence came up with a much simple calculation which gives a good approximation, above 50% Relative Humidity (RH) and not far out below. Td = T - ((100 - RH)/5.) you can read all about it here: https://climate.envsci.rutgers.edu/pdf/LawrenceRHdewpointBAMS.pdf. So you can then play with the numbers and get an impression for just when the condensation will happen. I created a simple spreadsheet to help me understand why I was getting vast quantities of condensation on the air tight membrane before the insulation was pumped in. So if the RH is 80% and your air temperature is 9oC and if your plastic unit is at 5oC you will get condensation by this calculation (and the full one). Your situation is all on the outside but it still means that at for every 5% RH drop from 100% the temperature delta increases by 1o C (at 100% the dewpoint is the temperature if you think about it!). You can look at this another way - how is it a problem? You get condensation in roof structures on the outside, the build up design is so arranged that when it happens it is dried out as soon as possible and is kept off the absorbent parts by the membrane. -
Microcontroller based power switching revisited in 2024
MikeSharp01 replied to TerryE's topic in Boffin's Corner
This is classic systems of systems (SoS) territory which tells us that we are involved with an SoS when any two of the systems in the putative SoS have managerial and operational independence. (Maier 1998) It means one of three things which have already been discussed - 1. You need to keep up or 2. Do it all yourself or 3. Some combination of both! I guess its about picking your battles as you cannot avoid it all. Silly little things like a company going bust or the main developer of a product loosing interest in it. No recourse to the developer is also an issue in SoS because most of us have no control of the developer / operator and they are always on the lookout for ways to monetize the offer. Twitter used to have a free API that let you read Tweets all day long - now its paid and rate limited. Most of us, including big corporations who rely on the technology of others are in the same boat we are - no recourse and with vastly expensive teams just keeping up. Even some 'open source' stuff has a no recourse philosophy - Tasmota has this risk, it says on their web site that "Tasmota is not a commercial product and support is limited. You have to be willing to research and solve potential problems yourself." So even there you are likely as not to have to make modifications that only you will be able to follow or you get involved with the development team to support your own ideas until life expires. Node-Red very clever but it's life is limited as is USB - how much do you rely on USB?. In any eco system there is a carrying capacity the system has and we can track it with the S curve and with the S curve, well when one technology looks to supersede another, comes the two opposing mentalities - the defender and the attacker. The defender thinks their technology is fine, that they can change quickly if something challenges, we know the competition and anyway who would challenge such a well found system - Bonkers. Meanwhile the attacker has a hill to climb to get the innovators and early adopters across onto the S curve they think can beat the status quo and make them rich. Knowing when to dump all your investment, and believe me investment challenges change - big time, in a technology and get with the new one is a fine art, fraught with risk - loads of new S curves go nowhere, and it can be expensive. Personally I am hoping to keep it basically bomb proof by avoiding as many bear traps as I can while being fully aware I cannot avoid still having enough of them to wipe out a lot of bears and have fun playing with ideas while my mind is up to it. So the wiring is all traditional everywhere and at the flick of a din mounted lever isolator you can switch out the computer and connect the switch directly to the lamp - yes you get full brightness but hey you don't need to maintain the DMX dimmer, the RPi server, the switch monitoring circuitry and host of other bits and pieces. I hope to use this approach everywhere I can - as an old friend - Bill, now departed, was fond of saying - 'Mike it's supposed to be F.U.N' lets just have fun. Maier, Mark W, Architecting principles for systems-of-systems, Systems Engineering Journal, 1998 -
We did it with 2 board scaffold both sides although to be fair we did agree with the footpaths officer to put 1 leg of the scaffold on the footpath in exchange for resurfacing the footpath - we still left it 2m wide.
