Best White Silicon?

Onoff

I have it on excellent authority from our resident Welsh plumber that white CT1 goes yellow after a while- so for aesthetic reasons he suggests using clear CT1 with a white silicon over the top if necessary.

Btw I used Forever White myself and am perfectly happy with it, but time will tell...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamiehamy said:

What's the difference between sanitary silicon and CT1? I'll never use anything else now, sets very solid and takes bleach like a hero! Do you want best look or function? 

43 minutes ago, Crofter said:

I have it on excellent authority from our resident Welsh plumber that white CT1 goes yellow after a while- so for aesthetic reasons he suggests using clear CT1 with a white silicon over the top if necessary.

Btw I used Forever White myself and am perfectly happy with it, but time will tell...

I want least revisiting!

I spoke to Kevin at C-Tec, the CT1 distributor who's been v.helpful on a number of queries. He said the "yellowing" of white CT1 is known but it comes off easy enough with a quick bleaching. Can't remember the exact reason beind the yellowing.

Interesting about the bleach as here it suggests only a moderate resistance to chlorine:

ct1_product_info_sheet_10-03-2015.pdf

5 minutes ago, jamiehamy said:

I was actually going to add that ours goes back to white with a spray of Flash with bleach. Barely needs scrubbed, but yes, it does yellow ever so slightly.

How quick does it go yellow between bleaching?

A few months? Even then it's hard to notice. I'm referring to our shower tray, which gets daily use, other areas I have used have never been bleached and have been down for a year. I'll try get some pics tonight if my brain remembers! 

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Just looking for people's thoughts / experiences on the "best" white sanitary silicon. Forever White seems to come up a lot.

Cheers.

Only one

FOREVER WHITE

Does what it says on the tin

(Tube) 

For anybody who cares, it's:

Silicone: the rubbery stuff.

Silicon: the hard crystalline semiconducting element.

Silicone is made up of silicon, oxygen and other chemicals in much the way rubber is made of carbon, oxygen and other chemicals. Sand is also made up of mostly silicon and oxygen though with less other chemicals and in a rather different structure.

So it's silicon chips but silicone tits.

A few years ago I bought some 3M “silicone carbide” sandpaper from a box store. Only noticed when I got home but happened to have a beer that evening with a recently retired fairly senior 3M manager so mentioned this, wondering if it was counterfeit or whatever. He popped off an email to his ex-colleague, the head of consumer products, who checked up and found that, yes, embarrassingly 3M had got the spelling wrong themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

You might struggle to find anyone who does! :)

The generic term working with a bunch Kiwis was "sealastic" for anything that came out of tube like this. 

I don’t use CT1 for final / cosmetic sealing because IT IS AN ABSOLUTE FECKING PIG to work with. It really is horrible. 

Great for purpose, but just SO much hard work getting anything less than a small bead. 

Silicone is great for cosmetic stuff, and is easily removed when tired so can be redone with ease. Try that with CT1 at your peril. 

Anything with microban in it for ‘no black crap’ is a winner. Silicone cleans up easily too and is quite a bit cheaper.

11 hours ago, Ed Davies said:

Silicone: the rubbery stuff.

Silicon: the hard crystalline semiconducting element.

Silicone is made up of silicon, oxygen and other chemicals in much the way rubber is made of carbon, oxygen and other chemicals. Sand is also made up of mostly silicon and oxygen though with less other chemicals and in a rather different structure.

So it's silicon chips but silicone tits.

A few years ago I bought some 3M “silicone carbide” sandpaper from a box store. Only noticed when I got home but happened to have a beer that evening with a recently retired fairly senior 3M manager so mentioned this, wondering if it was counterfeit or whatever. He popped off an email to his ex-colleague, the head of consumer products, who checked up and found that, yes, embarrassingly 3M had got the spelling wrong themselves.

My god how the other half live!

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/01/2019 at 07:22, Crofter said:

Our CT1 went yellow after a few months so I was a little disappointed.  I shall try a bit of bleach on it to see if it improves. 

We are starting to renovate the en-suite so will try out the Forever White stuff.

• 4 years later...
On 04/01/2019 at 20:48, Nickfromwales said:

I don’t use CT1 for final / cosmetic sealing because IT IS AN ABSOLUTE FECKING PIG to work with. It really is horrible. 

Great for purpose, but just SO much hard work getting anything less than a small bead. 

Silicone is great for cosmetic stuff, and is easily removed when tired so can be redone with ease. Try that with CT1 at your peril. 

Anything with microban in it for ‘no black crap’ is a winner. Silicone cleans up easily too and is quite a bit cheaper.

I was going to use CT1 Clear to seal some potential sources of water ingress at the top of a parapet wall and also a small gap between some brickwork and and a window frame. I'm a complete novice working when it comes to working with these types of materials, so I thought clear would be better as it would hide my messiness better, and I can use the same product in multiple areas, rather than get different colours.

But your comment @Nickfromwales concerns me slightly. Is it that hard to work with CT1?

Other concern is whether the CT1 will cure quickly enough. Temperatures are not very high at the moment, even in the South.

I used black CT1 recently in cold conditions, I didn’t find it difficult to use but sticks like sh1t to anything (including skin and difficult to remove, I used foam gun cleaner ). So don’t be over enthusiastic with it, I do get the theory about clear being better (as you can’t see cock ups ).

On 04/01/2019 at 07:22, Crofter said:

yeah I found this too, very annoying. Everbuild Stixall is a good swap out and is bang on! That’s my recommendation, it’s a hybrid adhesive/sealant and is overpaintable should you need to