Oak Staircase Prices?

iSelfBuild

1 hour ago, RandAbuild said:

We used Wooden Stairs - details are here http://woodenstairs.co.uk/testimonials/richard-northampton/

We wanted a contemporary look without newels. Quite pricey but we are very pleased with the results.

A fantastic finish. Plastering looks nice and flat too. Looking at the walk through I assume they did the survey and install as second fix after decoration?  Are we allowed to know the cost?

On 21/01/2019 at 17:36, iSelfBuild said:

One of my suppliers in Eastern Europe helped me out and passed me someone they use locally and it has smashed stairbox out of the water. There is no denying, a cut string is a mega expensive feature but it's what SWAMBO wants.

@iSelfBuild Can you share the supplier? We're after a modern cut string and I think stair box was the cheapest we have found so far. 

How many of you have finished your oak staircase yourselves and what did you use? Someone mentioned osmo oil or would hard wax be better? Want it to look right and I remember oiling doors in our last house and was never really happy with them, felt like it wasn’t easy to coat it evenly some parts looked oilier than others! Is it better to brush on or use lint free cloths?

I used Osmo on our oak doors, frames, architrave, skirtings and stairs and we're happy with it.  I brushed it on, and found that it was quite hard work brushing out the first coat into every nook and cranny, and easy to miss a bit.  Once the first coat had hardened I de-nibbed it with a green Scotchbrite pad and applied the next coat, which went on a great deal more easily.  We opted to use the satin finish, and it seems reasonably even and is wearing very well on the stairs.

• Thanks 1

My price includes osmo oil so just realised it's an even bigger saving. How much do companies usually charge for that on a stair case. We need to eventually treat the 3 feature oak trusses to match the windows and stairs... not looking forward to it and I quite like the natural look!

20190104_182442.thumb.jpg.4af4dcf58eb9c04f97dfde9988bd1206.jpg?

17757110_1653230311363708_73303550674932

• Like 1

I originally was going to get the manufacturer to finish the staircase and newels but as this staircase saga went on for 5 months due to a mistake on the architects part(which he eventually had to cough up an extra £1200) we were getting short of cash so decided not to have it done, they wanted £100 plus vat

Just now, Christine Walker said:

I originally was going to get the manufacturer to finish the staircase and newels but as this staircase saga went on for 5 months due to a mistake on the architects part(which he eventually had to cough up an extra £1200) we were getting short of cash so decided not to have it done, they wanted £100 plus vat

That's pretty reasonable actually! Ahhh architects... I am shocked how few these days even bother with a window schedule. Flat out refuse to supply me one so I have to scale off the drawings which of course we all know have their little disclaimer about not scaling off the drawings. Madness! 

We’ve had the same with the glass for the staircase, company supplying it were our and measured up but would take no responsibility for sizes , we had to sign it off as being correct, everything else windows etc were supplied with the kit so no problems there! Ah I see I made a typo ?it was £1000 plus vat!

Edited by Christine Walker

On 23/01/2019 at 22:20, Christine Walker said:

We’ve had the same with the glass for the staircase, company supplying it were our and measured up but would take no responsibility for sizes , we had to sign it off as being correct, everything else windows etc were supplied with the kit so no problems there! Ah I see I made a typo ?it was £1000 plus vat!

£1000.00 ?

I have decided on a clear coat lacquer, I prefer the natural colour. Our windows are borderline too orange coloured for my liking. 

Edited by iSelfBuild
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 16/12/2018 at 21:13, iSelfBuild said:

Can anyone recommend an oak staircase supplier?

Just had one designed by a company I use in Estonia and my eyes are watering! Thought it might be better to source one in the UK due to transport costs.

I'm sure I remember @JSHarris saying he had a contact for someone who uses CNC but I may have dreamt it! 

We are currently looking for an Oak staircase for a new project (need it in about 2 months),  have used mrstairs before and it seems they are still coming out cheaper than others for the design we need (half turn).

Just out of curiosity what was the price difference from Estonia compared with the UK? Only issue I can imagine as you said is transporting such a large staircase over.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/05/2019 at 11:29, Howard B said:

We are currently looking for an Oak staircase for a new project (need it in about 2 months),  have used mrstairs before and it seems they are still coming out cheaper than others for the design we need (half turn).

Just out of curiosity what was the price difference from Estonia compared with the UK? Only issue I can imagine as you said is transporting such a large staircase over.

I am in a similar position will be looking into stairs (quarter turn) soon for a little project, thinking about full Oak or Oak with glass. Have often thought about sourcing materials from abroad, however was not sure if it would be worth it after factoring delivery costs. Be interested to see the actual price difference.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...