Temp
Members-
Posts
10690 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
43
Everything posted by Temp
-
Seems you can get ombined rainwater harvesting and attenuation tanks from 1500L upwards.. https://www.stormsaver.com/products/attenuation/stormsaver-combined-rainwater-harvesting-and-attenuation Or perhaps you just need a few crates and some pipe!.. https://www.stormsaver.com/products/attenuation/stormsaver-attenuation-crates
-
Is the stream 4m below the location of the hydro-brake? We have an underground rainwater storage tank made of fibreglass. I wonder if one of those could be used for the hydro-brake? Google 6000L underground rainwater tank. For those you need to dig a big hole and put concrete in the bottom to bolt the tank down to prevent it floating when empty. Then back fill.
-
Looks like two purlins one above the other? Are the joist hangers holding up the lower one or are the ends supported? Has the upper purlin been notched for the rafters or have the rafters been notched? Can't tell on my phone.
-
If the mould lines are very big I'd scrape them off but I've never bothered to roughen up the surfaces. Adhesive on both surfaces as ProDave said. Solvent welding isn't quite as bad as using contact adhesive. If you use enough adhesive there is time to twist a joint to get elbows to line up in the right plane.
-
Check the terms of the contract as sometimes full payment is the trigger point at which ownership is transferred. If that's the case I think the administrator should release them. Perhaps taking the administrator to the small claims court would get things moving?
- 14 replies
-
- 1
-
-
- administration
- finance
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Sometimes a brush with bristles cut short used in a hard stippling manner can help get bubbles out.
-
Would a reinforced raft foundation be an option?
-
Which kerbstones for driveway entrance flood prevention.
Temp replied to epsilonGreedy's topic in Driveways
+1 or perhaps a few rows of granite kerbs.. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253302807745 I'd also wait until the build is nearly finished. -
Two newbuilds and VAT claim
Temp replied to PWS's topic in Self Build VAT, Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL), S106 & Tax
That's very good news. Reading your story slowly I had a horrible feeling it wasn't going to end well but good to see HMRC taking a pragmatic approach. -
At very least I'd check it's getting electricity before thinking about replacing it. If it's really faulty I'd want to know what went wrong with it.
-
Charging points (rate of installation)
Temp replied to Temp's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
Many houses without off street parking could have a charger if they were allowed to run a cable across the pavement. Perhaps it should be Permitted Development to cut a channel across the pavement in which to lay and cover a charging cable? Would need some sort of standard design? -
Charging points (rate of installation)
Temp replied to Temp's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
About 7million houses. Although I wont cry too much. Most will be houses that are first in the queue for 5g and cable TV. Just for once there might be an advantage to living in the countryside ? -
Our BCO wanted the void vented despite there being no wooded joists to rot. We left it empty as we had run out of bodies that needed disposing of ?
-
According to a report in The Times we need to instal 2300 charging points a day every day until 2050 to meet our climate change target. Is this realistic? How many smart meters a day have been installed?
-
Our QS was within £1,000 of the cheapest sealed bid. One other bid was close, and two more were 10-15% higher. These were bids from prime contractors.
-
Is this the most bonkers bit of building you ever saw?
Temp replied to MikeSharp01's topic in General Construction Issues
When I was looking for a plot I stopped outside any nice looking houses I saw under construction to speak to the builder. I was amazed how many were happy to show me around before they had covered up their appalling workmanship. Either they didn't know it was bad or they didn't think I would know what I was looking at. I remember one in particular opened a cupboard door to show me an UFH manifold that had just been installed and it was a right mess. They always gave me a business card but quite a few went in the skip as I walked off site. Tip for anyone looking to choose a builder... Most will offer to take you to house they have built for someone but it's far better to see one they currently have under construction if you can. -
Inheritance Tax Planning
Temp replied to Triassic's topic in Self Build VAT, Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL), S106 & Tax
If you leave a house to you children there is the "new" allowance... https://www.which.co.uk/money/tax/inheritance-tax/inheritance-tax-property-changes-asy688s1j5zj -
It's the system pressure you are measuring. There should be a pressure relief valve (PRV) that opens when the pressure gets too high. It should discharge into a tundish (so you can see and hear if it opens) then to the outside of the house. I think our last house had a PRV set to 4 bar but it's a long time ago.
-
Reusing planning drawings without permission
Temp replied to willbish's topic in Planning Permission
It's amazing what goes on on the planning portal sometimes. A few years ago an application for a wind farm went in a few miles from us. Many people wrote to object but we were surprised to see that one of the land owners that had and would benefit financially by having turbines on his land had written to object. His letter was online for a week or so before the energy co spotted it an wrote to him to remind him that he had been given an initial sweetner of £50-£60k and signed a contract to say he wouldn't object to the application on his land. He then had to try and get his objection removed which he did by writing to the planners and those letters also got posted online for awhile. Eventually his letter and the follow ups somehow got removed but not before the "action group" had made copies. -
At least it could easily be removed, unlike the stuff some people put on the outside in the 1980s...
-
Over the past few years I've had several occasions to use Polyurethane adhesives like TigerSeal etc. Every time I need a small quantity I have to buy a £6-£8 tube for a gun and 90% ends up wasted as it goes off in the tube (despite attempts to seal the tube). So anyone know if it's possible to get small tubes?
-
Lot of work cutting bricks. I'd pay out for slips. Lots available.. https://www.wienerberger.co.uk/products/brick/brick-slips.html https://brickslips.co.uk/ http://www.matclad.co.uk/brick-slips Check if you need any corner or special shapes as they can be more expensive.
-
Their Instagram page says Trimdek is indeed metal sheeting.
-
Perhaps they just had a load of offcuts left over and an apprentice carpenter needing a job :-)
