Nail sealing foam strip

Russell griffiths

If i was that worried i would use sealer under baton as I nailed  ,

got to be cheaper and will seal for sure

think your over thinking it -

-water ,if there is any and its a sloping roof and a ventilated space ,

has to get all the way through your baton to even get close to a hole ? which is filled with a fixing and  the membrane  is under compression from baton .

quite sure  will work fine  till your in the grave .

my roof on present house has horizontal batons on top of tar paper ,as they did  in the past 

i can see the plywood inside the roof from loft.

not just nailed to trusses as they are big ones and well spaced 

can see nails coming through plywood sarking  and no sign of corrosion --so must be no water  getting through 

Edited by scottishjohn

Just added up all my batten length and it looks like I would need 700m @£1.20 a m 

i think i will put a line  of cheap pu adhesive under them. 

Can get boxes of 12 tubes for £3.30 a tube. 

Belt n braces I think. 

Probably over doing it, but I do intend being buried in the back garden when I go so don’t want to be looking at a leaky roof as I lay in my box. 

31 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Just added up all my batten length and it looks like I would need 700m @£1.20 a m 

i think i will put a line  of cheap pu adhesive under them. 

Belt n braces I think. 

Probably over doing it, but I do intend being buried in the back garden when I go so don’t want to be looking at a leaky roof as I lay in my box. 

12tubes!!!! ---just wee squeak that all it  will need -should not come out side of baton

so you going to build an ICF crypt as well? .lol

or is it a viking funeral 

Edited by scottishjohn

Not worried about battens coming loose @Mr Punter will all be screwed down. Roof is metal sheets with a 50mm breather gap @ProDave even with a breather gap I’m anticipating a bit of condensation on the back of the sheets, which will drip onto my membrane, so I’m trying to put the best most watertight membrane on I can, the Swiss manufacturers recommend a nail strip under the counter batten, it is probably over kill

but I would kick myself for scrimping on a detail  and then have problems 

i would rather leave out a fancy tap in the kitchen to build a better roof. 

19 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Not worried about battens coming loose @Mr Punter will all be screwed down. Roof is metal sheets with a 50mm breather gap @ProDave even with a breather gap I’m anticipating a bit of condensation on the back of the sheets, which will drip onto my membrane, so I’m trying to put the best most watertight membrane on I can, the Swiss manufacturers recommend a nail strip under the counter batten, it is probably over kill

but I would kick myself for scrimping on a detail  and then have problems 

i would rather leave out a fancy tap in the kitchen to build a better roof. 

here is a reasonable priced tape 

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/product/novia-double-sided-butyl-tape-30mm-x-30m.html

If you want to tape it

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

think i will put a line  of cheap pu adhesive under them. 

AC50 12 for £22.90 inc vat

https://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect.co.uk/silicones_and_sealants/intumescent_fire_and_acoustic_sealants/everbuild_everflex_ac50_acoustic_sealant_adhesive_c4_380ml_box_12_P23506.html

1 hour ago, A_L said:

AC50 12 for £22.90 inc vat

Great stuff for what it’s designed for, I have used a lot of this round all my plasterboard joints and all wall and ceiling joints but I don’t think it would be good for this job, it sets a bit ridged - yes it’s “permanently flexible” but you want something more rubbery in texture I think...... a silicon like ct1 in texture but cheep as chips. I got a bunch of this stuff for nothing as it was out of date and it’s been great for putting between wood joints to act as an air seal. Again this is not made for this but it does stay really rubbery / flexible. 

9D1996E6-B046-4EA1-BF0E-8362D52394ED.jpeg

4 hours ago, Cpd said:

I got a bunch of this stuff for nothing as it was out of date and it’s been great for putting between wood joints to act as an air seal.

I had the opportunity to get hold of some out of date Dow stuff but never bothered. Was told it won't set?

10 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Morning all

it has been suggested to me that under my counter batten I fit a foam strip to protect against any water penetration around nail and screw fixing holes. 

Having found some eye watering products I wondered if anybody has used anything cheaper. 

Ta. 

I think that would be overkill Russ

If you look at some of the old houses that have stayed dry for decades Without felt or membranes 

Most of the roofs on here would probably be fine without slates or tiles 

Ive used automotive double side foam tape for years, once on its waterproof and something like this could work as a nailing strip plus reasonable in 50 meter lengths.

Used to get it from tapes direct , looks like they have changed/sold/bust , so found this supplier. The width I've used was 50 or 60mm but haves seen lots of different widths.

https://www.psasolutions.uk.com/product/19mm-x-50-metre-automotive-double-sided-polyethylene-foam-tape

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, nickw said:

Ive used automotive double side foam tape for years, once on its waterproof and something like this could work as a nailing strip plus reasonable in 50 meter lengths.

Used to get it from tapes direct , looks like they have changed/sold/bust , so found this supplier. The width I've used was 50 or 60mm but haves seen lots of different widths.

https://www.psasolutions.uk.com/product/19mm-x-50-metre-automotive-double-sided-polyethylene-foam-tape

That’s a better price. ??