opinions on this workmanship please

The attached photos are of a ground floor bathroom that is being converted into a fully tiled wet room for a disabled child.

It has been totally stripped back to bare (block) walls. The ceiling is to be overboarded.  The whole floor has been dug out several inches and had some sort of screed laid and a pump for drainage.

IMHO the quality of the work is awful.  This is being funded by a grant and is being done by contractors appointed by the local authority (child is long term foster), the property is owned by the foster carer. A full schedule of works was provided to the property owner but seems contractors have not read it.....the ceiling over boarding has been done once all wall tiling complete....plastering of ceiling now being done after 2nd fix, window reveals not boarded or tiled as yet but the rest of the room already grouted.  The non slip floor is rucked, it is not bonded to the wall and watertight, the drain is a mess, no extractor fitted....yet....sanitary ware fixed lop sided, shower valve not straight, odd pipe jutting out of wall at floor level, tiles and waterproof floor cut around it....hopefully pics show all this.

The plasterer is due to plaster ceiling tomorrow and contractors finishing off tomorrow too.  I have said do not allow any more work without boss coming out to look and also advise people paying the bill of the mess. It cant meet  building regs never mind be safe for the child not to mention the quality of the work could devalue the property.

Meantime poor disabled child is suffering.

Your opinions on this work would be very much appreciated.....sorry if pics not in order of work.

82DBB701-71AE-41FB-86E5-00E8FF7D7B79.jpeg

67D5AE12-F8C5-471C-A49D-7EA1B9B6DD1D.jpeg

46395995-BC0D-48F3-883C-CB75C9F3A434.jpeg

C2D394C0-5821-4C0D-9055-CAB884AF4B92.jpeg

0D17E547-59C5-4E9E-8DF4-3FAA26E3F8A1.jpeg

850E5D33-F495-4D34-A0E6-B75C705F87D2.jpeg

5446B6AC-9D4C-4FF1-9A33-DC04B81322E6.jpeg

5678A0EE-7AED-4B98-AF44-61CDE40BF554.jpeg

526A682D-B28D-48D2-AA69-A1881BEB796B.jpeg

A6764631-3B56-4157-902C-234B1047CCC4.jpeg

2DC1AD52-0429-4E8C-9298-8EDE6FFCF9D4.jpeg

B63F8680-FCB8-4A74-866E-B981D073CF79.jpeg

EE73AA3B-0567-4195-B411-DF47B17A1EC6.jpeg

92DC25B2-A35D-4177-86A3-9CB4F704CDFB.jpeg

Edited by lizzie

Appalling. 

That floor is going to leak like a sieve causing all manor of problems. 

Terrible situation but I would asking the contractor to leave site immediately and get the council involved. 

If they don’t help to remedy then I’d be getting the local media involved. The local papers will love that story!

Sad state of affairs. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Christ on a bike! Makes me look professional!  

You sure?

This is bloody awful. What do these people think when they leave a job like this? 

• Thanks 1

I have been working with a joiner like that. Embarasing. His work is rubbish. I would not recommend him to anyone. But he keeps giving me work so I do it, even though it is embarasing to be associated with him.

Definitely involve the council, they are oaying for it, they deserve to get better.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, jack said:

You sure?

This is bloody awful. What do these people think when they leave a job like this? 

I'm sure as in my amateurish attempts at a bathroom refurb are light years ahead of this debacle. 

Still, guarantees they get loads of rectification works...probably their own. 

I always find it strange, different perceptions of "quality" and what some so called professionals offer up.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Definitely involve the council, they are oaying for it, they deserve to get better.

I think that should read "we deserve to get better" as ultimately its our council taxes that are paying for this rubbish.

Personally, I would be embarrassed doing something like that, particularly considering the person it is being done for.

• Thanks 1

Sadly this is not untypical of the sort of really awful work that gets done when there is grant funding available.  Many local authorities have dispensed with their Clerk of Works in the cuts, so contractors know full well that there isn't likely to be  anyone judging their workmanship. 

