No deal Brexit impact

gc100

Just now, Mr Punter said:

My son is getting a deer this week with the intention of butchering it himself and having it for Xmas dinner.  Very odd imo.  I have been sworn not to call it Bambi in front of his wife & children.

Much leaner and Juicer than beef. 

I'm picking up my ox-tongue later today.

6 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

My son is getting a deer this week with the intention of butchering it himself and having it for Xmas dinner.  Very odd imo.  I have been sworn not to call it Bambi in front of his wife & children.

Do you get the eye?

You have a moral duty to tell the children the "What do you call a blind deer?" quip, flourishing the eye. (No idea).

Followed by the "What do you call a blind deer with no legs", flourishing the leg. (Still no idea).

(Gets coat)

Just now, Mr Punter said:

The online videos just do not prepare you for the scale of the job, especially with a red.  At the moment it's stupidly cheap to buy a carcass from the estates, around £40 for a hind. They've not had many people paying to go on shoots and they still need to cull. 

Just now, Ralph said:

The online videos just do not prepare you for the scale of the job, especially with a red.  At the moment it's stupidly cheap to buy a carcass from the estates, around £40 for a hind. They've not had many people paying to go on shoots and they still need to cull. 

Apparently it arrives without head or skin.  He is planning on butchering it at his friends house.  All a bit homoerotic.  I hope they keep their shirts on.

1 minute ago, Mr Punter said:

Apparently it arrives without head or skin.  He is planning on butchering it at his friends house.  All a bit homoerotic.  I hope they keep their shirts on.

Thanks, just choked on my coffee reading that one. 

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

One reason they put it in Thanet is the light level - apparently here in the Midlands I get 20% less

I would be surprised if it that different, but it does depend what is measured, power or energy.

also some plants don't need maximum light levels, think of forest fruits.

the Netherlands has a dryer, and colder climate than us, but not by much. It is similar to Easy Anglia.

It is well irrigated these days, unlikely the UK. It is easier to manage a smaller area after all. They also benefit from neighbouring countries supplying cheao, off peak, power.

And they have a large petrochemical industry, so easy fertilisers.

And they had the Hongerwinter, where they were purposely starved.

Edited by SteamyTea

6 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

He is an engineer.  I have no idea why he took this on.

12 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Lets hope your lad is a medical student then -  or has worked his way up from frogs to rabbits, to foxes and sheep .... 

The job is not  easy.

Once it's been gralloched and skinned it's easier but it's still a lot of work. You should also tell him to look up warbles and not to panic if he sees them.?

I just bought my sausages, and ox-tongue, from the farm shop. Whilst we were all queueing, a chap walked past and into the back with a pig over his shoulder.

Lady at the back of the socially distanced queue outside asked the chap "Are there any tomato sausages in the shop?"

"There will be by the time you reach the front of that queue." 

Quite sharp  ?

Impact of Brexit on exports to Ireland...

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1183380/

"Irish consumers make 70% of their online purchases from the UK"

"If goods are valued at more than €150, consumers will face not only VAT but also customs duty. The charges will either be applied by the retailer selling the goods, or by authorities here on arrival."

"..Revenue has pointed out that it has no way of knowing whether consumers will continue to buy from the UK in such numbers when additional charges begin to apply."

"Revenue gives an example of an item priced at €167, it will be subject to customs duty of €20.04 and VAT at €39.28."

image.png.059ca401656dc70c576ba392e1ae7c72.png

This assumes UK websites won't immediately start deducting VAT for exports Ireland. 

8 hours ago, Temp said:

Impact of Brexit on exports to Ireland...

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1183380/

"Irish consumers make 70% of their online purchases from the UK"

"If goods are valued at more than €150, consumers will face not only VAT but also customs duty. The charges will either be applied by the retailer selling the goods, or by authorities here on arrival."

"..Revenue has pointed out that it has no way of knowing whether consumers will continue to buy from the UK in such numbers when additional charges begin to apply."

"Revenue gives an example of an item priced at €167, it will be subject to customs duty of €20.04 and VAT at €39.28."

image.png.059ca401656dc70c576ba392e1ae7c72.png

This assumes UK websites won't immediately start deducting VAT for exports Ireland. 

Is that correct? (Noting the comment at the end.)

Surely Irish online purchasers from the UK already face VAT, so it won't increase - rather substitute?

(Are we into the complex territory of "reverse-VAT" claims where the supplier can reclaim the UK VAT as it has been paid in the second country? I'm not up on that but came across it following 'Prof' Richard Murphy down one of his many rabbitholes.)

The customs charges exemption makes it look good for suppliers in NI.

I wonder what % of goods are covered by the exemption to customs duties for purchases under 150 Euro.

F

I've just been reading an article in the guardian and had a look at the comments section. It was an interesting echo chamber - comments along the lines of cut the North loose etc. There are some very bitter people out there!