Garage Doors

Auchlossen

Just trying to sort out garage door.

I am looking for Sectional door, ie upward sliding sections, motorised, for opening 4.5m x 2140, mid-rib style in RAL3011.

I think it is useful to have a 'woodgrain' or otherwise rippled surface, to show less marks.

I am trying to get prices for doors by:

• Hormann
  1. Novoferm
    1. Ryterna
    2. Seceuroglide

Is there any difference in quality between these products?

Any experience on price?

Do local supply/fix firms give better fix with better discount?

We've just had a 4.2m wide Novoferm electric sectional door (40mm insulated) in RAL7016 supplied and installed for £1,850 (no VAT). Seems pretty good so far. We went for the smooth finish rather than grained but don't think that affects the price. We used their local dealer in Southampton.

• 2 months later...

We got two Hormann doors (and a side door) for our garage, one electric and one manual. Was pleased with the quality of the doors and the installation. Was not much between that and Ryterna.

Can share the firm on PM, midlands based but came to Berkshire. Also did my passive front door.

• Like 1

I think I know who bitpipe is referring to. I have spoken to them this week and they are cheaper than my local firms and were very quick to respond. They aren't far away from me and I will be speaking to them about the RK entrance doors they sell too.

I was quoted for supply/fit similar size hormann sectional door t rib with stainless steel inserts

11 hours ago, Roger440 said:

I used the Ryterna option. Apart from the insulation not really being as quoted, the rest of it was pretty good.

Hi Roger,

Was the insulation not up to what you wanted?

Vijay

• Like 1

They claim its 40mm insulated, but a good portion of it had nothing but fresh air between the inner and outer layers. Like a big rectangle in the area below the window. the clue was that at night the light was faintly visible. And on a cold morning you could see by how the condensation formed which part was insulated and which wasn't. Despite repeated attempts, they bascially ignored me!

Guest Alphonsox

Nor sure its of interest to the OP but different door systems have different wind loading factors, Worth checking if you're in an exposed area. 

Standard Hormann are Class-3, We ended up specing Class-5 units after a minor hurricane.

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 15:28, Roger440 said:

They claim its 40mm insulated, but a good portion of it had nothing but fresh air between the inner and outer layers. Like a big rectangle in the area below the window. the clue was that at night the light was faintly visible. And on a cold morning you could see by how the condensation formed which part was insulated and which wasn't. Despite repeated attempts, they bascially ignored me!

The fact they have ignored you and your issue would bug the hell out of me!!  Have you thought abouts small claims court?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vijay said:

The fact they have ignored you and your issue would bug the hell out of me!!  Have you thought abouts small claims court?

My life is too short for that. 80 hours a week running your own buisness at work leaves little time to clutter up my mind with things that will make my angry.

I bought another house instead! Problem fixed.

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, readiescards said:

Novoferm and Garador - are they the same firm?

Seem to be offering the same product.  

Currently considering the iso45mm, steel, insulated, sectional up and over, RAL 1015, wood grain.

Garador are owned my Hormann

I don't believe their is a link between Novoferm or Garador/Hormann, certainly not at a company/corporate level. 

• Like 1

On 06/11/2016 at 18:55, Alphonsox said:

Nor sure its of interest to the OP but different door systems have different wind loading factors, Worth checking if you're in an exposed area. 

Standard Hormann are Class-3, We ended up specing Class-5 units after a minor hurricane.

Did you decide to up spec or did Hormann recommend the up spec? How did you decide on Class-5 rather than Class-4?

Guest Alphonsox

We didn't go for Hormann eventually - We used a local Northern Ireland company called Tilt-a-dor (great service, recommended). Their sectional doors are class-5 by default due to the local wind conditions. Class-3 was a lower priced option but not recommended. I'm very pleased with the end result.

Edited by Alphonsox
Image deleted due to copyright issues

1 hour ago, Grosey said:

Just bought a 14ft x 7ft Hormann L Rib sectional insulated 42mm door in Anthracite including fitting, for £1750 ex VAT. 

Do you chat with your reseller about wind loading, my reseller's can't tell me if wind loading 3 is acceptable for my very open and exposed (and windy at times).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Trying to understand the differences between Garador and Novoferm and the claimed thermal efficient seem hugely different:

* Novoferm: the 45mm thick PUR rigid foam sectional doors have a claimed K value of 0.5W/m2k 

* Gardor: 42 mm thick double-skin steel section is evenly filled with 100% CFC-free PU rigid foam and a seal between each section: U value of 1.5W

Is a K value different to a U value? Can a extra 3mm of foam really make such a difference?

No ... the K value is the thermal conductivity of the material in question usually stated for a given thickness, the U value is the calculated thermal conductivity for that thickness in the design. 

So a Novoferm door at 45mm thick is around the same as the Garador when you calculate it out.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 29/11/2016 at 07:29, Alphonsox said:

We didn't go for Hormann eventually - We used a local Northern Ireland company called Tilt-a-dor (great service, recommended). Their sectional doors are class-5 by default due to the local wind conditions. Class-3 was a lower priced option but not recommended. I'm very pleased with the end result.

garage2.jpg

Great looking doors, could you pm me cost if you remember? We where looking at garage door systems in ballymena, only company so far we've spoken to.

i'm debating insulated door as it's a detached garage and not insulated 

33 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

Great looking doors, could you pm me cost if you remember? We where looking at garage door systems in ballymena, only company so far we've spoken to.

i'm debating insulated door as it's a detached garage and not insulated 

I have some recent pricing for a 2250 x 2250 sectional door:-

Garage Door Systems 

Duratherm Sectional Door

M.Ribbed Style finish

Standard  colour

Would start around:                                       £918 - £978 + vat

Motor to suit would be an additional      £339 + vat

Tilt-A-Dor

Black insulated sectional door £970 + VAT
Motor to automate the door £300 + VAT
This price includes fitting and installation