First step is to send those photo's to the person in the Local Authority who is authorising the work, and at the same time requesting a stop on all further work until such time as the existing work has been independently inspected.  If that fails to produce a satisfactory outcome then I'd take the images and story to the local media, as they will relish publishing it, I'm sure, and there is a fair chance that it might get picked up by national media.  Either way I'm certain that the local authority would be forced to act quickly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I'm sure as in my amateurish attempts at a bathroom refurb are light years ahead of this debacle. 

Of course it is - it was just a poor attempt at humour from me!

• Haha 1

wow that is absolutely horrific, having completed lots of adaptations for the local council i always tried my best to get the job completed quickly and always left a good job, as there was always someone that was wanting to get home, i hope for all involved that the council take action against the contractor and get that redone quickly

17 hours ago, lizzie said:

Your opinions on this work would be very much appreciated.....sorry if pics not in order of work.

Terrible. From what I can see the tiling looks to be the best thing.

The waste pipe behind the floor covering and the little sliver of flooring is bad bad bad - looks like the ceiling is not flat - for the sake of a ripped down batten the ceiling could have been over-boarded level, the tile pieces get bigger over towards the right and would do my head in. Plasterboard is a bit sparse on screws. Floor to tile mating is messy looking with little care for a good intersection of materials. 

There is clearly a bad case of don'tgiveafeckitis here. 

I am not sure how many trades were involved but really it looks like there was no schedule or it was compromised and ended up in the wrong order, plumbing/electrical first fix, then framing and boarding, possibly a bit more first fix to core for lighting and vents in ceiling, then paint the ceiling, then install vents and lighting then a careful program between flooring contractor and tiler to work out best way round depending on various details. Then plumber and electric second fix - then someone ought to take responsibility for pulling it all together making sure everything is neat and properly cleaned up.

I would complain to whoever it is that is paying out and have them withhold funds. 

Edited by Carrerahill

It is quite poor. Nobody has done a decent job and it has not been managed properly. Not sure of the tanking design and junction detailing if this is supposed to be a wetroom. If they can't say I would take the tiling off.

When I have tiling done the tiler is responsible to clean grout and polish tiles.

I don't know how the floor drain works or if there is something else to go over it?  I imagine the stub of waste pipe is behind the sink? I would want flooring replaced but please do it after the ceiling is plastered and painted and the extract hole done.

Bodgetastic but it really did not need to be.

Well the boss man finally surfaced after I think a fairly sharp contact from the council.  He has been round this afternoon and professed himself shocked.....mmmmm.  Its all going to be redone/rectified apparently.

That stub of pipe is not under the basin its in the middle of the wet area wall.....the mind boggles! There were a lot more issues but I didn't want to bore with too many pics.

See what happens next.  It is truly awful that these council appointed contractors think they can get away with such terrible work. No shame at all.......I thought bodgit and scarper only worked for unsuspecting self builders now we know their cousins are alive and well and working for the council doing disabled facilities.  You couldn't make it up!

@Onoff if they dont get it right next time maybe you would like a shot at it!

All your input helped the lady homeowner stand her ground and not be intimidated by bodger the builder, thank you.

• Like 2

Imo they've even scrimped on the plasterboard screws. Should be about 150mm max spacing I think.

Guessing they didn't tank the walls and floor...

Must get back to mine! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

I don't know how the floor drain works or if there is something else to go over it? 

the middle of the waste comes out and the flooring goes into the trap then a cover plate is screwed over the top and sandwiches the flooring in place, they can be a bit tricky and you need someone fitting the flooring who isnt useless 9_9  https://www.google.com/search?q=akw+medicare+waste&rlz=1C1NHXL_en-gbGB781GB782&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiy4a7ssMLiAhWQVxUIHV3RBooQ_AUIDygC&biw=1920&bih=937#imgrc=q5pD-fCJ-EThrM:

• Thanks 1