-
Posts
5693 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
16
Everything posted by MikeSharp01
-
Great idea I will divert the shower run off through our daughters bedroom - that is something of a s heap, she does not live here anymore but she us coming over to see her mum later maybe I can encourage her to tidy it up.
-
Not quite true. Our problem is that we would have to teach many (100s) of languages to speak to them in theirs while they only have to learn one. I think we have discussed this before but max bangs per buck would be chinese and urdu but we teach french, German and Spanish none of which alone help you speak to the others. So while we are the custodians of the global 'lingua franca' ( oh the irony) there is no incentive for us to learn languages en mass.
-
Hmmm not sure that is a PC view and besides you need quite some infrastructure around you, acceptable toilet facilities of your local standard probably being among them, to get the qualifications necessary to gain entry to your son's uni no matter where in the world you come from.
-
No not necessarily but a bathroom would be good.
-
Chilling!
-
If you felt it was going to pay for itself wouldn't the effort be worth it in the end? Or is the complexity just not worth it?
-
AS JSH SAYS @jack has a system and it has been discussed here a year + ago.
-
Clay sub soil drainage suggestions please
MikeSharp01 replied to readiescards's topic in Landscaping, Decking & Patios
Why is that a snag - do the locals like paddling -
PS what I meant to say was that the 8gb does give you more time between slugs!
- 84 replies
-
I have 8gb in my windows 7 machine and Firefox still gets it to 90% sometimes. I just use task manager to kill it and restore session brings it back to a reasonable 38%. Just why Firefox is so bad I have no idea but Chrome is not far behind sometimes. Autocad can be a slug as well though.
- 84 replies
-
This is the best I have found out there, when I come to replace mine in a year or so this is what I will get my hands on: https://www.jsp.co.uk/link/en/head-protection/evo-8-en14052-safety-helmets/evo-8-linesman-safety-helmet/evo-8-safety-helmet-linesman-orange/ahs240-000-800/p/?parm=CAT1JSP&prdcod=AHS240-000-800 I wear my hard hat all the time on site, after all it s what it says on the sign on the fence! Without it I feel naked now when working on site and I have had a couple of knocks (nothing dropping) that I would have known all about were it not for my hard hat. Also because I have one, and I keep a spare or two for the purpose, visitors all expect to wear one - which it says on the sign. I am not sure what my site insurance says but I suspect that not wearing the appropriate PPE might give them a let out!
-
Get a good hard hat with proper webbing and that fits well. Whatever you are doing you will be protected. You can get carbon fibre hard hats now that will see you (and me) out.
-
If you have the drafting skills you should be able to do this yourself realy. Provide you stick with the main planning shape and limitations if any (EG ridge height) you probably only need about 10 drawings. If you look at the JSHarris blog site he gives a check list for all to follow which worked for us other than needing a part R note as some hinge about the flammability of the outer skin.
-
Wales is down hill from there.
- 18 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- air tightness
- airtight
-
(and 3 more)
Tagged with:
-
Sadly, by the looks of it, good things only come to wealthy people who wait.
-
Air-tightness and wall plates (rim joists)
MikeSharp01 replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Roofing, Tiling & Slating
This will depend, one guesses, on where your air tight layer is. If on the inside of the Durasol and not including the roofspace then you might run the membrane under the roof joists, if above then the joists need to be included so you need to go around the ends but that also means a messy junction unless you go up and over the trusses with your air tight membrane. IIRC your internal floor / wall junction has something like it. I guess if you go this way then keeping the membrane out of harms way while the roof goes on. -
What makes you think they might know anything about garage floors? PS if you saw the BBC prog 'worlds most extraordinary homes' this week that Porsche collector's garage was the sort of thing everybody needs - amazing.
-
Very tidy work with the dpc, what is the tape you are using and is it double sealed along both edges or one double sided and the upper edge over taped? I guess there is a rising section of EPS in the centre to be fitted as well. Why were you not a fan of the tie wraps?
-
I believe that with the permission of your slab designer and BCO you can use plastic tie wraps. So much easier than wire tying. Although when you watch a pro doing wire tying they go so fast tie wraps would be much slower.
-
Timber frame passive standard build
MikeSharp01 replied to Scotrock's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
Those trims look realy good @Scotrock how did the joins work. Were they welded / lapped and sealed somehow or was the underlying geo membrane doing the waterproofing at the seams? -
Selfbuild, a new career pathway?
MikeSharp01 replied to epsilonGreedy's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
@Barney12 Agree - weird probably sums us up, Two things though. 1. "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has" Margaret Mead. 2. Perhaps we could extend this idea slightly. If we found a way to pool our expertise we might come up with a workable 'package' solution for factory built modules that would create affordable homes for the generation below us, our children, to live in sustainably. -
Hi and welcome to THE forum. Looks like an interesting project and the definition of self build on here is more than broad enough to encompass your combination of circumstance. Looking forward to hearing more.
-
How are your fellow plot holders getting on. Have any of them had this letter a few months back and if so what happened? That might tell you if the letter ever gets enforced or that are just pulling your chain.
-
Ours was £970 (+VAT) for 2 x 6m bores, lab sampling and report.
-
So this work is included in the price you pay, so it has to be clear so they can cost it? Have I got that right? If I have why not get MBC to give you a worst case loading and pass this through the process, you might have to pay a little more for the belt and braces foundation but the plot price won't need to be reworked.
