readiescards

PIR light coming on in bright sunshine

Got some fairly cheap PIR security lights around my house. The older ones are now starting to come on whenever they detect motion even if it is a bright sunny day. They worked fine for 18 months or so.

Fiddling with the settings seems to have little impact, though can't be 100% sure I fiddled all the options.

Does the ambient light sensor drift over time normally?

It is not a major issue just a bit odd

20190512_111206.jpg

Ive got some less than 12 months old and not cheap and this last week they are doing the same thing .....very annoying ...... I have not fiddled with settings, they dont do it every day just some days.

Would like to know solutions for this. I noticed one of mine has a cracked plastic layer over the sensor, and some of the plastic has dropped out. I would've thought this increases the sensitivity?

Ive read that some PIR have a test or walk mode that allows them to be set up in daylight. Apparently a power cut can sometimes put them into test mode and some fiddling with the switch is needed to get back to normal mode.

Missing lenses might let spiders in, blocking light to the sensor?

Any dirt on the photo cell will also alter the trigger point making them switch on earlier/off later or stay enabled all day. Might just need to readjust or clean the photo cell.

Edited by Temp

I was going to suggest the "test mode"

Try turning the power off, waiting a good couple of minutes then turning it back on. That should restore normal mode.

• Like 1